PDA

View Full Version : Obama leads McCain by 46 points among homosexual voters

megimoo
07-28-2008, 12:19 AM
MARRIAGE DIGEST: Obama leads McCain by 46 points among homosexual voters

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--It's no secret that the homosexual community forms part of Barack Obama's base, and a new Harris Interactive poll shows the presumptive Democratic nominee holding a 46-point lead over Republican John McCain among that group.

Obama, who has gone further than any previous major presidential candidate in making pledges to the homosexual community,

leads McCain 60-14 percent among homosexuals, The Advocate reported. Three percent chose Libertarian Bob Barr, 1 percent Ralph Nader and 17 percent were undecided. The online poll of 2,690 adults (homosexual and non-homosexual) was conducted July 3-11.

Even though Obama hasn't publicly stated his support for "gay marriage," his comments on the issue have resulted in enthusiastic support from homosexuals.

For instance, he opposes proposed constitutional marriage amendments in California, Arizona and Florida -- a position that even John Kerry, from left-leaning Massachusetts, did not take when he was the 2004 nominee.

Kerry publicly criticized his state's high court for legalizing "gay marriage" and backed a proposed marriage amendment that would have overturned the Massachusetts ruling.

Recently, when California's high court legalized "gay marriage," Obama released a statement saying he respected the decision.

Obama also has pledged to overturn the military's don't ask, don't tell policy, which prevents homosexuals from serving openly, and the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which was passed in 1996 with the goal of giving states the option of not recognizing another state's "gay marriages.

" Kerry voted against DOMA in 1996 but when running for president in 2004 did not support its repeal.

Obama also has written letters spelling out his support for the homosexual community.

"As the Democratic nominee for President," he wrote this year to the Alice B. Toklas Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Democratic Club, "I am proud to join with and support the LGBT community in an effort to set our nation on a course that recognizes LGBT Americans with full equality under the law.

That is why I support extending fully equal rights and benefits to same sex couples under both state and federal law.... I look forward to working with you in the coming months and years, and I wish you all continued success."

CENSUS WON'T RECOGNIZE 'GAY MARRIAGES' -- Massachusetts and California recognize "gay marriage," but the 2010 census won't record such relationships, The San Jose Mercury News reported.

http://www.townhall.com/news/religion/2008/07/25/marriage_digest_obama_leads_mccain_by_46_points_am ong_homosexual_voters

lacarnut
07-28-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't understand how you can have a poll touting obama leading among homosexual voters by 46 points when you mix up homos with non-homos voters. That tells me the poll is seriously flawed. Since homos have a higher medium income than non-homos, I think many homos will vote with their pocket books in mind in greater numbers than the 14%.

megimoo
07-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Gallup poll: 58 percent oppose 'gay marriage,' half support amend.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--With Senate debate on a federal marriage amendment only days away, a new Gallup poll shows that exactly half of American adults support passage of such an amendment, and even more of them -- nearly three out of five -- oppose "gay marriage."

The poll of 1,002 adults May 8-11 shows that by a 58-39 percent margin American adults oppose redefining marriage to include homosexuals. Additionally, 50 percent favor and 47 percent oppose a marriage amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The U.S. Senate is scheduled to debate an amendment beginning June 5, with a possible vote to follow around June 7.

The numbers are similar to other Gallup polls in recent years. An August 2005 poll had 59 percent of American adults opposing "gay marriage," while a May 2004 poll had opposition at 55 percent. Support for the amendment also has been somewhat consistent -- it was at 50 percent in March 2004, 57 percent in March 2005 and 53 percent last April and May.

But the new poll shows that opposition to "gay marriage" -- as well as support for an amendment -- varies wildly according to sex, age, religion and party affiliation:

-- 66 percent of Republicans favor a constitutional marriage amendment, while 55 percent of Democrats oppose it. Likewise, 79 percent of Republicans oppose "gay marriage" while 53 percent of Democrats support it. Independents are split evenly -- 49 percent opposing it, 45 percent supporting it.
http://www.bpnews.org/printerfriendly.asp?ID=23295