PDA

View Full Version : Home trends that should go away

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Home trends that should go away
Posted by Kim Palmer

Last update: January 13, 2010 - 9:04 AM

38 Comments

Now that the first decade of the century is in the rear-view mirror, it's time to wave buh-bye to some ubiquitous design trends that have worn out their welcome. Here are my picks:

Two-story family rooms. It's a McMansion thing. Remember when towering great rooms first arrived on the scene and we thought they were grand and impressive? Now they just seem stiff and pretentious. Not to mention dysfunctional. When what should be the coziest, most convivial space in the house has an echo, you're got a design problem. Soaring ceilings are perfectly fine if you're planning an audience with royalty. But for hanging with family and friends? Not so much. (My house, built in 1990, has a vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom, which is even worse!)

Cookie-cutter kitchens. Stainless steel and granite have been inseparable during our long love affair with the trophy kitchen. But the honeymoon is over. Stainless steel appliances are too cold and commercial for most home kitchens. And granite? Well, I finally got some a couple years ago. Visually, it was a big improvement over my old laminate. But it hasn't been as indestructible as I thought it would be. I have to seal it every year and worry about oil stains. The edge is already chipped in several places. Plus I spent way too much on it. There are a lot of other materials out there, and it's time to play the field.

Mismatched upholstery. This fad always irritated me, even when it was new and "fresh." I'm not talking about mixing and matching complementary pieces of furniture. I'm talking about those sofas and chairs that aspire to be quaintly "cottage" by combining two or more fabrics -- like a cabbage-rose print on the seat cushions and another pattern on the back or arms. Such contrived bohemia is worse than too much matchy-matchy.

White stair risers. Want to showcase every scuff mark and spend your weekends scrubbing? Here's how to do it.

Tuscan overload. Murals, Venetian plaster and wrought iron can be rustic and charming. But when you pile them all together, everywhere, and slap the T-word on them -- year after year after year -- it's lke gorging on too much fettucine. Who wants to live in an Italian theme park?

That's my list. What are YOU ready to be done with?

Hotel/Spa Style. Your home should look like your home. It shouldn't look like every Hilton Hotel I've ever been in.

Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/81319552.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUHD YaGEP7eyckcUr)

SaintLouieWoman
01-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I've never been one to follow trends. In fact if it's trendy, I don't do it. I'm so bored on HGTV with all those young first time home buyers saying like little robots that they MUST have stainless steel and granite. It's like all the homes must look alike.

Sadly, we just have white laminate (old) countertops. I hate white laminate, but am almost inclined to keep it so the kitchen won't be too cookie cutter. :D The entire kitchen is white, with, gasp, a smooth black cooktop. The almost new double oven that had been installed by the previous homeowner is white, as is the refrigerator purchased by me when I originally moved into the house. The sink is black (old, original in the kitchen) and our new dishwasher is stainless steel. Guess those picky first time homebuyers wouldn't look at our house. :p

PoliCon
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I've never been one to follow trends. In fact if it's trendy, I don't do it. I'm so bored on HGTV with all those young first time home buyers saying like little robots that they MUST have stainless steel and granite. It's like all the homes must look alike.

Sadly, we just have white laminate (old) countertops. I hate white laminate, but am almost inclined to keep it so the kitchen won't be too cookie cutter. :D The entire kitchen is white, with, gasp, a smooth black cooktop. The almost new double oven that had been installed by the previous homeowner is white, as is the refrigerator purchased by me when I originally moved into the house. The sink is black (old, original in the kitchen) and our new dishwasher is stainless steel. Guess those picky first time homebuyers wouldn't look at our house. :p

I prefer soapstone for counter-tops myself . . .
http://www.soapstones.com/

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM

LOL! I have surgically white cabinets and I love them. My stove is a double oven from the 1970s in a hideous black and white but it does the job. I won't replace it until I care to pony up for a gas line. My counters are a mix of white-flecked Corian and tile. The other appliances are ultra white.

