PDA

View Full Version : Jesus wept.

Articulate_Ape
01-14-2010, 01:32 AM
This is one of the reasons why.

This is why. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM)

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 02:45 AM
This is one of the reasons why.

This is why. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM)

He said "it MAY be a blessing in disguise and that there may be a Massive Rebuilding effort of that country"

If you are going to quote someone, get it right.

Articulate_Ape
01-14-2010, 02:55 AM
He said "it MAY be a blessing in disguise and that there may be a Massive Rebuilding effort of that country"

Um, it is a video; his own words. What did I quote? What did I not get right? Ya lost me.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Um, it is a video; his own words. What did I quote? What did I not get right? Ya lost me.

Ok but what did you mean by "Jesus wept--This is the reason why".

SarasotaRepub
01-14-2010, 07:10 AM
This isn't "Breaking News". Please reserve the forum for what it was
intended for.

Oh and on edit: Pat is a real dumbass as times...:rolleyes:

FlaGator
01-14-2010, 07:57 AM
It may in fact being a blessing in disguise. We can't see what is at the end of this.

noonwitch
01-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Did you watch the whole thing? Pat goes on to talk about how Haiti made a deal with the devil when they kicked the French out, and how they have basically been paying for that ever since. I didn't know slave revolts were deals with the devil, but leave it to Pat to straighten us all out on that.

But this is from a guy who agreed with Jerry Falwell when he blamed 9-11 on gays and feminists, among other americans.

Just please, don't give him any money. Not even for the relief effort. The Salvation Army is a far more ethical organization, and you know they were already there when the earthquake struck, and they will continue working there for as long as their organization exists. Denominational/church relief groups are good, too, because you can keep track of where the money goes, if you feel the need to do so. When Pat is saying things like this, he makes all christians look ignorant and cruel.

hampshirebrit
01-14-2010, 09:44 AM
It may in fact being a blessing in disguise. We can't see what is at the end of this.

I doubt if anyone who's lost relatives and friends in the disaster will ever see it as a blessing in disguise.

Robertson made a stupid, thoughtless statement, whichever side of the religious fence one views it from.

FlaGator
01-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I doubt if anyone who's lost relatives and friends in the disaster will ever see it as a blessing in disguise.

Robertson made a stupid, thoughtless statement, whichever side of the religious fence one views it from.

At this moment in time you are corrrect, but I clearly stated that we don't know what the future holds and God's purposes and intentions are based on the big picture and not necessarily the here and now. What appears to be a horrible tragedy today may hold an unexpected blessing tomorrow. Are you familiar with the story of Joesph?

As for Roberts comments on God's retribution for some pack with the devil is over the edge, without proof that such a pack was made. I think that Roberts is listening to himself talk and mistaking it for the Holy Spirit.

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
While I don't know if any Satanic deals were cut, the idea that there is an opportunity for Haitians because of this disaster is pretty widespread. I must have heard this sentiment spoken 3 or 4 times yesterday by various people I ran into (not by 700 Club fans, either).

Everybody knows that Haiti is politically corrupt in the most entrenched sort of way and that a substantial number of the people are trapped in an economic system designed to keep them in near-slavery. When people (including Robertson, I guess) speak about a blessing in disguise, they are seeing a potential future in which the survivors benefit by having the old system broken.

Nobody would take the position of wishing for a natural disaster to accomplish this end but I think it's okay to recognize that a game-changing disaster could enable this end.

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Mock God or Christians much?:rolleyes:

linda22003
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Pat Robertson does, by making Christians appear to be nuts. He says in the video that Haitians pledged themselves to the devil (???) to free themselves from "Napoleon III". Haitian independence came in 1804. Napoleon III was born a few years AFTER that.

I've figured out why the woman sitting next to him just says "hmmm" when he makes that observation. It probably wouldn't be a good career move for her to leap to her feet and tell him just what a batshit crazy old bugger he is. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Pat Robertson does, by making Christians appear to be nuts. He says in the video that Haitians pledged themselves to the devil (???) to free themselves from "Napoleon III". Haitian independence came in 1804. Napoleon III was born a few years AFTER that.

I've figured out why the woman sitting next to him just says "hmmm" when he makes that observation. It probably wouldn't be a good career move for her to leap to her feet and tell him just what a batshit crazy old bugger he is. :rolleyes:
Pat Robertson is not who monkey boy is after, he is using this for an excuse. Who do you suppose he really is Linda?

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 10:29 AM

That what I got out of the Ape's statement.

