PDA

View Full Version : "Duke it Out! Which Wayne Classic Deserves Top Billing?"

megimoo
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
John Wayne's Best Movies
"Duke it Out! Which Wayne Classic Deserves Top Billing?"

VOTE
The Searchers
This John Ford Western chronicles the efforts of a Confederate veteran (Wayne) to track down the daughter of his murdered brother. 206 316

2 Rio Bravo
The Duke and Dean Martin are the pair of old friends at the heart of this Howard Hawks hit, in which the pair tussles with a local lawbreaker. 198 314

3 The Quiet Man
Wayne shows his softer side with this drama about the tempestuous affair between an Irish-American expat and an Irish woman. 184 306

4 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
In this John Ford Western, Wayne stars as a rancher who pairs up with a law school grad (James Stewart) to take down the bad guy. 176 274

5 True Grit
Wayne's Oscar-winning turn as aging sheriff Rooster Cogburn finds him trekking into Indian territory to avenge a man's death. 172 286

6 The Shootist
The actor's last movie ever finds Wayne starring opposite Lauren Bacall and James Stewart as a gunslinger dying of cancer. 170 278

7 Stagecoach
For Wayne's breakout performance, he plays good-at-heart outlaw Ringo, who wins over a group of lawmen defending an east-bound train. 160 252

8 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
This vivid, meditative Western finds Wayne portraying an aging war hero struggling with his impending retirement. 156 250

9 Red River
This early Howard Hawks Western stars Wayne as a rancher who battles mutiny among his men as he drives his cattle up the Chisholm Trail. 155 253

10 Sands of Iwo Jima

http://movies.amctv.com/movie-guide/john-waynes-best-movies.php

linda22003
01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
The Searchers is not only the best John Wayne movie ever made, it's one of the greatest American films, period. It might be the best western ever made. Red River is a close second.

noonwitch
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm partial to Rooster Cogburn, but that's because I'm a Kate fan. They were good together, though. I also like the drunken cat.

I like movies that really capture the landscapes of the american west-like John Wayne's movies, or even Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

Lager
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd go with "The man who shot Liberty Valance" and then "The searchers" and then "The shootist"

megimoo
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm partial to Rooster Cogburn, but that's because I'm a Kate fan. They were good together, though. I also like the drunken cat.

I like movies that really capture the landscapes of the american west-like John Wayne's movies, or even Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCeGBrKe1rE

Rebel Yell
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
No love for Big Jake?

Lager
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I almost let slip, "The longest day" even though Wayne only had a small part, it's one of my favorite war movies. Also, in that same vein, "In Harm's Way">

Speedy
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
As an over all movie, I agree with Meg on The Searchers. It is a landmark film and quite possibly the best western ever. It was decades ahead of it's time in showing the darkside of the American West and nothing similar was done again until High Plains Drifter.

As a performance, The Duke as J. B. Books, an aging gunslinger dying of cancer was probably the best in The Shootist..

MountainMan
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry but The Quiet Man is the Dukes best all time movie, followed closely by the Shootist. End of Discussion!:mad::D

Rockntractor
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Sorry but The Quiet Man is the Dukes best all time movie, followed closely by the Shootist. End of Discussion!:mad::D

They are ALL good!

MountainMan
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
They are ALL good!

True but "The Quiet Man" and "McClintock" have a special place in my heart. It shows us that women need to learn their place and if they don't, they should get a good old fashioned spanking. :D

Rockntractor
01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
True but "The Quiet Man" and "McClintock" have a special place in my heart. It shows us that women need to learn their place and if they don't, they should get a good old fashioned spanking. :D

Good point! They can't be keeping up with the laundry very well or getting dishes done if they are sitting around watching movies they can't understand anyway!

MountainMan
01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Good point! They can't be keeping up with the laundry very well or getting dishes done if they are sitting around watching movies they can't understand anyway!

Now you get it.... :)

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Good thread.

I'm partial to True Grit and the Shootist.

But as someone said, they are all GOOD.

ironhorsedriver
01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Searchers, for sure. True Grit, I liked his famous, "Fill your hands...". I liked Mclintock, just good entertainment.