PDA

View Full Version : Funereal Friday

linda22003
01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
(and no, that's NOT a typo for "funeral").

Cold and sunny in the DC area; another frosting of snow last evening but not much to speak of.

TOTD: A friend's mother died of breast cancer yesterday; funeral arrangements are pending. What plans, if any, have you made for your funeral and communicated to friends and family? What arrangements do you think would be appropriate for you?
Cremation and some very standard old Anglican hymns will give me the right sendoff.

FlaGator
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Warmer but rainy to day. The artic conditions set in again tonight and tomorrow.

TOTD: I want to be cremated. After that I don't really care what gets done.

marv
01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Temp at -4 and wind chill about -20. Wind chill warning 'till tomorrow evening. A tad unusual for the Ozarks........

TOTD: My wife and I have pre-paid plans with the local funeral home. We also provided written instructions including info on life insurance, relatives names and locations, info for obits, and inurnment in Arlington Nat'l for both of us.

Nothing like being prepared for peace of mind.

djones520
01-08-2010, 09:15 AM
TOTD: None. Don't know what I want done yet. If nothing else, the USAF will cover costs, but I just haven't been able to determine what I want done, since I know my wife won't just throw my body into the woods like I asked.

Gingersnap
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
It's 2 F and that's a BIG improvement over the past couple of days. We will continue to warm up over the weekend.

TOTD: I expect to be buried in the same cemetery where I walk and birdwatch. I will have a real gravestone (I'm not getting buried in the lawn-mower park part of the place). I will have the exact same Anglican funeral and graveside service that has sent millions into the Great Beyond. I'll be a traditionalist to the bitter end. ;)

I spend more time in cemeteries than most people and I'm keenly aware of the fact that they are one of the very few places left that offer open space, visual beauty, peace and quiet, and also serve as a refuge for wildlife. I'm all for that.

If there weren't a bunch of dead bodies under the sod, you just know that all that open space would be ruined by condos or schools or shopping centers.

linda22003
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I spend more time in cemeteries than most people and I'm keenly aware of the fact that they are one of the very few places left that offer open space, visual beauty, peace and quiet, and also serve as a refuge for wildlife. I'm all for that.

More evidence that you and I are the same person. I love old cemeteries especially, and want to go back to Pere Lachaise on our next trip to Paris (if this cold snap ever moves off that seems to be covering multiple continents). http://www.pere-lachaise.com/perelachaise.php

RobJohnson
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Sunny & warm today, no wind.

Last day of the work week, that makes me smile. :)

TOTD: I have a very large sum of life insurance for a single guy with no kids. I don't bring up the final nap due to the bad economy. I would hate for my family to come up with any early ideas. :eek:

Cremation is about the only way to go here in the Southwest. Sprinkle me around the brothels.

FlaGator
01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
It's 2 F and that's a BIG improvement over the past couple of days. We will continue to warm up over the weekend.

TOTD: I expect to be buried in the same cemetery where I walk and birdwatch. I will have a real gravestone (I'm not getting buried in the lawn-mower park part of the place). I will have the exact same Anglican funeral and graveside service that has sent millions into the Great Beyond. I'll be a traditionalist to the bitter end. ;)

If there weren't a bunch of dead bodies under the sod, you just know that all that open space would be ruined by condos or schools or shopping centers.

I don't know about that. I've seen 'Poltergeist' 5 times and developers enjoy building on burial grounds... especially indian burial grounds.

linda22003
01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't know about that. I've seen 'Poltergeist' 5 times and developers enjoy building on burial grounds... especially indian burial grounds.

It's all perfectly innocent until skeletons explode up into the swimming pool. :rolleyes:
http://puppatoons.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/poltpoolsw8.jpg

Actually, I'm looking forward to going to the Catacombs on this visit to Paris; I've never been before. My husband says he will wait for me at a cafe. He is NOT interested.

PoliCon
01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
TOTD: We already have our funereal arrangements taken care of. We are to be laid out in "state" at the church for 2 days. On one or the other of those days the Office of the Dead will be sung. On the third day a requiem mass and interment in the plot we already have. It pays to be prepared.

RobJohnson
01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a plot back in Illinois, unless I'm living there when I pass, it won't be used.

It's close to my grandparents, great aunts & great uncles that are laid to rest. (RIP, I miss them)

RobJohnson
01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
TOTD: We already have our funereal arrangements taken care of. We are to be laid out in "state" at the church for 2 days. On one or the other of those days the Office of the Dead will be sung. On the third day a requiem mass and interment in the plot we already have. It pays to be prepared.

