PDA

View Full Version : McGwire Confesses

SaintLouieWoman
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
McGwire admitted today that he had abused steroids for a decade, including his 70 home run season. I'm sure that most of us had those suspicions. He looked like the cartoon figure Popeye.

I'm not including the link, as it is an AP link, which we don't use.

He's taken a job as a batting coach for the STL Cards. I think he realized that he had to finally tell the truth. It's a shame it took him so long.

I had attended a sports dinner at Missouri Athletic Club back in the day when he had established the home run record. He was very rude to the people there. He never would confirm that he would attend. They had the place packed, with folks in the main ball room and an adjoining room. At the last minute, they said he wouldn't be there. I heard through the grapevine that it really upset Jack Buck, the hall of fame announcer and father of Joe Buck. Jack was very ill and treasured those banquets. His son Joe travelled to California and interviewed McGwire out there and they played the film. People had paid big bucks to attend that banquet.

All the famous (at least here) old time Cards were there, Red Schoendienst, Stan the Man Musial, Whitey Herzog, and others. George Brett from KC came to take McGwire's place. It didn't make up for it. I noticed that very few bought any of the McGwire gear that they were hawking in the lobby.

linda22003
01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/markmcguire-gotjuice.jpg

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
McGuire is a jerk.

At the time I followed the home run chase with interest. Now it is just a joke.

To me, Roger Maris still rules, and so Henry Aaron.

SaintLouieWoman
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
McGuire is a jerk.

At the time I followed the home run chase with interest. Now it is just a joke.

To me, Roger Maris still rules, and so Henry Aaron.

And Stan the Man Musial. I have no respect for the juicers. I believe it was the 69th home run that McGwire hit that I saw at the ball park. It was a thrill at the time; no longer.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
And Stan the Man Musial. I have no respect for the juicers. I believe it was the 69th home run that McGwire hit that I saw at the ball park. It was a thrill at the time; no longer.

It was a thrill to me too. :(

Oh well.

And yep, Stan the Man.

NJCardFan
01-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I think this effectively kills any chance of him getting into the Hall of Fame although there already is an admitted cheater already in the Hall in Gaylord Perry. McGwire's only saving grace would be that in that era, pretty much most plaers were juicing and it wasn't illegal. I dunno. The shame of it is that he didn't need to juice.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Perry only threw the spitter when he needed it.

NJCardFan
01-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Perry only threw the spitter when he needed it.

But he admitted greasing up the ball to do so. That, my friend, is cheating. No matter how you slice it. Cheating is cheating.

ralph wiggum
01-12-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm gonna say it, and most don't want to hear it, but....

Steroids were not banned by Major League Baseball in 1998. I'm not sure of the legality, although I think they were for the most part illegal.

McGwire would have hit a ton of HR's whether he was juiced or not. If you've ever seen him back as a relatively skinny guy with the A's in the late 80's, he was dominant as a hitter.

How do we treat this stupid era? Not induct anyone into the baseball Hall of Fame? Just on the suspicions of the era? I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but since MLB has started testing, more pitchers than hitters have been suspended than hitters.

Want to go back to the supposedly clean 1960's & 1970's? Amphetamines were in rampant use by a ton of ballplayers. Was that better than using steroids?

Put the deserving players in the HOF. Bonds, Palmeiro, Clemens, McGwire, etc....then let God sort them out from there.

linda22003
01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
His apology is full of weasel words. "I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

It was the TIMES that were at fault; he just happened to be there. :rolleyes:

coach
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Oh the one hand at least he admits it.
On the other hand, its a shame it took a pretty memorable event and cheapens it.

But its clear MLB wanted it done so that maybe it gets him in the HOF.

I wonder if he grows an "*" now ?

Teetop
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
P.O.S.

Just like the commisioner.:mad:

expat-pattaya
01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Ban him.

And remove Mays and McCovey and Perry and all those other cheats too. :mad:

Let only the pure into the Hall of Fame :rolleyes:

JB
01-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Duh. McGwire finally admits what the rest of knew for years. What an ass. I'm sure he was forced to come clean (as it were) before he was offered the coaching job.

I did like the tears in his interview. Crocodile, I'm sure, but they looked nice and salty.

At least he never got a DUI like everyone else in the Cardinal organization.

Bubba Dawg
01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
But he admitted greasing up the ball to do so. That, my friend, is cheating. No matter how you slice it. Cheating is cheating.

I was being facetious NJ. :D

If I remember correctly, that quote is from Gene Tennace when he was catching Gaylord Perry. He said he (Tennace) only called for the spitter when he needed it. Something like that.

There was a whole era of skuffed balls, foreign substances, stolen signs (including an elaborate scheme to steal and relay signs to the batter involving Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard Round the World) and corked bats that were rules infractions but which pale in significance to steroids and banned substances.

Infields have been wet down, dried up, grass cut or allowed to grow and mounds raised or lowered to achieve an advantage. There was an art to cheating back then.

Now it's all chemicals.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rhubarb about a spitter or scuffed pitch even today.

SaintLouieWoman
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I was being facetious NJ. :D

If I remember correctly, that quote is from Gene Tennace when he was catching Gaylord Perry. He said he (Tennace) only called for the spitter when he needed it. Something like that.

There was a whole era of skuffed balls, foreign substances, stolen signs (including an elaborate scheme to steal and relay signs to the batter involving Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard Round the World) and corked bats that were rules infractions but which pale in significance to steroids and banned substances.

Infields have been wet down, dried up, grass cut or allowed to grow and mounds raised or lowered to achieve an advantage. There was an art to cheating back then.

Now it's all chemicals.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rhubarb about a spitter or scuffed pitch even today.

Don't forget Sosa's suspect bat during the greyt race to beat Maris' record.

I agree with Linda #'s on the weasle words he used. It got me sick listening to it. It's really split opinions here in STL. Many will forgive him, but quite a few noticed the blaming the times and not accepting responsibility for his own choices.

He said he had the gift from God of good hand/eye coordination and he would have played the same juiced or not. Don't exactly buy that. He claims it was only for his health. :rolleyes: One of the sports writers on our lib rag disagreed with Mr McGwire.

I think the Cards organization told McGwire he had to get this cleared up before starting his job as a batting coach. I'm amazed that he just didn't stay in California and shut up about this.

expat-pattaya
01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Just curious what people in this thread think steroids and other PEDs actually do to the human body. And how much they aid in performance.

Oh, and keep the hall pure. Time to remove the following from the HOF for cheating:

Mike Schmidt
Gaylord Perry
Willie Stargell
Willie Mays
Dave Parker
Bill Madlock
George Brett
Steve Carlton
Reggie Jackson
Rod Carew
Jim Palmer
Joe Morgan
.etc...........

They all payed during the greenies era and probably took some.