PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Eli

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 11:37 AM
The Book of Eli homepage (http://thebookofeli.warnerbros.com/#/About)

Anybody planning on seeing this movie this weekend? If so, can I get a review? It looks fascinating and I like both Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington.

Apache
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I've been tossing it back and forth :cool:

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
We're seeing "Daybreakers" this weekend and "The Book of Eli" next weekend. Mr. Snaps was rolling his eyes this morning when he found out the premise of "Eli" was that all copies of the bible had been destroyed in the wake of a disaster. Mr. Snaps didn't think that the average survivor was smart enough to recognize a lot of bibles, let alone smart enough to destroy all of them.

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
We're seeing "Daybreakers" this weekend and "The Book of Eli" next weekend. Mr. Snaps was rolling his eyes this morning when he found out the premise of "Eli" was that all copies of the bible had been destroyed in the wake of a disaster. Mr. Snaps didn't think that the average survivor was smart enough to recognize a lot of bibles, let alone smart enough to destroy all of them.

And this was what I was wondering...Whether or not it is a slam on Christianity or not.

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I've been tossing it back and forth :cool:

BTW Apache, it is good seeing you again. :cool:

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
And this was what I was wondering...Whether or not it is a slam on Christianity or not.

One reviewer describes it "as uncomfortably evangelical". LOL! I'm there! :D

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 01:28 PM
One reviewer describes it "as uncomfortably evangelical". LOL! I'm there! :D

Link to the review? :(

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Personally, I am waiting to hear Michael Medved's review this afternoon on his radio show. Hoping for the best. Denzel isn't know as an anti-Christian so I remain hopeful.

Gingersnap
01-15-2010, 01:50 PM

I can't find it right this minute but a lot of others are also saying that it has a Christian message so they are vaguely negative about it. I say "vaguely" because the star is black and they have a hard time saying anything bad about Denzel. I like him a lot, myself.

Apache
01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
BTW Apache, it is good seeing you again. :cool:Thanks bud, you too...

expat-pattaya
01-16-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm waiting to hear what it is about. Like Avatar, hype can lead to a crappy movie. I hope this one is better. They can start by focusing on entertainment first. If they want to insert a message make sure it is secondary to an interesting plot.

NJCardFan
01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Personally, I am waiting to hear Michael Medved's review this afternoon on his radio show. Hoping for the best. Denzel isn't know as an anti-Christian so I remain hopeful.
The thing I like about Denzel is that he keeps his politics to himself.

Bubba Dawg
01-16-2010, 03:27 AM

http://blog.reelloop.com/6128/reviews/review-book-eli/

BSR
01-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Saw it yesterday and it was a really good movie. Had a stong Christian message and I dont think it mocked or disparaged Christianity in any way. I was actually surprised Hollywood would put out a movie like this since they shy away from Christianity at any point. It was very violent so if you dont like violence I wouldnt suggest it.

djones520
01-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I haven't been psyched about it, but will most likely end up seeing it eventually. I'm generally a fan of Denzel's. Loved what he did in Man on Fire.

Speedy
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I haven't been psyched about it, but will most likely end up seeing it eventually. I'm generally a fan of Denzel's. Loved what he did in Man on Fire.

Man on Fire was a brilliant performance for Denzel.

I like movies that have a Christian character but are not pushy with the whole faith bit. One movie where this was very well done was Minority Report. The character, Danny Witwer was a deeply devout Christian who explained his faith to the main character and prayed twice on camera. Once before he got into a fight and once after he had been shot and his assassin was approaching to deliver the coup de grace.