PDA

View Full Version : Ohio mom catches young daughter shoplifting, calls cops, enquires about reward

bijou
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
When Diane Lyons of Carrollton, Ohio, caught her 6-year-old daughter shoplifting a $3.11 pack of tattoo stickers, she did what any mother would do.

She called police, who took little Shiane away.

Lyons then asked about collecting a $30 reward for turning in shoplifters, the Associated Press tells us.

"I don't think I went too far," Lyons, 31, said in a phone interview. "You've got to catch them when they first start if they do something wrong." ...link (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2009/12/ohio-mom-catches-young-daughter-shoplifting-calls-cops/1)

Asking about the reward may have been a step too far.

lacarnut
12-28-2009, 12:40 PM
The city should send the mother a bill for all costs (police man hours, etc) less the $30 reward. That would teach the both of them.

FlaGator
12-28-2009, 01:09 PM
She should have just used the methods parents of old used which was a stern talking to about right and wrong followed by a stern whipping to imprint the stern talking to on the tyke's mind... forever.

Apache
12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Lyons, 31, asked about collecting a $30 reward for turning in shoplifters but decided not to follow up because she felt bad about doing it.Translation; THe reaction I got wasn't good...:rolleyes:

I think she did the right thing in calling the cops. The reward however is way below the belt...

FlaGator
12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Translation; THe reaction I got wasn't good...:rolleyes:

I think she did the right thing in calling the cops. The reward however is way below the belt...

Calling the cops on a 6 year old? My thought is that mom's main reason for doing this was for the 30 bucks. Mom is a sell out to "The Man".

Apache
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Calling the cops on a 6 year old? My thought is that mom's main reason for doing this was for the 30 bucks. Mom is a sell out to "The Man".

According to the story this wasn't the 6 year old's first time doing this, so yes calling the cops was the right thing to do... THe reward however was an extremely scummy thing to pull...

FlaGator
12-28-2009, 02:14 PM
According to the story this wasn't the 6 year old's first time doing this, so yes calling the cops was the right thing to do... THe reward however was an extremely scummy thing to pull...

Can I infer that you are saying that you wouldn't have an issue handing your 6 year old over to the state for the state to discipline?

Apache
12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Can I infer that you are saying that you wouldn't have an issue handing your 6 year old over to the state for the state to discipline?
Chief Ronald Yeager of the Carrollton Police Department in eastern Ohio arrived at the Discount Drug Mart Dec. 15 and took the girl to the police station in his cruiser before releasing her to Lyons.In this manner, no I'd not have a problem. She wasn't booked, photographed, fingerprinted or apparently cited. She got a ride to the station to see what could happen later on down the road... I hope it worked this time. Now if the child had been put into "the system" then I would most definately have a problem. That was not the case...;)

CorwinK
12-28-2009, 03:12 PM
first time offense i think the best way to handle that is best shown in the first few minutes of that movie "Four Brothers". Works like a champ

Sonnabend
12-28-2009, 04:39 PM

Theft is theft and the age doesnt matter. There have been instances of organised groups of kids who shoplifted, and knew no one would call the cops because they were too young.

Scare the crap out of them, show them the "consequences" of being a thief, and do it NOW before the little darling gets the message they can do what they like and grows up with that belief.

"hand them over to the state"?

I prefer sitting there if I were a parent and watching whilst the little sweetie gets a cop standing over them telling them how much trouble they are in.

Shoplifting is theft.

Plain and simple. How many career criminals started off because of this kind of PC idiocy?

Nip it in the bud. Hammer the lesson home.

FlaGator
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Theft is theft and the age doesnt matter. There have been instances of organised groups of kids who shoplifted, and knew no one would call the cops because they were too young.

Scare the crap out of them, show them the "consequences" of being a thief, and do it NOW before the little darling gets the message they can do what they like and grows up with that belief.

"hand them over to the state"?

I prefer sitting there if I were a parent and watching whilst the little sweetie gets a cop standing over them telling them how much trouble they are in.

Shoplifting is theft.

