PDA

View Full Version : Arctic freeze and snow wreak havoc across the planet

hampshirebrit
01-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Arctic air and record snow falls gripped the northern hemisphere yesterday, inflicting hardship and havoc from China, across Russia to Western Europe and over the US plains.

There were few precedents for the global sweep of extreme cold and ice that killed dozens in India, paralysed life in Beijing and threatened the Florida orange crop. Chicagoans sheltered from a potentially killer freeze, Paris endured sunny Siberian cold, Italy dug itself out of snowdrifts and Poland counted at least 13 deaths in record low temperatures of about minus 25C (-13F).

And amid it all, there's still a muppet (Chinese, this time) saying it's down to Wobal Glorming:

Guo Hu, the head of the Beijing Meteorological Bureau, linked this week’s conditions to unusual atmospheric patterns caused by global warming.

More in the article (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/weather/article6975867.ece) in today's times.

SarasotaRepub
01-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Well it's friggen 2.5 degrees here right now!!!! :mad:

GW is such a crock-o-shit. It's cold in da winter and hot in da summer!!!! :rolleyes:

FlaGator
01-05-2010, 08:10 AM
It was supposed to get to 20 last night but I don't think it got below 28 in my neighborhood. Still where having 8 or 9 day where it will bet below freezing each night. Tomorrow is the exception. Low of 33. The temps are a little below normal but its the duration of freezing days that is abnormal.

coach
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
blasphemers !

everyone KNOWS freezig is all part of the models ! as is hot, rainy, cloudy, sunny or enything else.

quit whining and drink the cool-ade

SarasotaRepub
01-09-2010, 11:04 AM
When I got up to grind my coffee beans this morning it was a lovely
1 degree. :eek::D

djones520
01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
So... it was a pretty mild summer, with a particularly cold winter so far. This global warming is certainly panning out.

Don't know about you guys, but this trend keeps up, I'm gonna be more concerned about Canadian border hoppers fleeing the ice, then I am about Orlando becoming beach front property.

SarasotaRepub
01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
So... it was a pretty mild summer, with a particularly cold winter so far. This global warming is certainly panning out.

Don't know about you guys, but this trend keeps up, I'm gonna be more concerned about Canadian border hoppers fleeing the ice, then I am about Orlando becoming beach front property.

Well the Global Whatever kooks always fall back on the excuse that
Global Warming causes "COLDER" weather somewhere. :rolleyes:

I talked to my parents today and my dad said he got sleeted on this morning
walking the dawg. They live in Sarasota, FL. :D

hampshirebrit
01-09-2010, 09:16 PM
When I got up to grind my coffee beans this morning it was a lovely
1 degree. :eek::D

Was that it? Eek, you say? Pussy Americans. This is what I had today. That's a minus symbol, bizzotches, minus nineteen eff.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC02033.jpg

Ok, that's the temp in my freezer at the moment. :D The remote keeps going offscale and I'm trying to recalibrate it against a known good -cold.

It has been bloody cold though here, last night -9C, 15 in old F money. That's brrrrr cold enough for me. More snow on the way tomorrow.

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Was that it? Eek, you say? Pussy Americans. This is what I had today. That's a minus symbol, bizzotches, minus nineteen eff.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC02033.jpg

Ok, that's the temp in my freezer at the moment. :D The remote keeps going offscale and I'm trying to recalibrate it against a known good -cold.

It has been bloody cold though here, last night -9C, 15 in old F money. That's brrrrr cold enough for me. More snow on the way tomorrow.
You need a thermos to keep your tea warm!

hampshirebrit
01-09-2010, 09:31 PM

Don't worry. I only serve fresh-ground coffee beans here, and I keep them well refrigerated.

I've got the house cranked up to 26C (that's 79 Effs) at the moment, nice and toasty. It's nice being snug inside looking out the window at all the people going to and fro in winter wonderland. It's been nice being out and about in winter wonderland, too. So far, I'm enjoying the winter.

I'm really glad I don't have to drive anywhere to get to work, though. That would be teh shitzer, especially in my car.

SarasotaRepub
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Don't worry. I only serve fresh-ground coffee beans here, and I keep them well refrigerated.

I've got the house cranked up to 26C (that's 79 Effs) at the moment, nice and toasty. It's nice being snug inside looking out the window at all the people going to and fro in winter wonderland. It's been nice being out and about in winter wonderland, too. So far, I'm enjoying the winter.

I'm really glad I don't have to drive anywhere to get to work, though. That would be teh shitzer, especially in my car.

I want to move back to Florida. :mad: :D

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM

I've got the house cranked up to 26C (that's 79 Effs) at the moment, nice and toasty. It's nice being snug inside looking out the window at at all the people going to and fro in winter wonderland. It's been nice being out and about in winter wonderland, too. So far, I'm enjoying the winter.

I spent my day thawing out one of my customers houses. It took all day with two forced air 70,000 BTU heaters to get the water to run again. She had been working in Colorado the past week and was away from home. We bought a new heater with a thermostat set on 40 degrees to put under the house, it won't happen again!

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Shannon lives there!

SarasotaRepub
01-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Shannon lives there!

