PDA

View Full Version : Scholarly Saturday

PoliCon
01-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Variably cloudy with snow showers. Cold. High 21F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70%. About one inch of snow expected.

I may or may not have several meetings today depending on the state of the roads around here. One of the joys of living in Pittsburgh is that we freeze and then we thaw - and then we freeze and then we thaw - and then we freeze and then we thaw - and then we freeze and then we thaw - and then we freeze and then we thaw . . . you get the picture. Not only does this play havoc with the roads - with potholes you could easily loose a car in - it makes driving dangerous at times. You have to constantly assess if the road is icy or just wet. :(

TOTD: I've been building a library for over a decade - I now have over 3000 texts primarily falling into three genres: History, theology, and of course science fiction :). Recently a young patriot asked me to recommend to him texts around which to build his own library.

So I'm working on compiling a list of 12 or so books that would be a good core to the library of any conservative patriot. What suggestions do you have for inclusion on this list? The first few were easy. I'm having trouble narrowing down the rest. :( HELP PLEASE!

Democracy in America - Alexis De Tocqueville

The Federalist Papers - John Jay, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison

Common Sense - Thomas Paine

Liberty & Tyranny - Mark Levin

1776 - David McCullough

Capitalism and Freedom - Milton Friedman

Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States - Joseph Story

From Dawn to Decadence: 500 Years of Western Cultural Life: 1500 to the Present - Jacques Barzun

2nd Treatises of Government - John Locke

Gingersnap
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
It's clear and cold but it will warm up a lot today! Yay! Sadly, the snow quality sucks at the moment so no skiing this weekend. I actually have everything done this morning so I'm kind of at loose ends for a couple of hours.

TOTD: I didn't see "The Road to Serfdom" by Friedrich von Hayek on that list. It's primarily economic but the ramifications touch on everything. ;)

Apache
01-09-2010, 10:38 AM
12 now and it finally stopped snowing....about 6 inches on the ground...

RobJohnson
01-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I've been running around outside in shorts since the sun came up.

Laundry is done, matress is flipped (it about killed me, should of had help...king size) and the bed is made. I even spent some time with God. I had many to pray for & many more reasons to give praise and thanks. I prayed for the goats Rock!

Now I can focus on the rest of the chores.

TOTD: Sounds like some boring stuff to me.

lacarnut
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Too damn cold here; lows in the teens and highs around freezing. Supposed to be that cold thru Monday. I covered all of my plants yesterday. Looks like some of my tropical plants might go to plant heaven. Well, I will just have another landscape project.

FlaGator
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
Martin Luther's Bondage of the Will

On Edit: I misread the OP. I thought you were asking for the 12 most important books in general. I didn't realize that you where using a patriotic theme. Of that I have no opinion.

Bubba Dawg
01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Good topic.

I would add two.

Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater.

The Conservative Mind From Burke to Eliot by Russell Kirk.

PoliCon
01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I've been running around outside in shorts since the sun came up.

Laundry is done, matress is flipped (it about killed me, should of had help...king size) and the bed is made. I even spent some time with God. I had many to pray for & many more reasons to give praise and thanks. I prayed for the goats Rock!

Now I can focus on the rest of the chores.

TOTD: Sounds like some boring stuff to me.Boring? Have you read any of it? It's deeply fascinating.

PoliCon
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
It's clear and cold but it will warm up a lot today! Yay! Sadly, the snow quality sucks at the moment so no skiing this weekend. I actually have everything done this morning so I'm kind of at loose ends for a couple of hours.

TOTD: I didn't see "The Road to Serfdom" by Friedrich von Hayek on that list. It's primarily economic but the ramifications touch on everything. ;)

have not read that one. Good?

PoliCon
01-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Good topic.

I would add two.

Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater.

The Conservative Mind From Burke to Eliot by Russell Kirk.

I thought about the conservative mind - but I put Levin's book in instead since I found it more enthralling. I have not read much Goldwater. I'll check that one out.

Bubba Dawg
01-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I thought about the conservative mind - but I put Levin's book in instead since I found it more enthralling. I have not read much Goldwater. I'll check that one out.

I'm a big fan of Barry Goldwater.

I'm not familiar with Levin's book. I'll give it a look.

PoliCon
01-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm a big fan of Barry Goldwater.

I'm not familiar with Levin's book. I'll give it a look.

it was awesome. :)