PDA

View Full Version : Councilman Argues Against Removing Public Garlic Plants For Fear Of Vampires

PoliCon
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
The residents of Lawndale, California are causing a stink over the town's plants. Apparently, the roads are lined with garlic--which either smells like skunk or marijuana depending on who you talk to. KTLA did a report on the dispute and spoke with Councilman Jim Ramsey who argued against the removal of the plants:

"The only reason we had garlic put in was so we could keep the vampires out of town. And since we have had garlic I haven't seen one single solitary vampire in town."

NO JOKE! Watch the video HERE (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/06/city-councilman-argues-ag_n_413594.html)

noonwitch
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I think the councilman was joking about vampires, and his real opposition to removing the plants was based on the cost. At least, I hope so.

What kind of garlic smells like weed, anyways? Those are two odors that are very distinct and different from each other.

djones520
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
I think the councilman was joking about vampires, and his real opposition to removing the plants was based on the cost. At least, I hope so.

What kind of garlic smells like weed, anyways? Those are two odors that are very distinct and different from each other.

From the sounds of it, this is probably a part of California who's residents minds are so baked they can't tell the differance anymore.

Gingersnap
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
He was joking and the people who are complaining should take a minute and realize that garlic is a significant agricultural crop in Kali. It's also extremely "green". Garlic reproduces itself, it crowds out weeds, it doesn't require additional water for ornamental purposes, the flowers are attractive and support bees, it doesn't need to be pruned, it's virtually indestructible, and it won't support any noxious diseases that could infect other plants. And it keeps both real vampires and pathetic teenage girls away.

They need to get over it.

noonwitch
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
He was joking and the people who are complaining should take a minute and realize that garlic is a significant agricultural crop in Kali. It's also extremely "green". Garlic reproduces itself, it crowds out weeds, it doesn't require additional water for ornamental purposes, the flowers are attractive and support bees, it doesn't need to be pruned, it's virtually indestructible, and it won't support any noxious diseases that could infect other plants. And it keeps both real vampires and pathetic teenage girls away.

They need to get over it.

I love the smell of garlic. I cook with it frequently, and it makes my house smell so good. Whether cooked or fresh, the odor of garlic tells me that good food is coming soon.

Gingersnap
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I love the smell of garlic. I cook with it frequently, and it makes my house smell so good. Whether cooked or fresh, the odor of garlic tells me that good food is coming soon.

People have just gotten so delicate lately. They can't abide any smell, sight, or temperature that doesn't meet their own personal standards.

I'm not wild about the smell of growing garlic or wild onions but I'm not going to collapse because of it, either. Evey year I grow paperwhites inside in the winter and they smell awful if you are within 3 feet of them. So what? They look beautiful. :)

MountainMan
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
This fits perfectly into the theme going on over in Forks, Wa. at the moment. :rolleyes:

FeebMaster
01-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Better safe than sorry.

Would you want vampires in your town?

Gingersnap
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Better safe than sorry.

Would you want vampires in your town?

It's too late - they already have a city government.

noonwitch
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
After all this garlic talk, I went out and got Middle Eastern food for lunch. It was yummy and very garlicky.

djones520
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
After all this garlic talk, I went out and got Middle Eastern food for lunch. It was yummy and very garlicky.

Closest to middle eastern food I've had was Kyrgy food, which isn't very Middle Eastern. Might have to find a restaurant when I'm up in Detroit next week.

PoliCon
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
what I wanna know is - what are they doing to keep warewolves away . . . .

FeebMaster
01-07-2010, 03:18 PM
It's too late - they already have a city government.

Good point.

Jim Ramsey is craftier than I thought.

Rebel Yell
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
which either smells like skunk or marijuana

Good weed has a noticeable skunky smell.;)

noonwitch
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Closest to middle eastern food I've had was Kyrgy food, which isn't very Middle Eastern. Might have to find a restaurant when I'm up in Detroit next week.

Pita Cafe:
25282 Greenfield
Oak Park, MI
(248)968-2225

Greenfield just south of I-696 (the closest thing you'll see to the autobahn in this country). This is where I got my lunch today, because it's around the corner from my credit union. They are the best, imo, and they are always busy at mealtimes. The staff is very nice, and they have a lot of female employees, which is not true of all ME restaurants. There's also a really nice jewish bookstore in the adjacent strip mall. Oak Park is an interesting suburb.

Royal Kabob
3236 Caniff
Hamtramck, MI
(313)872-9454

About a mile East of I-75. Exit Holbrook and follow the 75 service drive north to Caniff, turn right. The food is good, and it's a new business. There isn't very good parking, though.

Cedarland
13007 W. Warren
Dearborn, MI
(313)582-4849
Warren is the main drag through the Arab part of Dearborn. You can get to it from I-94, but I would advise not getting off at the Warren exit if you are not into seeing urban decay. Take I-94 west to the Addison/Ford RD exit. Turn right, then make a left at the light. The next light is Wyoming. Turn right, proceed about a mile or so to Warren, and turn left. Wyoming is the city line between Dearborn and Detroit. Cedarland is not very far down on your left.

Have fun during your visit. You can get Pistons tickets pretty cheap right now, because they suck so badly. It's worth it if they are playing a team you like.

The Henry Ford Museum is always worth a visit, if you have time. They have some great displays of technology and of history. They've got presidential limos, and I think that they have the one in which JFK was shot. Obviously, they have GR Ford's limo. They also bought one of Montgomery AL's old city buses and restored it as a tribute to Rosa Parks. I like the vintage neon signs they have there-an old McDonald's sign, an original Holiday Inn sign, etc. I don't think the Greenfield Village part is open in the winter, but if it is, you could see Edison's lab. I think Henry himself paid to bring it here, because he was such an admirer of Edison.

I'm not 100% sure about the JFK limo-whether it was the one he was shot while riding in, or if was another one. I'm not sure if Earl Ruby is still alive, but I hope he or his heirs someday donate the gun his brother used to shoot Oswald-Earl got it when the government released it, 30 years or so after the assassination. Earl owned a dry cleaner on Livernois in Detroit-it's still there, and is still called Earl Ruby Cleaners.

The only american history exhibits I've seen that are better than Henry Ford Museum's are at the Smithsonian.