PDA

View Full Version : Foodie Wednesday.

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
We're still trying to warm up. I blame the Stock Show. No matter what the scientific temperature is, it's actually always 20 degrees lower when the Stock Show is going on.

This is the time of year when every food pundit from Bobbie Flay to your Aunt Martha likes to predict the top fads and fashions in food for the coming year. Here's a fairly honest take on the phenomena:

1. Old shit updated

This one’s easy. Every year, the fancy boys and girls of the glossy food establishment take some boring old thing your grandmama used to make, add guancale or shallot tarragon butter or some shit, then serve it back to you on a warmed-over platter. A few years ago there was a mac and cheese revival. Then it was pigs in a blanket. Next year it will be beef stroganoff with pork belly apple brandy gravy mole. And you’ll pay $38 for some egg noodles and chuck roast.

2. Science

The rise of molecular gastronomy went from kooky to awesome to tired to really tired in about one calendar year, but that won’t stop high-falutin’ restaurateurs from Bangor to Bakersfield from serving overturned pony snifters of pear vapor and carbonized tranches of distilled mango ether. Thanks for the $78! Enjoy the Burger King drive-thru on the way home!

3. Locavorism

In my liberal suburban enclave, we all agree that eating locally as much as possible equals responsible stewardship of the land and its inhabitants. In fact, I consider people who think otherwise to be subhumans who should be ground up, dried, and woven into reusable grocery bags. That’s why every restaurant I patronize during 2010 will make a grandiose effort to convince me that the bananas in my split were cultivated just a mile from where we sit. “Hell, these tablecloths were made by my grandmother, who rents an apartment out back!” the menu will say.

Paxarcana (http://paxarcana.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/our-top-food-trends-of-2010/)

TOTD: What food trends do you see in the coming year? This can be for home, ordinary restaurant fare, or fine dining. :D

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
It is almost lamb chop time. I can't believe Linda Numbas is letting you get away with"foodie"!

aerojarod
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
There seems to be a real surgence of folks taking up home brewing and home distilling. Everyone I talk to lately seems to be making their own beer or wine. I'm waiting for one of my friends to tell me they're making bathtub gin, fer chrissakes!

Personally, I've converted our spare bathroom into my own brewery and I've got a pale ale ready to bottle this weekend. Should be drinkable by March.

:D

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
There seems to be a real surgence of folks taking up home brewing and home distilling. Everyone I talk to lately seems to be making their own beer or wine. I'm waiting for one of my friends to tell me they're making bathtub gin, fer chrissakes!

Personally, I've converted our spare bathroom into my own brewery and I've got a pale ale ready to bottle this weekend. Should be drinkable by March.

:D

Aero's Bathroom Blend!:eek:

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I wonder if we'll see some gimmicks fade away. I bought one of those "steamer" frozen veggie things to try. It was awful and expensive.

noonwitch
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
It's sunny today, so it feels a little warmer. It's supposed to be warm tomorrow and Friday (38 instead of 15).

I have no idea what the next food trend is going to be, but I'm always willing to try anything that doesn't look disgusting.

bijou
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Here's the Epicurious link (http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2009/11/epicurious-predicts-top-ten-food-trends-for-2010.html?mbid=e11210)

my it's pretentious.

linda22003
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
It is almost lamb chop time. I can't believe Linda Numbas is letting you get away with"foodie"!

It's a real term. The only trend I see for the coming year is that I will be continuing to tuck into my three square meals a day. :p

Apache
01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
$ menu food items will go microscopic $5 menu items will shrink but you get your choice of multiples...

The only decent one of those I'VE seen is that mexican joint attached to Carl's jr/Hardees. Their two red burritos for $5 are ginormtanic :eek:

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
It's a real term. The only trend I see for the coming year is that I will be continuing to tuck into my three square meals a day. :p
Well that settles that! It's lunch time, I'm
going to take my booty to some foodie!

aerojarod
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Aero's Bathroom Blend!:eek:

It'll get you pissed! Then you can piss!

Shannon
01-13-2010, 07:36 PM
It's still freezing here but I think it is supposed to warm up in the next couple of days.

TOTD: I try not to think about food.

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
It's still freezing here but I think it is supposed to warm up in the next couple of days.

TOTD: I try not to think about food.

Even delicious chicken McNuggets?

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
It'll get you pissed! Then you can piss!

I came home one night from work years ago to find my bother passed out on the floor of my apartment in a pool of wine with the siphon hose still in his mouth. he passed out while sampling a 5 gallon bottle of apple wine I had made. I used to make lots of wine, brandy and whiskey.

Bubba Dawg
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I love Chicken McFuggets.

Shannon
01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Even delicious chicken McNuggets?

I really try not to think about fattening foods that taste yummy.

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I came home one night from work years ago to find my bother passed out on the floor of my apartment in a pool of wine with the siphon hose still in his mouth. he passed out while sampling a 5 gallon bottle of apple wine I had made. I used to make lots of wine, brandy and whiskey.

One of my aims this year is to finally get what I need to make applejack. With all these trees, it's more economical for me to pulp them than to dump them. My horses, friends, and neighbors can only take care of so many apples. :(

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 08:35 PM
One of my aims this year is to finally get what I need to make applejack. With all these trees, it's more economical for me to pulp them than to dump them. My horses, friends, and neighbors can only take care of so many apples. :(

Of all the wines and Liquors I made apple was always the best! You need to raise the acid content and add nutrient vitamins and minerals to feed the yeast. The trick is to match the nutritional make up of the grape when you make any fruit wine. I was good at it and this is probably the only thing I really miss about drinking!

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Of all the wines and Liquors I made apple was always the best! You need to raise the acid content and add nutrient vitamins and minerals to feed the yeast. The trick is to match the nutritional make up of the grape when you make any fruit wine. I was good at it and this is probably the only thing I really miss about drinking!

I think that first I need to get a press. I'm sure not going to put 50-bazillion apples through my food processor and 3 layers of cheesecloth.

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
I think that first I need to get a press. I'm sure not going to put 50-bazillion apples through my food processor and 3 layers of cheesecloth.
A champion juicer works faster and is very efficient with little waste but if you would like a press their are several people that make them and sell them on ebay. If you go the press route nylon and stainless steel are preferable.

aerojarod
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM

I was in upstate New York several years ago at a house party where the local yokels had made some VERY potent hard cider from drop apples & pears from the local orchards. As I recall it was tasty and packed a bigger punch than you'd expect from a store-bought cider.

My buddy is making some mead at the moment. Can wait to sample some when its ready.

Rockntractor
01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I was in upstate New York several years ago at a house party where the local yokels had made some VERY potent hard cider from drop apples & pears from the local orchards. As I recall it was tasty and packed a bigger punch than you'd expect from a store-bought cider.

My buddy is making some mead at the moment. Can wait to sample some when its ready.

Mead would be some high dollar stuff to make now. we are paying 40.00 per gallon for honey!