PDA

View Full Version : I want a pasta machine

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Does anyone make their own pasta? Do the pasta machines work good?

Eagle
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
You'll use it once or twice then go back to how you were serving pasta before hand. Unless you are really into it don't waste your money.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 06:34 PM
You'll use it once or twice then go back to how you were serving pasta before hand. Unless you are really into it don't waste your money.

Do you have one? I thought about looking on ebay. Remember we grind our own flour!

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Does anyone make their own pasta? Do the pasta machines work good?

You eat pasta!???!!:eek::D

I'm sure it's delicious with buffalo.

I've never tried the pasta machine thing. I doubt I'd keep it up once I had it, but you probably would. Like you said, you grind your own flour.

Eagle
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Do you have one? I thought about looking on ebay. Remember we grind our own flour!

Last time I remember anyone grinding their own flour was out at Nantucket with the old windmill near the old quaker cemetary. That had to be twenty or more years ago.

marv
01-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Had a pasta machine once years ago. Never used it much after the first time or two. Sold it in a garage sale. But if you're into grinding (milling?) your own flour, I guess it'll be okay.

http://home-and-garden.become.com/atlas-pasta-machine-lasagna-attachment--compare-prices--sc841303859

Grocery stores are still cheaper and more convenient.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
You eat pasta!???!!:eek::D

I'm sure it's delicious with buffalo.

I've never tried the pasta machine thing. I doubt I'd keep it up once I had it, but you probably would. Like you said, you grind your own flour.
A buffalo is just a big cow having a bad hair day!

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Pasta machines...meh. That's like those machines you used to be able to buy at WalGreens that let you roll your own cigs. :D

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Pasta machines...meh. That's like those machines you used to be able to buy at WalGreens that let you roll your own cigs. :D

I used to do that too!

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Hey, those work great.

I used to roll cigs with pipe tobacco.

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I used to do that too!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey, those work great.

Half prince Albert and Half some Turkish one i forget the name of. Those were the good old days!

patriot45
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Rock, there are things out there called stores. In them you can get pasta premade for your convenience!
About a buck a pound!

:D

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Rock, there are things out there called stores. In them you can get pasta premade for your convenience!
About a buck a pound!

I don't think I've ever paid that much!

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Half prince Albert and Half some Turkish one i forget the name of. Those were the good old days!

I smoke good old P.A.
Like the Opry stars they say
I'll be a star tomorrow
But today, I'm a Nashville bum....

patriot45
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't think I've ever paid that much!

I'd pay a dollar not to clean up the mess you will make!

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
It wasn't top and it wasn't bull Durham.....what the hell was the other one? Sarasota needs to know , he's still a slave to demon tobacco!

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd pay a dollar not to clean up the mess you will make!
That woman goes behind me and cleans it all up! It's phenomenal. I thought you had one?

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey, those work great.

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ;)

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
It wasn't top and it wasn't bull Durham.....what the hell was the other one? Sarasota needs to know , he's still a slave to demon tobacco!

Bugler?

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Drum?

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Bugler?

Thats it! half bugler and half prince Albert. Makes um taste like a camel straight!

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Captain Black??? :D

I smoked a pipe too...

patriot45
That woman goes behind me and cleans it all up! It's phenomenal. I thought you had one?

I do! but with the messes I already make, she might draw a line at that!!

Bubba Dawg
Thats it! half bugler and half prince Albert. Makes um taste like a camel straight!

Oh man, that takes me back.

I haven't seen those brands in years.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
You just buy them colorful vegetation in vases, it makes them happy!

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM

http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/images/bugler%20pouch.jpg

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:05 PM

I smoked a pipe too...

If your going to smoke it in a pipe you use Paladin Black Cherry. I probably still have my handmade Scottish briar's.
http://www.marscigars.com/ProductImages/paladin.jpg

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/images/bugler%20pouch.jpg

Ahhhh! I can still taste it and it's been over 20 years!

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
If your going to smoke it in a pipe you use Paladin Black Cherry. I probably still have my handmade Scottish briar's.
http://www.marscigars.com/ProductImages/paladin.jpg

I've smoked a barrel of Paladin Black Cherry. Good stuff.

I think I'll dig out my pipes.

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM

I smoked a pipe too...

I liked the white pouch.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
I've smoked a barrel of Paladin Black Cherry. Good stuff.

I think I'll dig out my pipes.
If I remember correctly the Paladin was strong and you only smoked it about half way down.

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
If I remember correctly the Paladin was strong and you only smoked it about half way down.

It smokes strong but it isn't really harsh. The sweetness of the cherry helps. Very pleasant.

