PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Conrad ‘Assumes’ Constitution’s Commerce Clause Gives Congress Power

megimoo
12-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Sen. Conrad ‘Assumes’ Constitution’s Commerce Clause Gives Congress Power To Mandate Buying Health Insurance

(CNSNews.com) - Senator Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) told CNSNews.com that he does not know specifically where in the Constitution Congress is given the authority to require that Americans buy health insurance, as mandated in both the Senate and House health care bills, but Conrad said he assumes the power is granted through the Constitution’s Commerce clause.

At the Capitol on Tuesday, CNSNews.com asked Senator Conrad: “Could you specifically say where in the Constitution does Congress get the authority to mandate that individuals get health insurance?”

Conrad said: “No, but I’ll refer you to the legal counsel for the Senate and they’re the ones that lead there as the full legal basis for the individual mandate -- and I assume it’s in the Commerce clause.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/58988

Big Guy
12-25-2009, 10:10 AM
The "commerce clause" in section 8 of the U.S. Constitution? It reads "To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the indian tribes;".

I want to know where it says that they can force the citezens to purchase a product, that is not regulating, that is mandating.

Congress DOES NOT have the authority to force this crap down our throat!

AmPat
12-25-2009, 10:36 AM
The "commerce clause" in section 8 of the U.S. Constitution? It reads "To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the indian tribes;".

I want to know where it says that they can force the citezens to purchase a product, that is not regulating, that is mandating.

Congress DOES NOT have the authority to force this crap down our throat!

They have essentially declared war on the population. There will be people who refuse this and they will be arrested. Let enough of them be arrested and it will be the beginning of open revolt and rebellion. So far the protests have been minimized, marginalized, ignored, ridiculed and lied about. The arrest of citizens for resisting government bullying will ignite the next phase.

How's that Hope and Change working out now DUmmies?

Big Guy
12-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Hope like hell it don't come to that. But I am prepared.

Speedy
12-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not buying it. No fucking way. No fucking how. And I want to see what they are going to do about it. How far do they want to go to make me buy it?

Nubs
12-25-2009, 11:47 AM
If one looks at the Federalist Papers, I believe it is Federalist 41. The documents that define the meaningand intent behind articles in the Constitution. Madison, the most liberal of the 3 authors, states that the use of the "General Welfare Clause" is predicated upon the following criterea:

1. It is applied evenly across the entire country.

2. The government has the ability to pay for it.

So clearly, Obamacare is in violation of the intent of the "General Welfare Clause" as it does no satisfy the criteria upon which the argument is based. The violation is evident in the special deals granted to different states, so it is not applied evenly. Additionally, the government has no ability to pay for it as it will add to the deficit.

PoliCon
12-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Hope like hell it don't come to that. But I am prepared.

I am fully aware that I will end up being a political prisoner if this bill survives reconciliation.

Big Guy
12-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I am fully aware that I will end up being a political prisoner if this bill survives reconciliation.

Unfortunately I do believe it will pass, how many people will stand up, how many will just talk?

CorwinK
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
unfortunately i cant refuse to purchase the mandated healthcare...ive got military coverage whether I want it or not...i wonder if it would mandate me buying coverage anyway even while on active duty...i havent heard one way or the other. Logically I shouldnt have to but you never know anymore with this administration, this is the same guy that once upon a time wanted battle wounded troops to have private insurance cover their injuries.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/10/veterans.health.insurance/index.html

PoliCon
12-26-2009, 01:05 AM
unfortunately i cant refuse to purchase the mandated healthcare...ive got military coverage whether I want it or not...i wonder if it would mandate me buying coverage anyway even while on active duty...i havent heard one way or the other. Logically I shouldnt have to but you never know anymore with this administration, this is the same guy that once upon a time wanted battle wounded troops to have private insurance cover their injuries.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/10/veterans.health.insurance/index.html

Isn't he just so damn adorable our president Obama? /sarcasm:rolleyes: