PDA

View Full Version : Patrice Cormier Brutal Cheap Shot on Mikael Tam (Jan 17th 2010)

megimoo
01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Patrice Cormier Sends Opponent Into Convulsions with Dirty Hit

A reader sent us this hit from a QMJHL (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League) game that happened on Sunday. Maybe it's the angle or the low quality footage, but at first the shot doesn't look that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplfhPu4iiU&feature=player_embedded

Obviously no one wants to get hit in the face with an elbow by someone who has a full head of steam, but you know it's serious when the video hits the 12-second mark and Quebec Remparts defenceman Mikael Tam is convulsing on the ice. (Warning: The video is disturbing.)

Speedy
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
The body reacts with seizures from head trauma two ways. If curls up into a fetal position or it grows completely stiff. Neither is a good sign as it is a sign of a brain injury. How the body reacts is a matter of the location of the injury. It looks like he was trying to curl up fetally but his body position would not allow it.

NJCardFan
01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
That player should be barred for life and charged with a crime. That was intent to injure if there ever was such a thing.

AlmostThere
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Cheap shot, yes. Give him a hefty suspension. But I seriously doubt he was trying to severely injure Tam. I'm not a big hockey fan by any stretch, but I've been to a few games and watched a few on TV. It is a brutal sport. I've seen some checks into the glass that seemed more malicious but because no one was seriously hurt, it was No Harm, No Foul. To paraphrase a line from The Replacements, "It's why girls don't play hockey.".

PoliCon
01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
You have to consider the combined speeds of both players - Theis guy should be tossed. He aimed for the head. That was intentional. He could have gone for the ribs or the chest - but he aimed for a take out. :mad:

AlmostThere
01-25-2010, 12:39 AM
You have to consider the combined speeds of both players - Theis guy should be tossed. He aimed for the head. That was intentional. He could have gone for the ribs or the chest - but he aimed for a take out. :mad:

Do you think as he was skating towards Tam, he was thinking, "I want to really hurt this guy badly"? I obviously have no way of knowing what was actually going through his head, but somehow I doubt his intention was to put him in the hospital with possible brain damage. It's just a damn brutal sport and he took it too far and for which he should be punished. I'm sure you've heard the line, "I went to a fight tonight and a hockey game broke out". Tam is already out of the hospital and is missing some teeth. I'll bet anyone who has played hockey on a competitive level is missing some teeth. When I was in the Army I had a friend from Chicago who was seriously into hockey. Nothing pro or even semi-pro, just league play. He told me once how before a game a lot of players can be seen taking dentures and bridge work out and putting them in a glasses of water before playing. It's why girls don't play.

You ever watch boxing? I use to love watching Tyson's one round fights. It was art in motion. Boxing is a sport where the ultimate goal is to knock your opponent unconscious or at least seriously incapacitated. I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges. My point is some sports we love are pretty damn violent. It just doesn't seem fair that we cheer when somebody lays a wicked shot on his opponent but act like we are totally innocent when the shot is a bit to wicked for our tastes.