PDA

View Full Version : Not for the kids Monday

Rebel Yell
01-11-2010, 08:52 AM
17 degrees right now, with a high of 46

TOTD: I watched Up this weekend. In case you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it for you, but it dealt with issues that really are way above the head of the average child. It was one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. My wife squawled like a baby 15 minutes into it. What other movies aimed at kids do you think deals with issues kids really shouldn't have to think about yet?

Gingersnap
01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
It's 18 F right now but it will climb into the low 50s later. It will be very sloppy.

TOTD: I dunno. I don't usually watch kid movies that often. "Up" didn't interest me at all when I saw the trailers.

Rebel Yell
01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
It's 18 F right now but it will climb into the low 50s later. It will be very sloppy.

TOTD: I dunno. I don't usually watch kid movies that often. "Up" didn't interest me at all when I saw the trailers.

It was actually one of the most well written movies Pixar has made.

Gingersnap
01-11-2010, 09:48 AM
It was actually one of the most well written movies Pixar has made.

It could be an intellectual tour de force on par with "Cry, the Beloved Country" but I still wouldn't buy a ticket. I'll take a flyer on books but if a movie doesn't engage me through the trailer or published plot summaries, I just won't be there.

linda22003
01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
"What other movies aimed at kids do you think deals with issues kids really shouldn't have to think about yet?"

I don't spend any time thinking about kids or what entertains them, what they think, or what they shouldn't think about yet. Can't help on this one.

noonwitch
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
It's cold and snowing here. It's the week of the Auto Show, and the weather always seems to be awful when that is going on.

TOTD: My mom saw Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I remember her saying how it was completely inappropriate for any child under 12. I thought she was overreacting, until I saw it on cable once. There's a fantasy sequence that the villain has about the female character, that borders on BDSM. Also, as my mom put it, "I feel bad for any handicapped child who sees this movie, because the message is that only normal people get happy endings and the girl of their dreams".

FlaGator
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Bambi and Old Yeller.

aerojarod
01-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Bambi and Old Yeller.

Those were the headliners at the gentlemens club this weekend, right?

Rebel Yell
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Bambi and Old Yeller.

Have you seen Up? Most of it would go over kids heads, but for adults, especially a married couple with no kids. It kinda hits home.

Shannon
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
It's cold and snowing here. It's the week of the Auto Show, and the weather always seems to be awful when that is going on.

TOTD: My mom saw Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I remember her saying how it was completely inappropriate for any child under 12. I thought she was overreacting, until I saw it on cable once. There's a fantasy sequence that the villain has about the female character, that borders on BDSM. Also, as my mom put it, "I feel bad for any handicapped child who sees this movie, because the message is that only normal people get happy endings and the girl of their dreams".

OMG, I forgot about The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I took a 6 year old girl to see that movie and almost walked out. I couldn't believe it. I should have known better...Demi was the voice of the female character.

lurkalot
01-11-2010, 07:58 PM
The little bug and I had a "girls weekend" which means my nails and toenails are painted an atrocious color up to the first knuckles, I have several really cool necklaces and we ate popcorn and rented kid's movies.
UP was very sad and dealt with some way too adult issues for a normal kid. Bear in mind though that my child has spent her seven years in a nursing home so for her it didn't lead to any questions. But the whole infertility issue, her dying and his sitting alone at the funeral parlor? I would definitely not allow a kid to see that one unless I was willing to answer some serious questions.
Bolt had Miley Cyrus as a character voice. How bad could it be? It was awful!! The whole movie within a movie concept with real/unreal yet all of it unreal because it was a movie was too much of a concept for a kid to keep up with as kids are much more black and white in thinking.
Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs...BORING
Monster's Inc. Old reliable, has a tear jerker moment there but all ends very happy.

I would never let the Bug see Ol Yeller or Bambi...I still am too traumatized myself :eek: Personally I think the Disney movies of my childhood were some sort of sick indoctrination. Notice how many mom's die and how many evil step moms there are? How attractiveness equals happiness?

Rockntractor
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
How attractiveness equals happiness?
It gets you laid more often!:D

lurkalot
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
It gets you laid more often!:D

Pshaw.... thats what alcohol is for...
duh...:rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Isn't there a movie where a big bad wolf eats little pigs?

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Winnah!!!:D

lurkalot
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Isn't there a movie where a big bad wolf eats little pigs?

The pigs get away, all gather in the one pig's house and then cook the wolf alive. Ends happy..all is well.
Now quite scaring Rockn..if he has nightmares now its your fault!

Rockntractor
01-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Okay but you can have sex with the lights on!

lurkalot
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Okay but you can have sex with the lights on!

highly overrated practice:cool:

Rockntractor
01-11-2010, 08:14 PM
highly overrated practice:cool:

And your glasses on!

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
The pigs get away, all gather in the one pig's house and then cook the wolf alive. Ends happy..all is well.
Now quite scaring Rockn..if he has nightmares now its your fault!

Rock has nightmares about English teachers......:p

lurkalot
01-11-2010, 08:19 PM
And your glasses on!

hmm would make it easier to see the t.v.....