PDA

View Full Version : 'No place for burqa' in Denmark, says Prime Minister

Sonnabend
01-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Link (http://www.news.com.au/world/no-place-for-burqa-in-denmark-says-prime-minister/story-e6frfkz9-1225821476011)

THE face-covering burqa and niqab veils worn by some Muslim women "have no place in Danish society", Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen has said. "They symbolise a view of women and humanity that we totally oppose and that we want to combat in Danish society," he said.

Denmark was "an open, democratic society where we look at the person to whom we are talking, whether it's in a classroom or on the job". "That is why we don't want to see this garment in Danish society," he said.

Mr Rasmussen said his centre-right government was "discussing ways of limiting the wearing" of the veils without violating the Scandinavian country's constitution. The prime minister's comments came a day after the publication of a report which showed that use of the burqa was "extremely rare" in Denmark, though no figures were given, and that the niqab was worn by "between 100 and 200" women.

The report was commissioned by the social affairs ministry and written by researchers at the University of Copenhagen.

It follows a heated debate on the burqa that has divided the two-party coalition government for months amid pressure from its key parliamentary ally the far-right Danish People's Party.

Some 100,000 Muslim women live in Denmark, representing about 1.9 per cent of Denmark's total population of 5.5 million. Some 0.15 per cent of the Muslim women wear the niqab, according to the report.

Denmark has had tense relations with the Muslim world following the publishing in 2005 of cartoons depicting Islam's Prophet Mohammed that were considered blasphemous and insulting by much of the Islamic world.

It triggered violent protests in Muslim countries.

The Danes have had enough. I wondered how long this would take. First France then Denmark.....and about bloody time.

noonwitch
01-20-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't see a lot of full-out burkas in metro Detroit, even in Dearborn. If women do wear them, they must stay at home a lot. Lots of hijabs, though, of all varieties-plain black, blue or tan ones to beautiful silk scarves with patterns and such on them. The younger women tend to wear the hijab with otherwise western clothes, and the older ones tend to wear it with more traditional dresses, but there really aren't that many in burkas. I see them walking in Hamtramck once in a while-some of the muslim immigrants there are from places like Yemen. The people in Dearborn are of Syrian and Lebanese descent, for the most part, and many are second-generation in this country.

I don't know if this was covered on the national news, but last week, when the underpants bomber was arraigned in Federal Court in Detroit, there were a bunch of muslim protestors, holding up signs that said "We are americans first". One of them was a young american muslim woman who had been on the plane, and was not happy about having had her life put in jeopardy-they wanted the guy at Gitmo, not in court. There was a crowd of about 50 protestors. The local media covered it.

Sonnabend
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Show her one of the Danish cartoons and ask her if 102 deaths were enough. Dont be surprised when she tells you that the infidels must die for their "blasphemy"

noonwitch
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Show her one of the Danish cartoons and ask her if 102 deaths were enough. Dont be surprised when she tells you that the infidels must die for their "blasphemy"

Hey, I was just pointing out the protesters for those posters who are always demanding that moderate muslims condemn the acts of the fanatics. There were american muslims doing so in Detroit during the underwear bomber's arraignment.

Bleda
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
There might indeed be many Muslims who disapprove of and even protest against terrorism, but I haven't seen any condemn Muhammad's actions and words, which motivate those terrorists.

When will a Muslim condemn Muhammad for stoning a woman for having pre-marital sex, or for beating his wife?

I'm not holding my breath.

Articulate_Ape
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/jawa.jpg

noonwitch
01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
There might indeed be many Muslims who disapprove of and even protest against terrorism, but I haven't seen any condemn Muhammad's actions and words, which motivate those terrorists.

When will a Muslim condemn Muhammad for stoning a woman for having pre-marital sex, or for beating his wife?

I'm not holding my breath.

There are a lot of things about Islam that I mistrust and don't like-I'm a feminist, and one of my major complaints about President Clinton's administration is that they did nothing about the Taliban, because of the way women were treated in Afganistan. I had to educate many of my coworkers after 9-11 about all of that, because most of them lived in a clueless world of local news coverage. Islam is not my religion, and never will be.

On the other hand, when I meet individual muslims, I try to get to know them as individual people, as fellow americans, who practice a different religion than I do. I live in a community with a lot of muslims. It doesn't hurt to get to know them.

Do modern Christians or Jews condemn Moses or Yaweh for commanding in Leviticus that a woman be stoned for adultry or fornication, or even worse, for not yelling out loud enough for help while being raped? Of course not. Why would you expect modern american muslims who don't stone women for such offenses to condemn their prophet for similar things?

It should be noted that prior to 9-11, the arab/muslim community was a strong republican voting block in Michigan. They helped elect Engler and Spence Abraham to offices in the past. They tend to be pro-business, anti-abortion, and share other conservative social values with republicans. In Michigan, they are a voting block large enough to sway a close election, like a Governor's race or a race to replace a long-serving senator (there are lots of rumours around politcal/legal circles that Levin is considering retiring at the end of this term). They voted overwhelmingly for Bush in 2000, even though he didn't carry Michigan in the long run.

I feel the same way about catholics/catholicism and pentecostals/pentecostalism that I do about muslims/Islam, for what it's worth.

Bleda
01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Okay, but now you're pulling the "What about the Christians?" card. It's irrelevant. I'm talking objectively here. Muslims believe Muhammad was the best of mankind. I don't understand this at all. A war lord, pedophile, rapist, a man who commanded his followers to stone rape-victims and hang homosexuals... was the best of mankind? I try to keep an open mind about this, I realize there are many, many good people who are Muslim, but honestly, how can anyone support such a man, let alone think he was the best of mankind?

And politics is also irrelevant. Good on them for voting conservative, but this is beyond politics.

PoliCon
01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Let them cover their heads if they like - but no one should be allowed to walk the streets with their faces covered like that and their photo ID needs to show their face.

Sonnabend
01-22-2010, 04:25 AM
Do modern Christians or Jews condemn Moses or Yaweh for commanding in Leviticus that a woman be stoned for adultry or fornication, or even worse, for not yelling out loud enough for help while being raped? Of course not. Why would you expect modern american muslims who don't stone women for such offenses to condemn their prophet for similar things?

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kanye-west-jesus-rolling-stone-cover.jpg

A few letters to the editor. A few phone calls.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RwdH5DTKRas/SoTX_W4jCaI/AAAAAAAAB2o/J3425GiRaSE/s400/mohammed%2520cartoon%2520danish-thumb.jpg

102 DEAD worldwide.

The day that I see a "one million muslim" march against the deaths. and offering sincere apologies for their intolerance is the day I will believe you.

We saw a massive protest against Iraq, Afghanistan...when do we see the same size march in opposition to the extremists they protect?

NEVER.