I put up with that before. :mad::D

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I put up with that before. :mad::D

Your a refugee!

djones520
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM

So do I. One of the state-side assignments I'd take in a heartbeat.

hampshirebrit
01-09-2010, 10:51 PM

I spent some time in 1989 on the Florida Keys, April-May, it was. Nice and warm, just ideal. I rented a big fat convertible yank-mobile, can't remember which one, Cadillac probably. Headed north to Orlando, a bit too warm with the top down.

SarasotaRepub
01-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I spent some time in 1989 on the Florida Keys, April-May, it was. Nice and warm, just ideal. I rented a big fat convertible yank-mobile, can't remember which one, Cadillac probably. Headed north to Orlando, a bit too warm with the top down.

Well I got up this morning at 8:30 to let the dawgs out and it was -2.7. :mad::D

hampshirebrit
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Well I got up this morning at 8:30 to let the dawgs out and it was -2.7. :mad::D

That is brrrrrrr cold.

It's a bit warmer here today. Around freezing point. We're supposed to be getting more snow today.

I actually like it here when it's really cold. It usually means that the sky is clear. There is nothing quite like high blue sunny cold days, especially when there's snow on the ground, to lift the spirits, and the novelty of it is good for me, and good for other people too, judging by how more friendly and helpful people seem to be.

I've got everything I need within easy walking distance so I'm not really inconvenienced by it like some of my friends have been.

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Anybody seen Al Gore?

Speedy
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Those things scare me. They keep hot things hot, cold things cold. No moving parts, no electronics, no
heating/cooling elements. How the fuck does it KNOW?:eek:

Rockntractor
01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Those things scare me. They keep hot things hot, cold things cold. No moving parts, no electronics, no
heating/cooling elements. How the fuck does it KNOW?:eek:

Technology by Satan!:eek:

FlaGator
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
This reminds me of an old episode of the twilight zone where the Earth is getting close to the sun and the temperatures are rising. Everyone is trying to say cool but the all know that sooner or later everyone will be dead. The main character wakes up and finds out that it was all a dream. The Earth isn't getting closer to the sun. It getting farther away and soon everyone will be frozen to death.

lacarnut
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I spent my day thawing out one of my customers houses. It took all day with two forced air 70,000 BTU heaters to get the water to run again. She had been working in Colorado the past week and was away from home. We bought a new heater with a thermostat set on 40 degrees to put under the house, it won't happen again!

Most of my neighbors have older houses that are jacked up off the ground with the water pipes underneath. Going to make the plumbers rich with all the broken pipes. Glad my house is on a concrete foundation. Two more nights and this sub freezing weather will be gone. Hopefully for the rest of the year.

Rockntractor
01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Most of my neighbors have older houses that are jacked up off the ground with the water pipes underneath. Going to make the plumbers rich with all the broken pipes. Glad my house is on a concrete foundation. Two more nights and this sub freezing weather will be gone. Hopefully for the rest of the year.

A slab doesn't always save you. I know of people that have had to break up the slab with a jack hammer to fix busted water pipes when there were power outages.

lacarnut
01-11-2010, 12:33 AM
A slab doesn't always save you. I know of people that have had to break up the slab with a jack hammer to fix busted water pipes when there were power outages.

I know but I have turned the outside water faucets on in the am and in the pm so my water pipes are not going to freeze up. My poor plants might not make it though. Covered them up but tropical plants will have a tough time.

I grew up in the house next door and we had a week of temps in single digits for about a week. Could not get a plumber at any price so my dad and I got underneath the house and fixed the broken pipes. Nothing like being cold, wet and muddy for most of the day.

PoliCon
01-11-2010, 12:37 AM
it's currently -1 here. Thank GOD for AGW! I hate to immagine how cold it would be otherwise!!

swirling_vortex
01-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Anybody seen Al Gore?
http://www.myfoxillinois.com/dpps/news/dpgo-al-gore-ice-sculpture-in-alaska-fc-20100107_5460130

Al Gore Ice Sculpture Created in Alaska

A liquor store in Alaska has put a former vice president on ice.

A 2-ton ice sculpture of Al Gore now sits outside Thrifty Liquor in Fairbanks. The pair who crafted the sculpture said they designed the piece to get Gore's attention. They said they want the vice president to visit so he can discuss global warming.

"We just would like Mr. Gore to realize that there isn't hot water coming out of both caps here, it's pretty cold here in the winter still," said Craig Compeau.

"While Steve Bean was carving this, it was 32 below. So it still gets cold and we just question some of the motives on the whole man-made global warming theory. We're sure that there is a little something to it. We just disagree with the extent of man on the whole big picture."

"Frozen Gore" was made to appear as if he is spouting hot air. The store put up a similar statue last year.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported that the hot air effect works thanks to a system that pipes the exhaust from a Ford F-350 out of Gore's open mouth. Compeau will fire up the truck periodically this winter to create the effect.

The store posted pictures of the sculpture up on their Web site. The owner claims the site has attracted over a million hits.

Sonnabend
01-11-2010, 03:03 AM
It's a very pleasant 29 degrees C here :D:D

*runs like hell*

PoliCon
01-11-2010, 09:54 AM

*runs like hell*dude - if you wanna upset us you're going to have translate out of commie temps.:rolleyes:

lacarnut
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

*runs like hell*

Smart Ass.:)