PDA

View Full Version : New BCS chief defends system

MountainMan
01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- The new BCS executive director officially began his tenure Thursday by saying the often-criticized postseason represents a consensus among the 120 schools that play major college football.

Bill Hancock said a playoff at college football's highest level would lead to more injuries, conflict with final exams, kill the bowl system and diminish the importance of the regular season.

ESPN Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4805271)

A consensus huh? Maybe he is in tune with Al Gore as well?

More injuries huh? Lets see, does extending the season 40 friggen days from the last game most of these teams played decrease the chance? Can an athlete really get back into a game after a month off?

Conflict with final exams? This just deserves a rolling eyes to be honest... :rolleyes:

Kill the bowl system? What he really means is it will kill the bowl compensation package for the administrators of these bowls, some of which reach into the high hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This last one kills me. Diminish the importance of the regular season. Lets see here, in professional football and I-AA, you only make the playoffs if you do well in the regular season and win your conference. The wild card fills the gaps in both. How in god's name does it diminish the regular season?

Cant wait for four more years of deceit in college football, can you?

Nubs
01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I may be labeled a heretic after this, but here it goes: WHO GIVES A FLYING F*CK!!!! Time for people to stop living vicariously through college sports teams. The number of people that live and breath a college sport team is absolutely sickening. It is even worse when the person in question has never attended the college.It's only a game for sh*ts sake. You are cheering for persons that, if it were not for a ball and hoop, would be selling crack.

Bubba Dawg
01-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Nubs. I hear ya, Noble Mon.

But this is the Sports area.

And it's about FOOTBALL.

That's a whole other Order of Being.

Plus, one of the teams in the Championship Game is in the SEC, so you know that this is serious.

Jfor
01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Roll Tide bitches!

MountainMan
01-08-2010, 12:43 AM
I may be labeled a heretic after this, but here it goes: WHO GIVES A FLYING F*CK!!!! Time for people to stop living vicariously through college sports teams. The number of people that live and breath a college sport team is absolutely sickening. It is even worse when the person in question has never attended the college.It's only a game for sh*ts sake. You are cheering for persons that, if it were not for a ball and hoop, would be selling crack.

Why even post this garbage? FFS....I don't have a real dog in this fight but I am a fan of football in general, especially college football. If anyone cares about keeping and maintaining the credibility of college football, than you should care about the crooked BCS system which is designed for one thing and one thing only...to funnel money to certain colleges so they can keep their overpaid athletic directors rolling in money and their alumni drunk in cheap ass beer.

ralph wiggum
01-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Interfering with finals. :rolleyes:

And you people worry about that in every other college sport? NO! Every other college sport is determined ON THE FIELD!

By all rights, Alabama should now have to play Boise State for the REAL national title.

This year was unusual with five unbeaten teams before the bowls, but it would have been a lot more equitable and interesting to see some sort of tournament or playoffs.

MountainMan
01-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Interfering with finals. :rolleyes:

And you people worry about that in every other college sport? NO! Every other college sport is determined ON THE FIELD!

By all rights, Alabama should now have to play Boise State for the REAL national title.

This year was unusual with five unbeaten teams before the bowls, but it would have been a lot more equitable and interesting to see some sort of tournament or playoffs.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read that too.....:D

Bubba Dawg
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I'd like to see a playoff in NCAA football instead of the BCS.

But I prefer the BCS to the poll voting that determined the champion before BCS came about.

For me a playoff would be the best way to go.

Nubs
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Can anyone honestly believe they want a BCS for the sole intent as to see who is best?? They do it for the money, period. This may be sobering but to a college, you are a source on income. As a student, in tuition, parking fines, and housing. As Alumni, hopefully a yearly donation.