Plain and simple. How many career criminals started off because of this kind of PC idiocy?

Nip it in the bud. Hammer the lesson home.

But you're a zealot, so I will discount your view. Zealots for the law don't understand compassion or that all situations are unique. As your comments prove you have you have a one size fits all view of the world which I find foolish, but you are entitled to your view as I am mine. I try to look at the world as my creator suggests I do which requires me to be understanding and compassionate as well as to seek justice. Justice without compassion does not need human intervention. It will be simply a soul-less set of rules that must be followed unquestioningly.

Besides I would have rather have spent time with the cops as opposed to having to face my mom.

Sonnabend
12-28-2009, 09:20 PM
But you're a zealot, so I will discount your view. Shoplifting - stealing is a zealot's view? It's the LAW.

Zealots for the law don't understand compassion or that all situations are uniqueI understand full well that a six year old kid that has been caught stealing repeatedly needs a harsh lesson..not a pat on the head and "you poor little tyke now dont do it again".....:rolleyes:

As your comments prove you have you have a one size fits all view of the world which I find foolish, but you are entitled to your view as I am mine."Thou shalt not steal"...sound familiar?

I try to look at the world as my creator suggests I do which requires me to be understanding and compassionate as well as to seek justice. Justice without compassion does not need human intervention. It will be simply a soul-less set of rules that must be followed unquestioningly...and the little shits that drop rocks off bridges,graffiti trains, beat up elderly people, steal from churches, attack the disabled have been doing so for many years and been coddled and given slaps on the wrist and a "stern talking to"...which accomplishes nothng except to tell the little darling that they can get away with whatever they like.

Example: ten year old starts smashing windows in the city, his parents dont care where he is, or what he is doing, and wont pay for it, the cops arrest him, and a judge hands him some commuinity service which he ignores anyway.The following day he abuses a cop, and because he is a minor, all the cop can do is reprimand him, which the kid laughs off anyway, flips the cop the finger, and walks off.

Besides I would have rather have spent time with the cops as opposed to having to face my mom.Most little brats these days dont listen to the police or their parents.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Teach them that actions have consequences, and they dont re offend. Do it early and the lesson sinks in.

PoliCon
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Theft is theft and the age doesnt matter. It does if the child is incapable of reason and understanding that what was done was wrong.

FlaGator
12-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Shoplifting - stealing is a zealot's view? It's the LAW.

I understand full well that a six year old kid that has been caught stealing repeatedly needs a harsh lesson..not a pat on the head and "you poor little tyke now dont do it again".....:rolleyes:

"Thou shalt not steal"...sound familiar?

..and the little shits that drop rocks off bridges,graffiti trains, beat up elderly people, steal from churches, attack the disabled have been doing so for many years and been coddled and given slaps on the wrist and a "stern talking to"...which accomplishes nothng except to tell the little darling that they can get away with whatever they like.

Example: ten year old starts smashing windows in the city, his parents dont care where he is, or what he is doing, and wont pay for it, the cops arrest him, and a judge hands him some commuinity service which he ignores anyway.The following day he abuses a cop, and because he is a minor, all the cop can do is reprimand him, which the kid laughs off anyway, flips the cop the finger, and walks off.

Most little brats these days dont listen to the police or their parents.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Teach them that actions have consequences, and they dont re offend. Do it early and the lesson sinks in.

You probably don't realize this but I baited you to prove a point. You operate from the point of view that your opinion is the correct one and that any stated opinion that runs contrary to yours is both wrong and an attack on you. Instead of making a general statement in reply to my general statement you opted to dissect my post and show me each point of my response is wrong and why you believe it to be wrong. I could answer you point for point but that would do nothing but motivate you to take things further. Have you ever wondered why most of your exchanges with people end up in bitter arguments that spark anger that in not in proportion with the original disagreement? Have you ever wondered why people have issues with how you interact with them?