I will change out the counters to another fake material in about 3 years. I don't want granite as it's ruined my BFF's stemware and china. I'd prefer something less destructive and a little more colorful. My sinks are matching but I will also change that for a lefty style.

I don't care for stainless steel. Every kitchen I ever worked in had it and it spells INDUSTRIAL to me.

I also would like to see the end of vessel sinks, giant chairs, and third world craptacular home accents.

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I prefer soapstone for counter-tops myself . . .
http://www.soapstones.com/

Are your counter tops a "special" height or do you use a stool?

PoliCon
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Are your counter tops a "special" height or do you use a stool?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxcr9hTEAw

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxcr9hTEAw

You already showed that one. New material please!

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Come on, guys. Try to work with me here. Tin ceilings, "colonial" faucet sets, cathedral vaults, bamboo floors - what's your gripe?

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Double doors so I could drive the dingo in would be nice!

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Double doors so I could drive the dingo in would be nice!

You ride wild dogs? We may have your pic in the dog Photoshop thread.

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
LOL! I have surgically white cabinets and I love them. My stove is a double oven from the 1970s in a hideous black and white but it does the job. I won't replace it until I care to pony up for a gas line. My counters are a mix of white-flecked Corian and tile. The other appliances are ultra white.

I will change out the counters to another fake material in about 3 years. I don't want granite as it's ruined my BFF's stemware and china. I'd prefer something less destructive and a little more colorful. My sinks are matching but I will also change that for a lefty style.

I don't care for stainless steel. Every kitchen I ever worked in had it and it spells INDUSTRIAL to me.

I also would like to see the end of vessel sinks, giant chairs, and third world craptacular home accents.

Here's ours with the Christmas crap...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/P1000624.jpg

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
You ride wild dogs? We may have your pic in the dog Photoshop thread.
Silly girl!:D
http://www.western-equip.com/nss-folder/pictures/Dingo_TRX525.jpg

PoliCon
01-13-2010, 09:32 PM
You already showed that one. New material please!

every time you make a retarded post - I'm dragging out the retarded goat. :p

PoliCon
01-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Come on, guys. Try to work with me here. Tin ceilings, "colonial" faucet sets, cathedral vaults, bamboo floors - what's your gripe?

FAKE. I loathe fake.

Rockntractor
01-13-2010, 09:33 PM
every time you make a retarded post - I'm dragging out the retarded goat. :p

If you don't want me to pester you I won't.

Gingersnap
01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
FAKE. I loathe fake.

Fake what? I have a Pergo floor in my kitchen and I love it. My real wood floors are under continual (and expensive) dog attack. My fake Pergo looks as good today as the day it went down. :confused:

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Fake what? I have a Pergo floor in my kitchen and I love it. My real wood floors are under continual (and expensive) dog attack. My fake Pergo looks as good today as the day it went down. :confused:

Any kind of pressed board - fake wood - etc. yuck yuck yuck. spend a few extra bucks and get the real thing which will last 10X longer.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
If you don't want me to pester you I won't.

Pester me? You over estimate your power :p

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Pester me? You over estimate your power :p

I get a kick out of your videos but honestly if I'm hurting your feelings I'll leave you alone!

Articulate_Ape
01-14-2010, 02:12 AM
I dunno if it's a fad or not, but if you take away my bidet, my ass will hunt you down.

Space Gravy
01-14-2010, 05:58 AM
I'd like to see the enormous bathrooms in newer homes scaled down.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I also have cream/white kitchen cabinets, much like SR and SLW's (but they go to the ceiling - who dusts the stuff on top at your house???), and malachite Corian counters. The appliances are a bone/bisque color.
http://www.thecountertopfactory.com/raleigh/product_images/corian/malachite_sm.jpg

linda22003
01-14-2010, 08:46 AM
We looked at all sorts of newer houses, and the two-story family rooms completely turned me off. It was like sitting in the bottom of a box. Plus, there were wall to wall windows; with over 3000 books, I need some unbroken wall space for shelving, people!