I've heard of cults doing that.

linda22003
01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't understand the term "lying in state" as Poli uses it here. That's big in this area for black funerals; people will say there will be "lying in state" at a particular funeral home. A viewing is one thing, but lying "in state" is done for leaders as part of a formal state funeral.

Gingersnap
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Luckily, my ultimate resting place is loaded with the movers and shakers of early Denver history so there are no Indians involved. ;)

FlaGator
01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't understand the term "lying in state" as Poli uses it here. That's big in this area for black funerals; people will say there will be "lying in state" at a particular funeral home. A viewing is one thing, but lying "in state" is done for leaders as part of a formal state funeral.

in a state of immobility.

Gingersnap
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I've got to say that the whole "viewing" thing creeps me out. I've seen dead people and they're.....dead. There's nothing there once the spirit has gone. Why would you want to stare at an empty vessel? I get treating the discarded body with respect but I don't get staring at it for some prescribed length of time.

I don't like being stared at right now and I sure don't like the idea of making people stare at me when I'm rotting. It's closed coffin city for me. ;)

BadCat
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I want them to play Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" over and over and over at my funeral.

NOT because they "wish" I was with them, but because I "wish" they were with me.

bijou
01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
It's all perfectly innocent until skeletons explode up into the swimming pool. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm looking forward to going to the Catacombs on this visit to Paris; I've never been before. My husband says he will wait for me at a cafe. He is NOT interested.

Try and persuade him, they are worth a visit for the novelty value if nothing else.

BTW this is Britain today:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pixies/2010/1/7/1262896702014/Satellite-image-of-Britai-001.jpg

Bubba Dawg
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Luckily, my ultimate resting place is loaded with the movers and shakers of early Denver history so there are no Indians involved. ;)

I once worked as a volunteer doing a salvage archaeology job on an Indian mound that was being displaced by construction. We were coming up with burials, bones, skulls and lots of artifacts.

They were sent to a museum to be photographed, analyzed, and then returned to a different place on the site to be reburied.

Bubba Dawg
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Sunny & warm today, no wind.

Last day of the work week, that makes me smile. :)

TOTD: I have a very large sum of life insurance for a single guy with no kids. I don't bring up the final nap due to the bad economy. I would hate for my family to come up with any early ideas. :eek:

Cremation is about the only way to go here in the Southwest. Sprinkle me around the brothels.

So, you'll get your ashes hauled just one more time....;)

lacarnut
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I have a plot next to my mom and dad. My parents had everything paid for but not I. It is looking more and more like I will become an expat.

I worked in a cemetery for a year as a grounds keeper. An interesting and peaceful job supervising a crew of men. We had several gypsy families buried there. Those people are a trip as they believe that their spirit will travel the face of the globe for 7 years. They put wine, fruit and other thing on the grave site. My men would go razoo the stuff after the gypsies left the cemetery.

Bubba Dawg
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I want to really go back to nature, and also I love the ocean, so I plan to have my body chopped into pieces and thrown off a boat into the water.

I even have a friend who volunteered to do it for me. He's a real chum.

linda22003
01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
BTW this is Britain today:

I saw that on the BBC website this morning! Lovely but brrrr!

hampshirebrit
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
As Bijou says, the UK is brrrrrrrr cold at the moment, colder than the South Pole in some places, apparently.

TOTD: Bury me face down, somewhere near sea-level so the whole globally unwarmed world can kiss my ass. :D

PoliCon
01-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I've heard of cults doing that.

doing what?

PoliCon
01-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Meaning I won't be laid out in the funeral home - I'll be laid out at the church. :p Call it what you want - but that's what they call it round here.

PoliCon
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I've got to say that the whole "viewing" thing creeps me out. I've seen dead people and they're.....dead. There's nothing there once the spirit has gone. Why would you want to stare at an empty vessel? I get treating the discarded body with respect but I don't get staring at it for some prescribed length of time.

I don't like being stared at right now and I sure don't like the idea of making people stare at me when I'm rotting. It's closed coffin city for me. ;)

and I'm sure everyone will be grateful to be spared :p

SarasotaRepub
01-08-2010, 11:03 PM
http://earthfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pyre.jpg

:D

It was cold here today. That is all.

Rockntractor
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm not going to die! (God willing)

Big Guy
01-08-2010, 11:27 PM
A good friend of mine recently lost his wife, she went to bed, he woke up the next morning got ready for work then found her. No illness, nothing, just died.

It was pretty hard for him to make the arrangements. I plan on taking care of everything before I go, I don't want my family to go through that. Funerals are for the living, not the dead.