For those that are bashing Pat, he done more for aiding the poor in countries like Africa than anyone I know. His statement about this tragedy may have been a little off the wall but at the end of this video he states that this is a new beginning for the people of Haiti and that he supports the building effort. Plus, you will see that he puts his money where his mouth is in lending aid. How about you. Talk is cheap. I will be sending a donation to the 700 Club for Haitian relief.

noonwitch
01-14-2010, 10:41 AM

She probably went to Regents University. I think it's as easy to get admitted there as it is to Florida State.
Or else she's an ex-Miss America, there seem to have been plenty of them working at CBN over the years.

On the other side, if anyone really wants to go make heads explode at DU, he or she should go over there and post about Anne Rice being a guest on today's show.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Pat Robertson is not who monkey boy is after, he is using this for an excuse. Who do you suppose he really is Linda?

Don't know. Don't care.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 10:44 AM
How about you. Talk is cheap. I will be sending a donation to the 700 Club for Haitian relief.

My husband and I have already sent a moderate donation ($500) to the Red Cross. I wouldn't dream of sending a nickel to the "700 Club".

FlaGator
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
My husband and I have already sent a moderate donation ($500) to the Red Cross. I wouldn't dream of sending a nickel to the "700 Club".

My money goes to the Red Cross too.

noonwitch
01-14-2010, 11:11 AM

When I get paid again, I'll donate through my church. My church basically just collects checks for the Red Cross during emergencies like this or Katrina-most of our direct outreach is to local charities.

I have been struck by the number of missionaries I've seen on the news coverage of the quake. Whatever insanity Pat is spewing about the devil, it appears to me that God loves Haiti and it's people, or His people wouldn't be there is such numbers. The UMC, UCC, Catholic Relief Organizations, Salvation Army, and pretty much every other denomination have had strong presences in Haiti since the Duvaliers left. There are probably some jewish organizations involved, too. It's the poorest country in the hemisphere.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM

The same Red Cross that tried to keep 50% of donations that explicitly were given for the 9/11 survivors . Had it not been for Bill O., they would have gotten away with it. Thanks but no thanks. I will send my money to the 700 Club.

NJCardFan
01-14-2010, 11:18 AM
There's a real easy way to donate through your cell phone. Just text "Haiti" to 90999 and you'll make a $10 donation through the Red Cross which is what I'm going to do. I wish I could give more but but unfortunately I can't.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 11:20 AM
The same Red Cross that tried to keep 50% of donations that explicitly were given for the 9/11 survivors . ...I will send my money to the 700 Club.

No, we sent it here. Not to a shyster "preacher", which is of course your right to do.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/helpicrc

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't care who donates what to whom but check out the Haitian scam article in Economics if you're considering a donation to an agency you've never heard of before. ;)

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
No, we sent it here. Not to a shyster "preacher", which is of course your right to do.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/helpicrc

According to a stupid bitch like you. FYI, the Red Cross today is the same one that was skimming 9/11 donations.

jendf
01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Food for the Hungry (http://www.fh.org/learn/news/disaster/haiti-rocked-by-powerful-quake?promocode=WA25WD0A2) is another organization you can donate to. I have the same reservations about the Red Cross as Lacarnut does.

I wouldn't donate to that wackadoodle Pat Robertson and the 700 Club if my life was in grave danger. Pat Robertson will be joining Bin Laden, Hitler, and Hussein in Hell.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
According to a stupid bitch like you. FYI, the Red Cross today is the same one that was skimming 9/11 donations.

My, aren't we nasty today, just because I don't like Mr. Robertson. You seem to take that personally. The American Red Cross is the organization which had 9/11 problems, and I believe they have since addressed the problem.

I said that if you were willing to be associated with Robertson, that was your right. Why so cranky?

linda22003
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't donate to that wackadoodle Pat Robertson and the 700 Club if my life was in grave danger. Pat Robertson will be joining Bin Laden, Hitler, and Hussein in Hell.

Welcome to Lacarnut's Stupid Bitch club! I'm in far better company than I would be in the 700 Club! :p

jendf
01-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Welcome to Lacarnut's Stupid Bitch club! I'm in far better company than I would be in the 700 Club! :p

Lacarnut is alright. He probably just forgot to eat his bowl of Fiber One this morning.

I think we are all so passionate about this because seeing people in distress, like the folks in Haiti, brings out our natural desire to help in any way we can.

Pat Robertson's first desire was to go on TV and insult the Haiti people and say they deserved it. His heart is ugly. He's not a good man.

Lacarnut and Linda, you are both good people.

Look at me...trying to build bridges...what a hoot.

AmPat
01-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Did you watch the whole thing? Pat goes on to talk about how Haiti made a deal with the devil when they kicked the French out, and how they have basically been paying for that ever since. I didn't know slave revolts were deals with the devil, but leave it to Pat to straighten us all out on that.

But this is from a guy who agreed with Jerry Falwell when he blamed 9-11 on gays and feminists, among other americans.

Just please, don't give him any money. Not even for the relief effort. The Salvation Army is a far more ethical organization, and you know they were already there when the earthquake struck, and they will continue working there for as long as their organization exists. Denominational/church relief groups are good, too, because you can keep track of where the money goes, if you feel the need to do so. When Pat is saying things like this, he makes all christians look ignorant and cruel.

I wouldn't give a dirty penney to that anti-American International Red Cross.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
My, aren't we nasty today, just because I don't like Mr. Robertson. You seem to take that personally. The American Red Cross is the organization which had 9/11 problems, and I believe they have since addressed the problem.

I said that if you were willing to be associated with Robertson, that was your right. Why so cranky?

My, did you take your stupid pill today. FYI, The American Red Cross has had many problems with theft since 9/11 with employees going to prison. You really need to keep up with the current news. So, you believed WRONG.

If you want to throw rocks, bring it on cause you will get them thrown back at you. It amuses me when you play the whinny wounded victim routine.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
If you want to throw rocks, bring it on cause you will get them thrown back at you. It amuses me when you play the whinny wounded victim routine.

I haven't thrown anything, and I don't whinny (that's the sound a horse makes). Really, you're reasonable some of the time, but sometimes you just decide to be ugly. Maybe Jen was right, and a good bowel movement will make you feel better.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 12:11 PM

At least when you give to an American non profit outfit, you know that any crookery that goes on benefits an American rather than some Swiss outfit that has little oversight in a foreign country.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I haven't thrown anything, and I don't whinny (that's the sound a horse makes). Really, you're reasonable some of the time, but sometimes you just decide to be ugly. Maybe Jen was right, and a good bowel movement will make you feel better.

Why don't you take a good shit and maybe the hogs will eat you. Next.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
What hogs? We apparently live in very different types of neighborhoods. :p

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
What hogs? We apparently live in very different types of neighborhoods. :p

You live in a suburb of DC. Correct. Plenty of slop there.

Gingersnap
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
People, people.....let's not lose sight of our higher inclinations such as poking fun at Pat Robertson or agreeing with his basic premise.

Whichever option offers more amusement. ;)

linda22003
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
People, people.....let's not lose sight of our higher inclinations such as poking fun at Pat Robertson or agreeing with his basic premise.

Whichever option offers more amusement. ;)

I chose mine, but someone else forgot to be amused. :confused: And they say women are hormonal! :p

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 12:46 PM
I chose mine, but someone else forgot to be amused. :confused: And they say women are hormonal! :p

Like I said, I am amused at someone playing the whiny victim mode.

linda22003
01-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Like I said, I am amused at someone playing the whiny victim mode.

I'm truly not aware of where I did that, or why it looked that way to you. I'm just proud that you spelled "whiny" correctly this time.

noonwitch
01-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Then give to the Salvation Army, if you are inclined to give. They are one of the more accountable charities out there.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Then give to the Salvation Army, if you are inclined to give. They are one of the more accountable charities out there.

I give to the Salvation Army but not the crooks at the Red Cross.

lacarnut
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm truly not aware of where I did that, or why it looked that way to you. I'm just proud that you spelled "whiny" correctly this time.

Starting a sentence off with the word "and" shows poor writing skills. BTW, you will be glad to hear that I had a b.m. moments prior to posting. My daily fiber intake keeps my pipes cleaned out.

BadCat
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Anybody know of a charity to help the homeless cats and dogs down there?

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 01:46 PM

Unfortunately they will likely be lunch!

FlaGator
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Sadly the are the forgotten victims in situations like this. If anybody learns of one I'll be happy to contribute.

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Sadly the are the forgotten victims in situations like this. If anybody learns of one I'll be happy to contribute.

They had a deal set up during the Katrina catastrophe but we view pets differently than most countries.

noonwitch
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM

The Humane Society is getting ready to send assistance to Haiti.

FlaGator
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
They had a deal set up during the Katrina catastrophe but we view pets differently than most countries.

