PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Gray Day

Bubba Dawg
01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Much warmer on the Mountain. The temp now is 46 degrees with heavy fog and drizzly rain. I love this kind of weather.

Why would I love a Gray Day? Well, the perfect Gray Day is one where I don't have to be out and about. If I do go out it is my choice and obviously not because it is a workday.

Today it is Sunday, so for me only Anglican Worship will do on such a day. Personal preference there. Candles. Rite One. The blessed organ is not playing. Reverential. Quiet. Shuffling feet. The smell of good beeswax candles. Then warm wool coats and warm hats and scarves and we're off for breakfast.

At home, settle into warm fuzzy clothes, sweats for me and fuzzy slippers. I like to make soup and bake bread on a Gray Day. Then while the soup is simmering and the dough is rising I'll read a book while drinking coffee or tea.

Later I'll sit out on the covered portion of the deck and sip scotch and smoke a cigar while contemplating the fog.

A Gray Day is also a great day to watch, or re-watch, a favorite movie. I may pull out one of the LOTR trilogy to watch. I'm also going to watch the Cowboys and the Vikings.

I do love a day like this.

TOTD: What are your preferences for a Gray Day? Food? Activities? Beverages? Reading or viewing?

djones520
01-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Busy day today. Tons of work for the Hatian relief effort. I'll be watching the Wing/Blackhawks game in a couple hours.

TOTD: Don't have any real particular things I enjoy doing on such a day. Sometimes I'll stay in, sometimes I'll go out. Kinda treat it as any other day.

Rockntractor
01-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Thick fog and mud and more mud and more mud. It's that womans birthday today so I'll take her out for dinner this evening if I can convince her to leave the house.

Bubba Dawg
01-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Thick fog and mud and more mud and more mud. It's that womans birthday today so I'll take her out for dinner this evening if I can convince her to leave the house.

Happy Birthday to Miz Rock. :)

If you do go out, Wot's for dinner?

Bubba Dawg
01-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Busy day today. Tons of work for the Hatian relief effort. I'll be watching the Wing/Blackhawks game in a couple hours.

TOTD: Don't have any real particular things I enjoy doing on such a day. Sometimes I'll stay in, sometimes I'll go out. Kinda treat it as any other day.

I was thinking that you might be busy on that one. Good on ya' for your work.

djones520
01-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I was thinking that you might be busy on that one. Good on ya' for your work.

Yeah, we've been non-stop here. Even our 9-5 admin folks are in here on the holiday weekend helping out.

Rockntractor
01-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Outback or lone star. I may need to take one of the 4 wheel drive flatbeds to get into town, the roads are collapsing, we are at one with mud. A sea of reddish brown pudding!

Bubba Dawg
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Outback or lone star. I may need to take one of the 4 wheel drive flatbeds to get into town, the roads are collapsing, we are at one with mud. A sea of reddish brown pudding!

Oh man, nothing like red clay mud. Sticky and slick at the same time.

And there is no mud quite like the mud made when the ground freezes wet and then thaws out. You had plenty of snow out there if I remember correctly.

Rockntractor
01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Oh man, nothing like red clay mud. Sticky and slick at the same time.

And there is no mud quite like the mud made when the ground freezes wet and then thaws out. You had plenty of snow out there if I remember correctly.
The ground was frozen 7 inches down and than we had a foot of snow followed by rain and more rain, know the frost is gone and we are floating like bits of bacon in pea soup!

Bubba Dawg
01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
The ground was frozen 7 inches down and than we had a foot of snow followed by rain and more rain, know the frost is gone and we are floating like bits of bacon in pea soup!

All I had for breakfast was Pea Green Soup

All I had for dinner was Pea Green Soup

All I had for suppper was Pea Green Soup.

All I did all night was Pee Green Soup. :D

Shannon
01-17-2010, 12:04 PM
It's semi warm and windy here today. The sun isn't out but I don't care as long as it's not freezing anymore. That was the longest two weeks of my life.:( I was going to go to the office for a bit but I'm not feeling it now. I'm reading a new book and I would really like to see the Cowboys lose so I think I'll stay home.

TOTD: Reading.

hampshirebrit
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
The big thaw is upon us in Teh Yuk. All last week's snow is nearly gone now.

TOTD. Cooking. It's pretty much my favourite pastime nowadays. Even more so when I cook for others...I had a couple of good friends over last night for din. There's something about it, the way that it engages all ones senses, that makes it very satisfying.

Rockntractor
01-17-2010, 09:08 PM

I took Rockette to the outback for supper, we have never been disappointed with their food,She had shrimp stuffed with crab,garlic mashed potatoes and a small fillet. I had a large prime rib outback style, baked potato with lots of stuff on it and a blue cheese lettuce wedge. I think it was even tastier than normal. She is back in her chair now full and happy watching tv.

RobJohnson
01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
I took Rockette to the outback for supper, we have never been disappointed with their food,She had shrimp stuffed with crab,garlic mashed potatoes and a small fillet. I had a large prime rib outback style, baked potato with lots of stuff on it and a blue cheese lettuce wedge. I think it was even tastier than normal. She is back in her chair now full and happy watching tv.

Sounds like a great meal.

I had the windows open most of the day, it was close to 70 here.

I had company last night and fixed breakfast this morning.

For dinner, my mom & I had Subway after going out and checking on a dog that is waiting for it's owners to return from IN.

Back to work on Monday, it will be hell.

Rockntractor
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a great meal.

I had the windows open most of the day, it was close to 70 here.

I had company last night and fixed breakfast this morning.

For dinner, my mom & I had Subway after going out and checking on a dog that is waiting for it's owners to return from IN.

Back to work on Monday, it will be hell.

I'm not sure what I will do tomorrow, I have a customer that needs their Christmas lights taken down off the house I may do that.

lacarnut
01-18-2010, 12:58 AM

I have not been to Outback in ages. There is one less than a mile from my house. The shrimp and fillet sounds scrumptious. Gotta keep the little lady pleased. :D You did good.

SaintLouieWoman
01-18-2010, 08:40 AM

That's how I feel wping off all the mud from those 12 greyhound paws. The mud in the backyard is awful, but it's nice seeing the green grass out there after the greyt melt. The dogsitter last year had taken most of my towels from the linen closet and put them over the beige carpet in the bedroom (there's a French door leading to the patio). I copied him and have towels all over the floor there. It looks terrible, but not as bad as it would if all those muddy paw prints were on the carpet vs the towels, that I'll probably wash today.

It looks like today will be another grey, muddy day.

Bubba Dawg
01-18-2010, 10:54 AM

The nearest Outback to here is about 65 miles away. :(

Rockntractor
01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
The nearest Outback to here is about 65 miles away. :(

It''s about 35 miles for me and well worth the drive. There is a steak house in Cushing OK called the steer inn that I highly recommend, they have all you can eat prime rib on Saturday and they do a fine job, it's an 85 mile drive but we enjoy it. Oklahoma is kind of spread out once you get outside of Tulsa or OK city, you soon get used to driving awhile to get places.