Smoking the bowl about half of the way down was about normal for me. It gets harsh and too moist/bubbly after that.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
It smokes strong but it isn't really harsh. The sweetness of the cherry helps. Very pleasant.

Smoking the bowl about half of the way down was about normal for me. It gets harsh and too moist/bubbly after that.

Unless you were broke!

Bubba Dawg
01-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Unless you were broke!

Well, there is that. About half the bowl was about all I wanted anyway. I smoked pretty slow and didn't heat it up too much.

One of the pleasures of a pipe is in fiddling with it.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Well, there is that. About half the bowl was about all I wanted anyway. I smoked pretty slow and didn't heat it up too much.

Smoke rings!

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM

True but it's also one of the pains. :D Why I moved on to cigars.

Rockntractor
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
True but it's also one of the pains. :D Why I moved on to cigars.

I liked Filipino's and Hondurans. Oh yeah Dominican Republic too.

megimoo
01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh man, that takes me back.

I haven't seen those brands in years.
Bugler came in a cloth pouch with draw strings.My parents had a cigarette making machine during the war.

It had a wide canvas band and a hand crank.Just put a line of Bugler in the fold along the edge and the paper under the roller and turn the little crank.When it came out on the belt just pick it up and lick the seam and tamp the ends.
When the bags were empty they were a great place to keep my marble collections.

Bugler tobacco advertising had a slouching cowboy in a ten gallon hat rolling a cigarette butt with one hand with the pouch of bugler dangling on its strings from his little finger while he was licking the seam .

If you needed a filter you had to use a cigarette holder like FDR did .
Those butt rollers were in great demand by the hippies during the sixties for rolling their joints.

RobJohnson
01-04-2010, 12:24 AM
A buffalo is just a big cow having a bad hair day!

Gingersnap
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Back to the OP:

I make fresh pasta once in a while. Usually I make ravioli to freeze but you can freeze any of it (it would be pointless to actually dry the stuff and store it).

You can't go wrong with an Imperia or Atlas model. They are old school and built to last. I can't tell you about the all-in-one plastic types since I've never owned one. I used one once at a relative's house and it worked okay for fettuccine but it was a bear to clean. That type can't make sheet pasta, if I recall.

Rockntractor
01-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Ginger!

megimoo
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks Ginger!Elton Brown did a special on making Raviolis.It should be available on the food network Elton Brown shows.

He clamped the pasta rolling machine to a ironing board to lay out the flattened sheet in a long straight line .He continued to roll out more pasta then folded the long sheet in half .The wide end of the ironing board rested on his window sill and he was outside on his porch rolling out the dough.

He had several fillings already prepared from Lobster to Chicken Masalla and several bags of pasta dough on hand.He had several different Raviolis mold/cutters that he used.You can even buy a pasta roller that uses the power takeoff of a kitchen aid mixer but it cost big bucks.

He placed a half spoon full of dough on about two inch centers mounding it up into a slight 'half egg' shape.He then 'wet with his finger between the mounds with water and along both edges the for the whole length .

Then he folded the second half sheet over the first pressing down at the edges and between the mounds to remove any air.Then with a rotary pasta cutter he cut the individual Raviolis free and put them into a 'ziplock' bag to freeze'.

Freezing uncooked Raviolis and other stuffed pasta saves a lot of time if you have friends over or are feeding a bunch of kids.Kids all love pasta, some with tomato sauce some with butter and cheese.

Gingersnap
01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Ravioli is a chore to make but it's worth it later. I don't roll the stuff out the window but it does take over my entire long counter. I also make several fillings and do the whole thing sort of factory-style.

Rockntractor
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Thats why I want one Mr.Moo! There are all kinds of neat things you can do. I'm going to watch ebay for awhile and sometimes good deals come up on overstock.com auction too!

megimoo
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Thats why I want one Mr.Moo! There are all kinds of neat things you can do. I'm going to watch ebay for awhile and sometimes good deals come up on overstock.com auction too!I'll see if I can run one down also.Those pasta rolling machines come in all price ranges from a simple hand crank job that I have to a complete electric powered Pasta/Ravoli/Maiccotti stuffing factory !

Rockntractor
01-04-2010, 11:53 AM
It will have a much better chance at regular use if it is powered. That woman isn't always handy to turn the crank, just sayin with dishes and laundry and all.

bijou
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
It will have a much better chance at regular use if it is powered. That woman isn't always handy to turn the crank, just sayin with dishes and laundry and all.

Check this out http://electricpastamachine.org/
there is even a video to show you haw to use one.