PDA

View Full Version : Introverted Strategies.

Gingersnap
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
The conversation in Bad Cat's thread is fascinating but it got me thinking about we introverts manage life in the giant, shiny, Disneyesque world that 80% + of our fellow human beings have designed for us.

Let's face it: every institution, tradition, workplace, or "event" is designed for the comfort and enjoyment of our extroverted friends. We have had to design a lot of work-around in order to function successfully.

As an example, I actually entertain a lot. Because I'm the hostess, I'm always flitting around and I never get trapped in horrifying conversations. Since people never reciprocate anymore, I never have to go to their house and interact with their chaotic environment. Since they all have a great time and talk about it for weeks afterward, they think I'm "normal" and they don't try to fix me.

What are your tips for managing our extroverted friends and their collections of bright, shiny social events? :D

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Are we supposed to talk about feelings!:eek:

Bubba Dawg
01-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I know what you mean Ginger.

One thing that I use is a sense of humor. I've actually had my sense of humor mentioned (in a positive way) in my appraisals. Specifically, that my sense of humor helps with the overally morale in the office and that I have often used it to diffuse difficult situations.

I am also large, and that helps. :D

Gingersnap
01-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Are we supposed to talk about feelings!:eek:

Only if you can frame it in a witty or sarcastic way. :p

Big Guy
01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I mostly work alone, but I do teach a lot. I find teaching easy, I control the enviroment. And like Bubba, I use humor quite a bit, being large also helps.

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Only if you can frame it in a witty or sarcastic way. :p

they think I'm "normal" and they don't try to fix me.
It has never been one of my number one concerns whether people consider me normal or not!

Gingersnap
01-09-2010, 08:57 PM
It has never been one of my number one concerns whether people consider me normal or not!

I'm not concerned about it. I just don't care for a well-meaning friend to attempt to make me enjoy surprise parties or spa days with the girls.

Bubba Dawg
01-09-2010, 08:57 PM

I'm sure you find that helpful.

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm not concerned about it. I just don't care for a well-meaning friend to attempt to make me enjoy surprise parties or spa days with the girls.

I'm just not much on social gatherings anymore, people come out to shoot all the time and I guess thats the way I like to visit, while pursuing an activity.

Gingersnap
01-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm just not much on social gatherings anymore, people come out to shoot all the time and I guess thats the way I like to visit, while pursuing an activity.

Bingo! I can hang out with the BFF in an open-ended way but otherwise I prefer activity-centered social encounters. I like to see or do things and then discuss it at the time.

Bubba Dawg
01-09-2010, 09:12 PM
In the office where I work we have a stay-in-school college student who works for us in the summer. The students usually come from the local college, which is a Bible college.

One year, we had a graduate student in the college's Masters in Biblical Counseling program. I was friendly with the guy, and he asked if I would take a battery of psychological tests for him to interpret as a part of a project he was working on in graduate school. I told him I'd be happy to as long as I could read his final diagnosis.

I took the tests for him. There were several. One of them was a version of the MMPI.

I didn't tell him I had been a psych major and I decided to mess with him. I skewed my answers toward psychopathic deviate and paranoia, not so much as to cause him to question the validity of the test, but sufficient to give him something interesting to write about.

Freaked him out a little. I never did tell him.

PoliCon
01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I mostly work alone, but I do teach a lot. I find teaching easy, I control the enviroment. And like Bubba, I use humor quite a bit, being large also helps.

Teaching is much different from being in a crowd. I'm fine with large groups of people as long as there is order in the group. The moment it devolves into a crowd I have to fight the urge to flee. Needless to say School assemblies and lunch duty are HELL for me. :(

Rockntractor
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Teaching is much different from being in a crowd. I'm fine with large groups of people as long as there is order in the group. The moment it devolves into a crowd I have to fight the urge to flee. Needless to say School assemblies and lunch duty are HELL for me. :(
I can't say I blame you! your nose is at butt level.

Gingersnap
01-09-2010, 10:00 PM

This is true. I've taught and I've made presentations in front of commissions and legislators. I've even done stakeholder meetings for eco-nazi types. As long as there is some kind of structure, it's fine. The mindless meet-and-greet crap afterward is torture. :eek:

RobJohnson
01-10-2010, 02:22 PM
This is true. I've taught and I've made presentations in front of commissions and legislators. I've even done stakeholder meetings for eco-nazi types. As long as there is some kind of structure, it's fine. The mindless meet-and-greet crap afterward is torture. :eek:

I'm not a big fan of the meet and greet. When I was young & dumb, trying to make a name for myself, I did all that, then I ended up living in towns where the whole flipping universe seemed to know me or who I was...

At work I deal with around 100 to 125 people daily, after work I avoid most social situations. It's not always been like that for me, but that's how it is now.

PoliCon
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm not a big fan of the meet and greet. When I was young & dumb, trying to make a name for myself, I did all that, then I ended up living in towns where the whole flipping universe seemed to know me or who I was...

At work I deal with around 100 to 125 people daily, after work I avoid most social situations. It's not always been like that for me, but that's how it is now.

I see more than that in just my classes. :rolleyes:

lurkalot
01-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Being an ENFJ I don't understand you people! :D

Rockntractor
01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Being an ENFJ I don't understand you people! :D

I feel a certain kinship with you!

lacarnut
01-11-2010, 01:02 AM
I always hated working with extroverts. You could say I liked to work on my own which was most of the time. Group projects would piss me off. In a social setting, the opposite was true. Most of the women I dated were extroverts.

PoliCon
01-11-2010, 01:35 AM
I always hated working with extroverts. You could say I liked to work on my own which was most of the time. Group projects would piss me off. In a social setting, the opposite was true. Most of the women I dated were extroverts.

I agree on group projects. HATE THEM.

noonwitch
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
In the office where I work we have a stay-in-school college student who works for us in the summer. The students usually come from the local college, which is a Bible college.

One year, we had a graduate student in the college's Masters in Biblical Counseling program. I was friendly with the guy, and he asked if I would take a battery of psychological tests for him to interpret as a part of a project he was working on in graduate school. I told him I'd be happy to as long as I could read his final diagnosis.

I took the tests for him. There were several. One of them was a version of the MMPI.

I didn't tell him I had been a psych major and I decided to mess with him. I skewed my answers toward psychopathic deviate and paranoia, not so much as to cause him to question the validity of the test, but sufficient to give him something interesting to write about.

Freaked him out a little. I never did tell him.

You just verified my theory that the MMPI can be manipulated. My mother's boyfriend, who is a retired prison psychologist, believes they are infallible. He even gave my mom one when they first started dating (the first thing he did that set off alarms in my head). I told him if he gave me one, I could manipulate the answers. I told him I'd seen delinquents who were able to do that at age 16.

I think that the test can be useful, but not in and of itself. I'll never admit that to Butt-head, though.

PoliCon
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I can't say I blame you! your nose is at butt level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbvJ4V5YEY

Rockntractor
01-12-2010, 12:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbvJ4V5YEY

Cool!:D