PDA

View Full Version : " Democrats Ponder a Backup Plan on Health Care Bill"

megimoo
01-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Hoping It Wonít Be Needed, Democrats Ponder a Backup Plan on Health Care Bill

With the Massachusetts special election for United States Senate increasingly unpredictable, Democrats in Washington are contemplating a fall-back plan to advance far-reaching health care legislation, even if a Republican victory on Tuesday deprives Senate Democrats of the crucial 60th vote they need to overcome filibusters.

For the moment, at least, the preferred Plan B would be to try to persuade House Democrats to approve the health care bill that the Senate adopted on Christmas Eve, obviating the need for an additional Senate vote and sending the measure directly to President Obama for his signature, administration officials and Congressional aides said on Sunday.

House Democrats have expressed complaints about the Senate legislation, and Congressional leaders and top White House officials, including Mr. Obama, worked last week to negotiate various compromises.

Over all, however, the bills are similar, if not identical, on a vast majority of issues. For supporters of the health care overhaul, the complaints with the Senate bill may seem minor compared with the prospect of outright defeat of the legislation, the presidentís top domestic initiative, and the thought of Republicansí using a health care failure to clobber Democrats in this fallís midterm elections.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/health/policy/18health.html

Wei Wu Wei
01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
As a liberal, I've been disguted with how this health care nonsense is being pushed through. I already ripped off my Obama bumper sticker from my car. If they rush through the (awful) senate version through the house for quick passage to avoid a Republican filibuster, it seals the deal.

Rockntractor
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
As a liberal, I've been disguted with how this health care nonsense is being pushed through. I already ripped off my Obama bumper sticker from my car. If they rush through the (awful) senate version through the house for quick passage to avoid a Republican filibuster, it seals the deal.

Wow! Are you thee Wei Wu Wei, The owiginal? Way to go on getting that Obamanation off your car. Even liberals are starting to see that something is going on that isn't good for freedom!:D

Speedy
01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
They just don't get it! They KNOW that the American people are against it. They truly believe that the American people just don't understand that this is for our own good. If only they could get this through and we would not only understand but be eternally grateful. This is the height of their elitism. They are so much smarter than we are if only we would listen.

PoliCon
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
They will have trouble getting the senate bill through the house because of the abortion issue.