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd like to see the enormous bathrooms in newer homes scaled down.

LOL! I remember when we had to remodel our last house before we sold it. The designer guy almost cried when he saw the size of our bathrooms. We doubled the size of one of them and had this majorly gay giant shower installed with a bench and everything. People loved it, go figure.

All I saw was about an hour of weekly work cleaning the glass and the tile. :p

RobJohnson
01-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Your kitchen sounds greyt.

Too much stainless can be a real pain to keep clean. I spent enough time in the resturant business to know that I would not want it at home. I have a small kitchen with dark wood & a little frosted glass. A nice thick Corian countertop that is easy to take care of. It's all I need and looks pretty nice.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
LOL! I remember when we had to remodel our last house before we sold it. The designer guy almost cried when he saw the size of our bathrooms. We doubled the size of one of them and had this majorly gay giant shower installed with a bench and everything. People loved it, go figure.

All I saw was about an hour of weekly work cleaning the glass and the tile. :p

That's what maids are for! :rolleyes: Silly Ginger.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Your kitchen sounds greyt.

Too much stainless can be a real pain to keep clean. I spent enough time in the resturant business to know that I would not want it at home. I have a small kitchen with dark wood & a little frosted glass. A nice thick Corian countertop that is easy to take care of. It's all I need and looks pretty nice.

It can be a PITA to polish - if you don't buy the right kind of polish . . . .

NJCardFan
01-14-2010, 11:27 AM
This made me laugh:

And granite? Well, I finally got some a couple years ago. Visually, it was a big improvement over my old laminate. But it hasn't been as indestructible as I thought it would be. I have to seal it every year and worry about oil stains. The edge is already chipped in several places. Plus I spent way too much on it. There are a lot of other materials out there, and it's time to play the field.
I guess this person doesn't believe in wiping up messes. And nothing is indestructible. As for sealing it every year, don't know what kind they got but my in-laws got granite put in a few years ago and they didn't have to seal it once and it still looks as beautiful as the day it was installed.

As for trends that should go away, any vaulted ceilings. They may open a room up but cobwebs are very unforgiving and extremely hard to reach. Some trends that I wish would come back in newer homes is crown molding. I've always been a fan of crown molding. Oh, another newer trend is faux hardwood floors. You know, the tiles. It's very ugly. I also hate these kinds of sinks:
http://www.signaturehardware.com/images/plumbing/3/8990.jpg

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't most people hate vessel sinks? It's the kind of thing you'd install if you had Housekeeping coming in twice a day.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
That's what maids are for! :rolleyes: Silly Ginger.

You read my mind! :eek:

linda22003
01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
I also hate these kinds of sinks:
http://www.signaturehardware.com/images/plumbing/3/8990.jpg

I don't like those either, but the ones I REALLY hate are the ones that look like bowls sitting on a vanity top:
http://www.decor-collection.com/DCImages/Products/76039.jpg :cool:

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm a pretty strong proponent of the form-follows-function school of thought. Sinks that look like decorative bowls, refrigerators that look like cabinets, and kitchen faucets that look like barnyard pumps are all on my personal Do Not Go There list.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm a pretty strong proponent of the form-follows-function school of thought. Sinks that look like decorative bowls, refrigerators that look like cabinets, and kitchen faucets that look like barnyard pumps are all on my personal Do Not Go There list.

Bathrooms need to be as easy as possible to clean - and kitchens need to be cooking functional. As long as they meet those criteria - I'm willing to allow for all kinds of different looks as long as those two are met.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't like those either, but the ones I REALLY hate are the ones that look like bowls sitting on a vanity top:
http://www.decor-collection.com/DCImages/Products/76039.jpg :cool:

the only way that either of those work is if you have an abundance of alternative storage.

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Note to Kim Palmer, the author of this piece....of shit.

Fuck you you left wing, environmentalist hag. As someone who still has his mortgage license, the last thing this industry needs is some pretentious bitch, sitting behind her laminated wood desk she purchased at Ikea, telling people what features we should or shouldn't have.

People want two story homes. Why? Because we are Americans and we are free to fucking like what we want.

People want granite counter tops. Why? Because we are Americans and we are free to fucking like what we want.

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Pergo floors? In the industry it is called "photoshop flooring"....... I understand the need for it, I just think it looks cheap.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Pergo floors? In the industry it is called "photoshop flooring"....... I understand the need for it, I just think it looks cheap.

BINGO! besides there are more attractive ways to accomplish the same durability.

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Don't worry, Mau. You can still come over to my house. Just ixnay the eapchay observations around the other guests. :p

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't worry, Mau. You can still come over to my house. Just ixnay the eapchay observations around the other guests. :p

Sweet! I will bring the squirrel casserole. :p

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM

To be honest Ginger, the biggest problem with Pergo is that unless you have someone who is really, REALLY good at installing it, Pergo flooring can actually turn off the average middle class homebuyers.

On the flip side of that is you do have too many of those same middle class homebuyers who demand top quality bamboo, oak or maple flooring for the price of Pergo. Something has to give...

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
To be honest Ginger, the biggest problem with Pergo is that unless you have someone who is really, REALLY good at installing it, Pergo flooring can actually turn off the average middle class homebuyers.

On the flip side of that is you do have too many of those same middle class homebuyers who demand top quality bamboo, oak or maple flooring for the price of Pergo. Something has to give...

Mine looks as good as the day it was installed years ago. I've never run into any of the problems people seem to have with it. My kitchen is a super high traffic area so I really appreciate the easy cleaning and durability. My wood floors are very nice but they need a lot of babying. ;)

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Mine looks as good as the day it was installed years ago. I've never run into any of the problems people seem to have with it. My kitchen is a super high traffic area so I really appreciate the easy cleaning and durability. My wood floors are very nice but they need a lot of babying. ;)

wood floors in a kitchen? EW. Why not just install wall to wall carpeting?? Kitchens need tile.

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Which is why me and the misses are not installing wood floors till the pets are gone though my wife desperately wants a bamboo floor. :(

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
wood floors in a kitchen? EW. Why not just install wall to wall carpeting?? Kitchens need tile.

Wood floors in the kitchen are becoming more and more popular......this also coincides with the fact more and more people are also eating out. :p

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Wood floors in the kitchen are becoming more and more popular......this also coincides with the fact more and more people are also eating out. :p idiots

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 12:56 PM

One of my old kitchens was tiled and I didn't care for it. It was uncomfortable to stand on for long periods of time and it was more trouble to clean. I absolutely hated the tick-tick-tick sound the dogs made on it.

I have several tiled rooms right now and I think they're great but not for a home kitchen.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
One of my old kitchens was tiled and I didn't care for it. It was uncomfortable to stand on for long periods of time and it was more trouble to clean. I absolutely hated the tick-tick-tick sound the dogs made on it.

I have several tiled rooms right now and I think they're great but not for a home kitchen.

that's easily taken care of. get rid of the dogs. :p

coach
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I think granite is nice looking but a bad idea (dont forget to have yours checked for radon)

I persoanally would love a comercial stove but way out of my budget

tall rooms are fine untill you have to heat/cool them and a nightmare to paint

but I'm easy to please and nauturally cheap

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I love white. My kitchen cabinets are white. My flattop stove and frig. is white. I have white rattan furniture with multi stripe (red, blue, yellow) cushions in the L.R. and white rattan furniture in the B.R. I had carpet installed in the kitchen and bathroom. No cold floors for me. My house is a beach house in the city with nautical wall paintings and decorations.

hampshirebrit
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm with NJ on the woman's problems with granite. You'd have to be amazingly clumsy to need it resealing after just a year. Trivets, woman, trivets, have you not heard of them? Don't put hot pans down on granite surfaces, no problems, put them on a trivet, instead. Wipe up any wine / oil / acidic fluids, no problems, simples !! :D

The black granite is a bit cliched, why I'm glad I went with what I have now, a lighter colour.

Here's a pic I took after I cleaned up after hosting three guests for brunch last weekend:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC02036.jpg

It is so easy to keep clean, and actually doing so is one of the more enjoyable household chores.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Your cat has his lasers on, Hamp. :)

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm with NJ on the woman's problems with granite. You'd have to be amazingly clumsy to need it resealing after just a year. Trivets, woman, trivets, have you not heard of them? Don't put hot pans down on granite surfaces, no problems, put them on a trivet, instead. Wipe up any wine / oil / acidic fluids, no problems, simples !! :D

The black granite is a bit cliched, why I'm glad I went with what I have now, a lighter colour.

Here's a pic I took after I cleaned up after hosting three guests for brunch last weekend:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC02036.jpg

It is so easy to keep clean, and actually doing so is one of the more enjoyable household chores.

Looking good and Midnight is checking it out.:)

hampshirebrit
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Your cat has his lasers on, Hamp. :)

He' a she, but yes, lasers on, because I very foolishly took to feeding her treats from the cupboard directly above her (where the standard kibble is also kept). Now she sees me or hears me in the kitchen, she expects more of the same.

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
You guys shouldn't take your counter tops for granite. There are those of us that are less fortunate that can only afford Formica. When I die I will probably have a Formica tombstone!

linda22003
01-14-2010, 03:05 PM
You guys shouldn't take your counter tops for granite. There are those of us that are less fortunate that can only afford Formica. When I die I will probably have a Formica tombstone!

In the classic "Boomerang" pattern, I'll bet.
http://www.newretrodining.com/images/Charcoal_Boomerang.jpg

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 03:10 PM
In the classic "Boomerang" pattern, I'll bet.
http://www.newretrodining.com/images/Charcoal_Boomerang.jpg

Oh no! Now I'm hypnotized, trying to break away.................

bijou
01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
I love my stainless steel worktops and units. They are easy to clean and I find them great for preparing food. While I am addicted to home styling magazines I hate wasting money on fads so end up with failry classic or neutral styles of furnishings.

PoliCon
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I had carpet installed in the kitchen and bathroom. :eek: that is sooooo gross.

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Roman shades, towels rolled up spa-style, shabby chic, and bloated washer/dryer sets. More trends I could see take a rest.

SaintLouieWoman
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM

I definitely like the hardwood in the living and dining rooms. Like you, with the heavy traffic of 3 large greyhounds, we decided to put Pergo in our kitchen, family room and hall. I really don't like it all that much. It definitely doesn't look as good as the wood, but I guess it's more practical. Our problem was we had a really lousy installer from Lowes.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
:eek: that is sooooo gross.

Only to a Yankee. BTW, I covered the real oak block floors up with carpet in the rest of the house. That just slays most people.

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Only to a Yankee. BTW, I covered the real oak block floors up with carpet in the rest of the house. That just slays most people.

You bought it, You're enjoying it!

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I definitely like the hardwood in the living and dining rooms. Like you, with the heavy traffic of 3 large greyhounds, we decided to put Pergo in our kitchen, family room and hall. I really don't like it all that much. It definitely doesn't look as good as the wood, but I guess it's more practical. Our problem was we had a really lousy installer from Lowes.

I'm guessing I got the best installation/Pergo "type" ever. Most people think my kitchen floor is hardwood. Visually, I really like it.

One thing about the visuals - with three active dogs and a very active kitchen, my floor takes a real beating. I personally think that a clean, attractive floor is better looking than a scratched-up, dingy on the edges kind of floor even if the material is more "real" or whatever. That's just me.

