PDA

View Full Version : "Even If They Lose,They Win .Senate Can Pass Health With 51 Votes"

megimoo
01-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Senate Can Pass Health With 51 Votes", Van Hollen Says

Even if Democrats lose the special election to pick a new Massachusetts senator Tuesday, Congress may still pass health-care overhaul through a process called reconciliation, a top House Democrat said.That procedure requires 51 votes rather than the 60 needed to prevent Republicans from blocking votes on President Barack Obama’s top legislative priorities. That supermajority is at risk as the Massachusetts race has tightened.

“Even before Massachusetts and that race was on the radar screen, we prepared for the process of using reconciliation,” Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said.“Getting health-care reform passed is important,” Van Hollen said in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital with Al Hunt,” airing this weekend. “Reconciliation is an option.”

Should Democrats take that route, the legislation would have to be scaled back because of Senate rules.He also said he expects Democratic Senate candidate Martha Coakley to win in Massachusetts.Van Hollen said Republican predictions that the political climate had changed so much that they can capture the 40 seats needed to regain control of the House was “pure hallucination.”

‘Into the Ditch’

“Why would you hand the keys to the car back to the same guys whose policies drove the economy into the ditch and then walked away from the scene of the accident?” Van Hollen said. “For the Republicans to say vote for us and bring back the guys who got us into this mess in the first place, I don’t think it’s a winner.”

He said Democrats expect to see their majority shrink this year because the party that occupies the White House traditionally loses congressional seats in the first midterm election.At the end of a week dominated by images of death and destruction after the Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti, Van Hollen said lawmakers likely will approve whatever relief money the president requests. Obama has already asked for $100 million.

“We want to help people who need relief immediately, and so to that extent I support it,” Van Hollen said this afternoon.Separately, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced that Haitian nationals now in the U.S. will be allowed to stay for an additional 18 months because of the quake devastation.

snip
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aPg2UfFaCh9c&pos=9

coach
01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
They have threatened this for some time both Reid and Obama.

The question is, will the Congresscritters risk doing this ?

They are under enough heat to stay on board as it is. Cantor has 30some dems targetd in the House now and this gives them a great excuse to flip the other way and look good to their constituents for making the Senate play by the rules.

This is very dangerous to the dems.

lacarnut
01-16-2010, 12:44 AM
I assume that the House would vote first on passage, and that the bill would require only a majority. Since this dog only passed by 2 votes, it might get defeated in the House. Therefore, that makes decisions by the Senate a moot point.

Swampfox
01-16-2010, 03:56 PM
And one of the House members that voted for it retired and isn't currently seated to vote for it. Then there's the "Republican" Cao, who likely won't want to be the deciding vote. That doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room.

Speedy
01-16-2010, 04:05 PM
The way it looks now, the bitch running for Ted Kennedy's seat will not only be defeated but trampled on tuesday. Should this happen, it will send shivers down the hollow shaft down the Democrat's backs where a spine usually is. Many house members would get a clear look at their future fate. I expect the healthcare bill to fail should this happen.

Elspeth
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
The way it looks now, the bitch running for Ted Kennedy's seat will not only be defeated but trampled on tuesday. Should this happen, it will send shivers down the hollow shaft down the Democrat's backs where a spine usually is. Many house members would get a clear look at their future fate. I expect the healthcare bill to fail should this happen.

Your lips to God's ears!

Speedy
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Your lips to God's ears!

One thing strikes me about Obama. Many of the Senate and House want to be seen as on his side, but he has no friends. The people around him are there because of what he can get or do for them. As his popularity slides and political capital evaporates, you will see fewer people around him. I do not believe that there is anyone who would fall on their sword for him. Bill Clinton had people willing to put their careers on the line for him. I do not think that people feel the same loyalty toward Obama.

Rockntractor
01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't think Hussein would be headed there if he didn't think the democrat would win!

Speedy
01-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think Hussein would be headed there if he didn't think the democrat would win!

Really? Like he headed overseas because he had the Olympics in the bag for Chicago? Like he helped Corzine? Like the whole Climate Conference went? So he is going to Missus choo sets for a victory party?

Rockntractor
01-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Really? Like he headed overseas because he had the Olympics in the bag for Chicago? Like he helped Corzine? Like the whole Climate Conference went? So he is going to Missus choo sets for a victory party?
Both Rush and Glenn beck think the same thing. The white house has access to polls we don't. I hope they are wrong

AlmostThere
01-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Is there any poll more accurate than Rasmussen's? :confused:

lacarnut
01-16-2010, 11:49 PM
One thing strikes me about Obama. Many of the Senate and House want to be seen as on his side, but he has no friends. The people around him are there because of what he can get or do for them. As his popularity slides and political capital evaporates, you will see fewer people around him. I do not believe that there is anyone who would fall on their sword for him. Bill Clinton had people willing to put their careers on the line for him. I do not think that people feel the same loyalty toward Obama.

Money talks and bullshit walks and the O has plenty of money to spread around. For example, the TARP money paid back to the Feds is his big slush fund. However, I do agree that Clinton has a group of higher degree people than the Magic Negro. Most politicians are looking out for number 1, and their main concern is getting re-elected in most cases. So, I am hoping that Brown wins, and that this is the start of the O's Waterloo moment.

Elspeth
01-17-2010, 12:21 AM

That's very true. Clinton had a way of building loyalty, even if it was totally fake. He was good at getting people to stay loyal too. Obama apparently is alienating even his closest people. He didn't even step in to help Caroline Kennedy get the NY Senate seat, even though it was her and her uncle's endorsement that pushed Oblahblah ahead of Hillary Clinton. There's a lot of bad feeling about that. I guess he figured Teddy was going to die anyway, so fuck his niece.