PDA

View Full Version : FLYING BRIDGE :) - talk about cool!

PoliCon
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
http://frozenly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/flying_bridge4.jpg

check it out

http://frozenly.com/2009/12/flying-bridge/

Gingersnap
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
That is, indeed, hyper-cool. But is it more efficient in some way than a conventional design?

PoliCon
01-06-2010, 03:51 PM
That is, indeed, hyper-cool. But is it more efficient in some way than a conventional design?

well it does take away the drawbridge ramp jump for chase scenes . . . .

hampshirebrit
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Exactly what I was wondering. Holland and Belgium have loads of the conventional kind.

But looking at it, one only needs one set of lifting gear, whereas the other types need either an island in the middle with rotating gear to turn the roadway 90 degrees off (needing a wide canal) or a drawbridge with motors on each side.

One still needs barriers on each side, though, to stop the cars driving in to the water.

stsinner
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
One still needs barriers on each side, though, to stop the cars driving in to the water.

You only need these safety precautions in America, because if Americans can die by doing something stupid, they will.. When I lived in Switzerland, I once approached a rushing stream of mountain snow run-off that was cradled on each side by the 12-foot concrete wall that I was standing at the top of with no railings or warnings of any kind.. I immediately thought this was very unsafe!!!! But then I realized that it's only unsafe for stupid people, and the Swiss didn't seem to need these kinds of safeguards. My poor countryfolk.... While I was in Switzerland, I was building the machines that I would be servicing back in America, and while assembling machines for all parts of the world, I was surprised to see all the extra safeties that had to be added to machines destined for America.. We really just have very little collective common sense.. We could approach a machine with a knife cutting sheets of plastic at certain intervals, and we need a bright warning sticker telling us not to stick our hand in it because it's sharp...

hampshirebrit
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
You only need these safety precautions in America, because if Americans can die by doing something stupid, they will.. When I lived in Switzerland, I once approached a rushing stream of mountain snow run-off that was cradled on each side by the 12-foot concrete wall that I was standing at the top of with no railings or warnings of any kind.. I immediately thought this was very unsafe!!!! But then I realized that it's only unsafe for stupid people, and the Swiss didn't seem to need these kinds of safeguards. My poor countryfolk.... While I was in Switzerland, I was building the machines that I would be servicing back in America, and while assembling machines for all parts of the world, I was surprised to see all the extra safeties that had to be added to machines destined for America.. We really just have very little collective common sense.. We could approach a machine with a knife cutting sheets of plastic at certain intervals, and we need a bright warning sticker telling us not to stick our hand in it because it's sharp...

You might be right. Not sure it's a common sense thing, though. Health and Safety OCD seems to be a disease that the English speaking world seems to be succumbing to faster than any other.

I doubt if the USA could re-do the Apollo missions now. It would be considered too dangerous. I walked to school and back when they landed on the moon. Most kids in the UK in 2010 get driven to school and back.

In Belgium, where I work as often as I can, you can still smoke in bars, and have your dog with you if you want. Hope it lasts.

PoliCon
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
You might be right. Not sure it's a common sense thing, though. Health and Safety OCD seems to be a disease that the English speaking world seems to be succumbing to faster than any other.

I doubt if the USA could re-do the Apollo missions now. It would be considered too dangerous. I walked to school and back when they landed on the moon. Most kids in the UK in 2010 get driven to school and back.

In Belgium, where I work as often as I can, you can still smoke in bars, and have your dog with you if you want. Hope it lasts.

It's an aspect of the feminizing of our society complicated by PC and progressivism.

Eagle
01-06-2010, 08:18 PM

It is cool but as far as efficiency goes I don't think that they care because it will collect millions of euros just as a tourist attraction for many years to come.

PoliCon
01-07-2010, 02:52 AM
It is cool but as far as efficiency goes I don't think that they care because it will collect millions of euros just as a tourist attraction for many years to come.

still one engine as opposed to two - and if the have it balanced properly - it will require very little effort to move it . . . .