I grew up with maple hardwood floors and linoleum. I spent many unhappy hours helping my Mom or grandmother to strip and wax those floors. They were gorgeous. For two weeks. Then the scratches showed up (we weren't a shoes-off family and we had dogs). ;)

NJCardFan
01-15-2010, 12:49 AM
I just thought of another housing trend that sucks out loud: Recessed Lighting.

RobJohnson
01-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I grew up with maple hardwood floors and linoleum. I spent many unhappy hours helping my Mom or grandmother to strip and wax those floors. They were gorgeous. For two weeks. Then the scratches showed up (we weren't a shoes-off family and we had dogs). ;)

In Illinois I had alot of hardwood floors, and two Search and Rescue dogs as roomates...the floors took a beating...plus the dogs would get to running and would slide right into things.

I have pergo now, it looks real...the rest of the place is carpet. I like things easy to take care of.

RobJohnson
01-15-2010, 02:17 AM

My refrigerator matches my cabinets. :D

PoliCon
01-15-2010, 02:22 AM
I just thought of another housing trend that sucks out loud: Recessed Lighting.

what you like dangling bulbs? I prefer indirect lighting myself . . . :)

hampshirebrit
01-15-2010, 03:45 AM

OMG, NO!!!!! :eek: :eek: How could you do that?

PoliCon
01-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Only to a Yankee. BTW, I covered the real oak block floors up with carpet in the rest of the house. That just slays most people.HEATHEN!

PoliCon
01-15-2010, 03:49 AM

his name says it all. lacarNUT.

lacarnut
01-15-2010, 08:05 AM

When I sell the house, I will rip the carpet up and have the wood floors re-finished. They just require too much maintenance. Since I walk around barefoot, carpet suits me better, and slippers are too fruity for me.:)

NJCardFan
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
what you like dangling bulbs? I prefer indirect lighting myself . . . :)
We have decorative lighting in our house and it looks fine. A lot better than recessed lighting.

aerojarod
01-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I bought a townhouse/condo last fall that had a brand new kitchen with granite, stainless steel appliances, maple cabinets with "window pane" glass on a few of them... but they didn't finish the floors. I only plan on being there for about 5 years, so my plan is to rip up the linoleum and carpet from the 1st floor and put in laminate flooring (pergo), throughout. It's gotten much better since it first came out... better design, textured, etc. I don't think I can justify real hardwood, as I don't think I'd get the return on my investment.

Oh, and I want to finish off the "bar area" backsplash of the kitchen with a faux weathered copper tin-panel, and a tile mosaic backplash in the sink/food prep area of the kitchen.

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh, and I want to finish off the "bar area" backsplash of the kitchen with a faux weathered copper tin-panel, and a tile mosaic backplash in the sink/food prep area of the kitchen.

Look at "oiled bronze" for the metal panel. I have it on reliable authority that oiled bronze in the new brushed aluminum. ;)

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
I bought a townhouse/condo last fall that had a brand new kitchen with granite, stainless steel appliances, maple cabinets with "window pane" glass on a few of them... but they didn't finish the floors. I only plan on being there for about 5 years, so my plan is to rip up the linoleum and carpet from the 1st floor and put in laminate flooring (pergo), throughout. It's gotten much better since it first came out... better design, textured, etc. I don't think I can justify real hardwood, as I don't think I'd get the return on my investment.

In a townhome or condo, you are correct. It is extremely hard to justify hardwood flooring however, if you do go with photoshop flooring, make sure you have someone extremely well referenced do the installation. If you have never done it before yourself, don't.

PoliCon
01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
slippers are too fruity for me.:)

then wear socks or flipflops then! :p

PoliCon
01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
We have decorative lighting in our house and it looks fine. A lot better than recessed lighting.

IMO it depends on the purpose of the particular lighting element. Even then, my preference is always for indirect lighting. I hate the harshness of direct lighting.

linda22003
01-15-2010, 02:38 PM
IMO it depends on the purpose of the particular lighting element. Even then, my preference is always for indirect lighting. I hate the harshness of direct lighting.