If you you'll allow me speak freely and if you will just open your mind to the possibility that I may be on to something I think you should ask yourself why do you respond the people as if they have attacked you. You may not feel that this is what you are doing, but that is how people perceive your replies. You give the impression that you are a zealot about any subject you feel compelled to comment on. Two things, there is nothing wrong with being wrong, hell I'm wrong more often than not some days and just because someone disagrees with your opinion, they generally are not trying to belittle you as a person. They are simply disagreeing with your opinion. Being right or wrong about an opinion does not define you as a person. However, how you deal with the difference in points of view does define you.

Just something for you to consider...

Sonnabend
12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
You probably don't realize this but I baited you to prove a point. You operate from the point of view that your opinion is the correct one and that any stated opinion that runs contrary to yours is both wrong and an attack on you.

Calling me a zealot for pointing out that shoplifting is stealing. Uh huh.

Instead of making a general statement in reply to my general statement you opted to dissect my post and show me each point of my response is wrong and why you believe it to be wrong

I could answer you point for point but that would do nothing but motivate you to take things further. Have you ever wondered why most of your exchanges with people end up in bitter arguments that spark anger that in not in proportion with the original disagreement? Have you ever wondered why people have issues with how you interact with them?

I very much doubt anyone here would disagree with the concept that shop stealing is a crime.

If you you'll allow me speak freely and if you will just open your mind to the possibility that I may be on to something I think you should ask yourself why do you respond the people as if they have attacked you. You may not feel that this is what you are doing, but that is how people perceive your replies. You give the impression that you are a zealot about any subject you feel compelled to comment on.

Without going into detail, suffice it to say that I am involved in a situation such as the one we are describing right now, and five years later, the person in question is back in trouble with the police, and if he keeps heading in this direction, he will be in prison by the time he is 18.

Two things, there is nothing wrong with being wrong, hell I'm wrong more often than not some days and just because someone disagrees with your opinion, they generally are not trying to belittle you as a person.

What part of "stealing is a crime" don't you get? The OP stated that this was not the first instance of this occurring, and that so far the namby pamby kid gloves approach seems to having zero effect?

They are simply disagreeing with your opinion. Being right or wrong about an opinion does not define you as a person. However, how you deal with the difference in points of view does define you.

Never said I was right (except the part about shoplifting being shopstealing)

Just something for you to consider...

Consider what you yourself wrote

No one is handing anyone "over to the state"...this comes down to two words which I am told every conservative uses as a very strong guideline

Personal responsibility

Okay FlaGator...what would you suggest be done?

Sonnabend
12-28-2009, 10:17 PM
It does if the child is incapable of reason and understanding that what was done was wrong.

Seeing as the kid did it before, i'd say she knows already

FlaGator
12-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Calling me a zealot for pointing out that shoplifting is stealing. Uh huh.

I very much doubt anyone here would disagree with the concept that shop stealing is a crime.

Without going into detail, suffice it to say that I am involved in a situation such as the one we are describing right now, and five years later, the person in question is back in trouble with the police, and if he keeps heading in this direction, he will be in prison by the time he is 18.

What part of "stealing is a crime" don't you get? The OP stated that this was not the first instance of this occurring, and that so far the namby pamby kid gloves approach seems to having zero effect?

Never said I was right (except the part about shoplifting being shopstealing)

Consider what you yourself wrote

No one is handing anyone "over to the state"...this comes down to two words which I am told every conservative uses as a very strong guideline

Personal responsibility

I'm afraid you missed the point of my post. In the words of that great orator Emily Latella, "Never mind."

Sonnabend
12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm afraid you missed the point of my post. In the words of that great orator Emily Latella, "Never mind."

Shannon
12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd beat the holy hell out of the brat but I wouldn't have called the cops on my 6 year old.

PoliCon
12-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Seeing as the kid did it before, i'd say she knows already

No clearly she does not. Clearly the child does not understand why stealing is wrong. How many 6yo do you know who can reason? :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
You're probably right.

PoliCon
12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
You're probably right.

probably? :rolleyes: I'm always right. I'm also generally correct as well. :p

Sonnabend
12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm always right. I'm also generally correct as well.

Uh huh.....:p