PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Hippy Wednesday.

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I think we've reached our potential high of 23 F already. The wind is kicking up, it's dreary, and we're ready to slide into the freezer. :(

Everybody on CU enjoys bashing the hippies every chance we get (myself included) but there are some hippy contributions to society/culture that have become kind of mainstreamed and positive: organic veggies, composting, yoga, Cherry Garcia ice cream, granola bars, etc. Being a true Crunchy Conservative, nobody understands this better than I do. I'm happy as a clam when I clean my guns while wearing Birkies and listening to some sappy New Age music. :D

TOTD: What hippy-related things do you enjoy while remaining both conservative and capitalist?

djones520
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
TOTD: None?

linda22003
01-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I can't think of any, unless collecting single malt scotches is a hippie activity.

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
You guys aren't even trying.

Chair massages, broomstick skirts, "artisan" bread, glow-in-the-dark anything, Intentional Communities (most recently popularized by hippies), weed decriminalization/medical marijuana laws, chain organic stores like Whole Foods, holistic medicine, etc.

Speedy
01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
New Age Music, trail mix, tarot cards

djones520
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Air Force told me I had to stop wearing Broomstick skirts, so I go back to my original answer.

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
New Age Music, trail mix, tarot cards

See? :D

aerojarod
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Hummus and falafel are both hippy-ish and delish.

linda22003
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Artisan bread? We pay $5.75 for that at Wegman's. Surely hippies can't afford that.

Rebel Yell
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I seriously can't think of anything. We were doing the organic thing before the hippies here. We just called it a garden, though.

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Artisan bread? We pay $5.75 for that at Wegman's. Surely hippies can't afford that.

They make their own and they sell it to high-end retailers. "Laurel's Kitchen" started the bread-making mania and that's like the Hippy Bible on cooking. ;)

megimoo
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I think we've reached our potential high of 23 F already. The wind is kicking up, it's dreary, and we're ready to slide into the freezer. :(

Everybody on CU enjoys bashing the hippies every chance we get (myself included) but there are some hippy contributions to society/culture that have become kind of mainstreamed and positive: organic veggies, composting, yoga, Cherry Garcia ice cream, granola bars, etc. Being a true Crunchy Conservative, nobody understands this better than I do. I'm happy as a clam when I clean my guns while wearing Birkies and listening to some sappy New Age music. :D

TOTD: What hippy-related things do you enjoy while remaining both conservative and capitalist?Wearing A Bikinis, Oh Be still my surging heart !

linda22003
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Wearing A Bikinis, Oh Be still my surging heart !

Calm down, Megi. She said "Birkies", which are hardly fantasy material.

http://www.womenrunningshoes.com/birkenstock_shoes/images/birkenstock_walking_shoes1.jpg

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Calm down, Megi. She said "Birkies", which are hardly fantasy material.

http://www.womenrunningshoes.com/birkenstock_shoes/images/birkenstock_walking_shoes1.jpg

LOL! :D

FlaGator
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned sex outside of wedlock. It was the hippies that altered the social prohibitions against it.

Apache
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
LOL! :D

I had to do a double read on that myself....:p

Although a girl in a bikini cleaning a gun....:o

We're hovering at 15 right now and expecting 4 to 7 inches of snow, just had a little teaser flurry pass through.

noonwitch
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
It's in the 20s, and we are expecting snow later.

Positive hippie contributions: 60s rock and roll. Some of the best music ever made, and the foundation for all the music we listen to today. The British Invasion, the San Francisco Sound, and Motown. Great music.

Some of the art is good from that time, too. I like bright colors.

linda22003
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned sex outside of wedlock. It was the hippies that altered the social prohibitions against it.

I knew there had to be SOMETHING to thank them for. :D

hampshirebrit
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Listen to Grateful Dead albums now and then ... does that count?

Speedy
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
See? :D

I listen to New Age because it helps me write. Trail Mix is more because of my survivalist leanings than because of any hippie nature. Tarot Cards is just something I like to do. It was always a good conversation starter when hitting on women.

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I listen to New Age because it helps me write. Trail Mix is more because of my survivalist leanings than because of any hippie nature. Tarot Cards is just something I like to do. It was always a good conversation starter when hitting on women.

I was going to say that I collect Tarot decks and find them fascinating but I can see that our interests here diverge pretty radically. :p

Speedy
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I was going to say that I collect Tarot decks and find them fascinating but I can see that our interests here diverge pretty radically. :p

A couple of years ago I worked at a call center. The system would go down a couple of times a week and when it did, all the women on my side of the floor would run over to have a fast three card spread done. I was amazed at how many women believed in those things.

noonwitch
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
A couple of years ago I worked at a call center. The system would go down a couple of times a week and when it did, all the women on my side of the floor would run over to have a fast three card spread done. I was amazed at how many women believed in those things.

I read them for some people, it's a remnant from my wicca days. It's easy to convince people you know really well that you're psychic. If you know their dramas, it's easy to use a card reading to give a warning about future implications of their behavior, or to predict good will come from something positive.

If you're reading them for strangers, well a degree in psych or social work comes in handy. It's all about asking the right questions. It doesn't matter if your medium is tarot cards, a crystal ball or rune stones. It's more about the psychology.

Speedy
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
If you're reading them for strangers, well a degree in psych or social work comes in handy. It's all about asking the right questions. It doesn't matter if your medium is tarot cards, a crystal ball or rune stones. It's more about the psychology.

I try not to let the psycology enter into it. I go strictly by interpreting the cards as they come up. The person I am reading them for then interperets what I give them in their own way.

RobJohnson
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the cold, it's already 68 here outside.

I'm just killing time before work. There have been several first of the year issues that are inherent to my field. It's been busy, real busy.

TOTD: None that I can think of.

PoliCon
01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
TOTD: I reject everything hippy out of hand especially their clothing - their music - their attitudes - their food - I'm practially Eric Cartman when it comes to hippies. . . . .

FlaGator
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
The Beatles!

Rockntractor
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
TOTD: I reject everything hippy out of hand especially their clothing - their music - their attitudes - their food - I'm practially Eric Cartman when it comes to hippies. . . . .

They would have hollowed you out and made a bong!

lacarnut
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM

What, no doobies.