Quite a few got adopted by people in Jax. Some were permenant and others were foster adoptions. It was nice to see that the pets were being thought of.

Rockntractor
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
The Humane Society is getting ready to send assistance to Haiti.
Thanks Noonie!:)

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Food for the Hungry (http://www.fh.org/learn/news/disaster/haiti-rocked-by-powerful-quake?promocode=WA25WD0A2) is another organization you can donate to. I have the same reservations about the Red Cross as Lacarnut does.

:rolleyes:

Please list the atrocities that Pat Robertson has been in please that even come close to those three?

Rebel Yell
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Personally, I'm not giving shit. My wife gave $100 the day of Katrina. I warned her not to. After a couple days of watching how the primates were acting over there, she said she wished she could get her money back. I feel for the people there, just not enough to give them money.

jendf
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
:rolleyes:

Please list the atrocities that Pat Robertson has been in please that even come close to those three?

While he hasn't killed people (that I'm aware of) in the name of Allah like they have, I think he uses the name of God as a shield to present his distorted, un-Christian views from his pulpit.

God wants us to help those in need by feeding them, clothing them, and helping wherever possible so that they might come to know God and His love.

Getting on a national stage and saying, "They totally had it coming!" makes me recoil in horror. Imagine someone who doesn't know Christ hearing that. That kind of thing probably makes people turn away from God, not toward Him.

For Robertson to suggest that he somehow knows God's motivations or reasoning for anything strikes me as blasphemous and I'm pretty sure that earns you a one-way ticket to Hell.

But I don't know for sure, of course. It's just my opinion.

Speedy
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
While some people may think that this is a good way for Haiti to have a new start with a clean slate, I sincerely doubt it. I am sure that they could do it, with proper leadership and support but are you kidding? Even now Obama can't say that the Haitians are in control of their own rescue efforts fast enough. Obama could not lead a retard parade. It is too Un-PC to even consider imposing anything on Haiti.

A golden opportunity will have been missed and Haiti will be poorer and more miserable for it.

MountainMan
01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
For Robertson to suggest that he somehow knows God's motivations or reasoning for anything strikes me as blasphemous and I'm pretty sure that earns you a one-way ticket to Hell.

Nope, the only sure way to get a ticket to hell is to turn away from God. After that, God judges as he see's fit too.

Lanie
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
intended for.

I'm deeply disturbed that they take the man seriously enough to let him be on the 700 club. They want an ultra conservative. I get it. Do they need to have a hateful one?

Lanie
01-14-2010, 11:27 PM
While he hasn't killed people (that I'm aware of) in the name of Allah like they have, I think he uses the name of God as a shield to present his distorted, un-Christian views from his pulpit.

God wants us to help those in need by feeding them, clothing them, and helping wherever possible so that they might come to know God and His love.

Getting on a national stage and saying, "They totally had it coming!" makes me recoil in horror. Imagine someone who doesn't know Christ hearing that. That kind of thing probably makes people turn away from God, not toward Him.

I agree with some of the boldened part. Nobody has a right to speak for God. I don't think Pat will necessarily go to Hell, but I do think God might have a word or two with him at some point.

Lanie
01-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Nope, the only sure way to get a ticket to hell is to turn away from God. After that, God judges as he see's fit too.

Define turning away from God.

The bible says the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which is interpreted in different ways.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Ok but what did you mean by "Jesus wept--This is the reason why".

I think I said "This is one of the reasons why", if I'm not mistaken. My post's title was meant as a rhetorical lead in to the babbling of a modern day Pharisee. Sorry if it flew over your head, it was not meant to.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
intended for.

My apologies and duly noted.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 01:01 AM

You keep trying to call me on this. How have I mocked God or Christians here? What the hell is your problem? You want to do a debate on Biblical scripture? Bring it on. You want to explain what I have said that is offensive to you? Thanks. If not, then get off my case. Thank you.

Rockntractor
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I think I said "This is one of the reasons why", if I'm not mistaken. My post's title was meant as a rhetorical lead in to the babbling of a modern day Pharisee. Sorry if it flew over your head, it was not meant to.
There is no need to talk down to him and nothing you have said has gone over anyones head. Think much of yourself? But of course thats coming from a hick like me.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
There is no need to talk down to him and nothing you have said has gone over anyones head. Think much of yourself? But of course thats coming from a hick like me.

Sigh

lacarnut
01-15-2010, 06:54 AM

It did not fly over my head. I think you were mocking God. My opinion. If you do not like it, tough titty. Your writing leaves a lot to be desired though. You need a period or semicolon after "head" to separate the two sentences.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
It did not fly over my head. I think you were mocking God. My opinion. If you do not like it, tough titty. Your writing leaves a lot to be desired though. You need a period or semicolon after "head" to separate the two sentences.

"My opinion." is not a proper sentence, but who's splitting hairs? Peace.

AmPat
01-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Mind you, I did specify INTERNATIONAL Red Cross. The organization that just can't insult the USA enough. The American Red Cross-Maybe. There is a chance I might go in an official capacity. I'd like to add that my heart and prayers go out to these people. They didn't do anything to bring this on dispite what Robertson says. The rain falls on the just and the unjust.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
They didn't do anything to bring this on dispite what Robertson says. The rain falls on the just and the unjust.

Amen.

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm deeply disturbed that they take the man seriously enough to let him be on the 700 club. They want an ultra conservative. I get it. Do they need to have a hateful one?

Baby, the 700 Hundred Club is the Christian culture equivalent of your local "morning" show. It's a feel-good, fluff show that offers entertainers, minor Christian celebutards, and lifestyle tips for the retired and the unemployed.

The MSM delights in picturing this show as a Christian version of PBS but it isn't. This show isn't any more "influential" among Christians than 'American Idol'. Robertson has a shrinking following but he's not an important voice among Evangelicals today, let alone among American Protestants.

This is like really paying attention to what Gwyn Paltrow thinks about skin creams and motherhood. :rolleyes: :D

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Well said, Ginger. Also, to be fair, it seemed like the other folks in that clip were almost speechless at what was coming out of Roberston's mouth.

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Well said, Ginger. Also, to be fair, it seemed like the other folks in that clip were almost speechless at what was coming out of Robertson's mouth.

His later point that this tragedy could potentially help Haiti to move into the 21st century and right some long-standing wrongs is true. Only time will tell.

Articulate_Ape
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
His later point that this tragedy could potentially help Haiti to move into the 21st century and right some long-standing wrongs is true. Only time will tell.

Well, they certainly are gonna have to start pretty much from scratch, so maybe what comes out of this will be a Haiti that isn't an utter shit hole. As you say, time will tell.

MrsSmith
01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
http://bigjournalism.com/jdboreing/2010/01/20/former-sportscaster-demonizes-robertson-misses-christians-charity/

Olbermann Demonizes Robertson, Misses Christianís Charity

This week, thousands of Haitians will be the beneficiaries of Pat Robertson. In fact, long before the horrific earthquake struck on Tuesday, when many of the more fashionable humanitarians who always flock to every tragedy probably would have been hard-pressed to find the island of Hispaniola on a map, Robertsonís Operation Blessing was already hard at work, helping to address the centuries-old tragedy that is Haitian poverty. Many Haitian bellies have been filled in the past, and undoubtedly many more Haitians will live and be fed in the coming days, because of Robertson and his organization, which has given more than $500 million in aid to suffering people since it began in 1978.

Articulate_Ape
01-23-2010, 12:23 AM
No offense, but I'd like to see the Operation Blessing's books. Call me whatever you want, but I think any charity's books should be public domain, whether it is the Red Cross, UNICEF, or whatever.

MrsSmith
01-23-2010, 07:18 AM
No offense, but I'd like to see the Operation Blessing's books. Call me whatever you want, but I think any charity's books should be public domain, whether it is the Red Cross, UNICEF, or whatever.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4265

Overall Rating (62.41)

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten.detail&listid=100

Ten top-ranked charities, scores range from 61.66 to 69.77.

In contrast:
American Cancer Society Overall Rating (52.84)

American Red Cross Overall Rating (54.62)

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Overall Rating (58.12)

obx
01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Thank you Mrs Smith. Just what I needed to shut some people up.
________
Lansing Metal Center (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Lansing_Metal_Center)

MrsSmith
01-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Thank you Mrs Smith. Just what I needed to shut some people up.

When someone does actually "put their money where their mouth is," we should understand the entire picture.

Articulate_Ape
01-23-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4265

Overall Rating (62.41)

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten.detail&listid=100

Ten top-ranked charities, scores range from 61.66 to 69.77.

In contrast:
American Cancer Society Overall Rating (52.84)

American Red Cross Overall Rating (54.62)

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Overall Rating (58.12)

Very Nice! Thank you for that.