I hate the new lightbulbs - talk about harsh lighting! I'm stockpiling incandescent bulbs.

PoliCon
01-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I hate the new lightbulbs - talk about harsh lighting! I'm stockpiling incandescent bulbs.

you mean the CFBs? You're not the only one who hates em. All the more reason to have indirect lighting. ;) LED lights however are not harsh but they take some getting used to with their blue tint rather than the yellow tint of an incandescent bulbs. . . . .

linda22003
01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
The big swirly things that don't fit in my current lamps with my current harps and shades. Those lights. :mad:

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM

LOL! We have enough put by to last until the far superior LED technology catches up in color and price. I hate bridge technologies.

hampshirebrit
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
When I sell the house, I will rip the carpet up and have the wood floors re-finished. They just require too much maintenance. Since I walk around barefoot, carpet suits me better, and slippers are too fruity for me.:)

Hey, I do the bare foot thing, but honestly, wood floors are not cold, even in winter. I convinced a friend who recently moved into an old turn of the century (20th) house in this city not to carpet over the beautiful original oak plank floor. He was adamant that he would, but after a week living there he decided to have them prepped instead. They are just too nice looking to cover up.

I am finding the ceramic tiles in the kitchen a tad cold though. I'm going to have to invest in some heavy duty hiking socks for this part of the house in wintertime.

hampshirebrit
01-15-2010, 03:17 PM

I use 35w and 25w halogens in the new kitchen. It's a nice quality light. I have 20 of them split over four different switches, so it's very flexible for different lighting requirements.

The new bulbs are crap. They flatten out any color subtleties one might be trying to strive for completely. Plus they are annoyingly slow to run up to full output. Plus they contain mercury ... so much for the environment. I won't have them in my house at all.

At the moment, we are still "allowed" to purchase incandescents up to 60w, and there are a bunch of websites who can sell you 100+w if you want.

bijou
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I use 35w and 25w halogens in the new kitchen. It's a nice quality light. I have 20 of them split over four different switches, so it's very flexible for different lighting requirements.

The new bulbs are crap. They flatten out any color subtleties one might be trying to strive for completely. Plus they are annoyingly slow to run up to full output. Plus they contain mercury ... so much for the environment. I won't have them in my house at all.

At the moment, we are still "allowed" to purchase incandescents up to 60w, and there are a bunch of websites who can sell you 100+w if you want.

You can still by 100W bulbs as long as they are 'old stock', I have plenty. :D

RobJohnson
01-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Incandescents put off way too much heat for me, I've been using the new bulbs for over 15 years and have enjoyed the energy savings.

SaintLouieWoman
01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm guessing I got the best installation/Pergo "type" ever. Most people think my kitchen floor is hardwood. Visually, I really like it.

One thing about the visuals - with three active dogs and a very active kitchen, my floor takes a real beating. I personally think that a clean, attractive floor is better looking than a scratched-up, dingy on the edges kind of floor even if the material is more "real" or whatever. That's just me.

The house had linoleum in the kitchen, so the Pergo looks so much better. We just had problems with a really bad installer. We got the best Pergo material, that American Cottage, supposedly with a 35 year guarantee. The material itself is holding up well. It's just rough right now with the snow melting and the warmer temps. It's a muddy mess outside. All 3 dogs want to race in at the same time and it's tough grabbing them to wipe their muddy paws. Now I only let 1 or 2 in at a time and make the others wait outside on the patio.

RobJohnson
01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Now I only let 1 or 2 in at a time and make the others wait outside on the patio.

You make the dogs wait? :eek::D

My mom is dog sitting a big golden thing & he loves to be outside. But, we had alot of rain (here, alot of rain is over 1/10") and his yard is muddy. She is having a heck of a time keeping him clean.

She's been out there for two hours sitting with the dog this morning and will go back again two more times today..she takes a book or a friend with to pass the time..