PDA

View Full Version : The Thursday After Thursday Thread

FlaGator
01-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Cold this morning but it the high will get to 57 today which is 10 degree warmer than it has been the last week. A remote possibility of snow come Friday...

TOTD: I had laser surgery on the upper and lower gums of the left side of my mouth yesterday afternoon. They also did a bone graft after extracting a tooth. The tooth extraction hurt a little bit last night but nothing major. The laser portion, however, has been completely pain free. Not to get to graphic, they opened my gums with the laser, scrapped the roots and bone and then resealed the incision with the laser. Today it hurts not at all. I am very surprised.

Are there any new medical techniques that you find surprising or even a bit miraculous? The fact that the such and invasive procedure could be performed on me, in a sensitive area like the mouth, pretty much pain free is amazing.

djones520
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
TOTD: I've thankfully have had almost no invasive procedures done, the worst being my wisdom teeth extraction. When one of the sockets got an infection, the oral surgeon had to go in and clean it out by hand. There was no miraculous method for pain reduction there. Was probably the most painful experience I've ever had in my life. I guess the sedative they normally give to numb the regions doesn't work when there is an infection. He still gave me two shots just to see if it'll work, but no go.

lacarnut
01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Nightly Temp in the low 20's the rest of the week and highs in the mid 40's. Too damn cold.

TOTD: After spending 10's of thousands of dollars on root canals, caps and partials, they could not be salvaged any more so I had all of them pulled. Hated having to use that gunk with dentures so I had dental implants done. 6 titanium pins on top and 4 on the bottom. I spent 6 hours in the dentist chair. I would advise anyone to get knocked out cause I had a good bit of pain when the shots wore off and he had to give another one. However, they work great and well worth the expense. I can even chew up a tough piece of meat.

linda22003
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
The thing that amazes me is laparascopic surgery. You can take anything from gall bladders to babies out through the bellybutton these days, it seems.

Gingersnap
01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Well, it's cold - about -5 F right now and that's up from the nighttime low. We will be clear but highs will only just make into the double digits.

TOTD: I haven't personally had a lot of medical intervention (and certainly not recently). I keep waiting for them to come up with some miraculous surgery for my feet (Morten's neuroma) but so far, no luck.

The coolest thing by far that I know about is the cyber knife. This is exactly what I expect out of uber-cool technology - a targeted cancer treatment to destroy inoperable tumors. I also think that using laparoscopic surgery to do gastric bypasses on enormous people is also fairly amazing. :eek:

Rockntractor
01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Well, it's cold - about -5 F right now and that's up from the nighttime low. We will be clear but highs will only just make into the double digits.

TOTD: I haven't personally had a lot of medical intervention (and certainly not recently). I keep waiting for them to come up with some miraculous surgery for my feet (Morten's neuroma) but so far, no luck.

The coolest thing by far that I know about is the cyber knife. This is exactly what I expect out of uber-cool technology - a targeted cancer treatment to destroy inoperable tumors. I also think that using laparoscopic surgery to do gastric bypasses on enormous people is also fairly amazing. :eek:

Unfortunately the cyber knife doesn't work on everyone but it has saved many lives.

Gingersnap
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately the cyber knife doesn't work on everyone but it has saved many lives.

Well, nothing does work on everyone but I bet it would work on a lot more people if it was used earlier and was more available.

Rockntractor
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Well, nothing does work on everyone but I bet it would work on a lot more people if it was used earlier and was more available.

The problem with my friend was the depth and the area of the tumor. it sounded like it was tailor made for her but the hospital said no and gave her chemo instead.

aerojarod
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Having not had any personal experience with this I can't claim to be an expert... but I have read recently that there are surgeons working on a technique to perform abdominal procedures (appexdix, gall blader removal, etc) on women, through an incision inside the hoo-haa.

Apprently the pain is minimal and the recovery time is nil.

linda22003
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
And I don't claim to actually know where the "hoo haa" is located, but hysterectomies are commonly done through the vagina. It's well past the experimental stage. I'll look forward to learning more about the "hoo haa" technique you mention.

PoliCon
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM

don't worry - Obamacare will make it unavailable to anyone. It will be too much expense.

Rockntractor
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
don't worry - Obamacare will make it unavailable to anyone. It will be too much expense.

it will be available to him and the family members of politicians. The important protected class! They make so many sacrifices for us you know.

PoliCon
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
it will be available to him and the family members of politicians. The important protected class! They make so many sacrifices for us you know.

so true. so true. They make all our hard decisions for us - like what temp to set our thermostats at - I mean seriously! I am so glad to not have to worry about that anymore!