PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Daniels Recovering From Stroke.

Gingersnap
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Different Strokes

The day was magnificent. The snow was smooth and deep and the trail had just been groomed. We were skimming across the snow at a good clip doing one of my favorite things in the whole world, snowmobiling in the beautiful Rocky Mountain backcountry with our snowmobile buddies Cy and Jeannie Scarborough and some other friends, hitting the high spots and just having a wonderful time.

I noticed that my left hand was getting numb and thought that it was because I had been hanging on to the handle bars of my snowmobile for so long that it had gone to sleep, but then I felt the left side of my mouth starting growing numb and my left foot started getting hard to control and I knew something was happening to me. I knew I'd better get back down the mountain and get some help.

I told Cy how I was feeling and we immediately headed to the trailhead, for the longest 15-mile snowmobile ride I ever hope to take.

When we got to where we were parked, Jeannie gave me three baby aspirin and we got in Cy's vehicle and tore out for Mercy Regional Medical Center about 30 miles away in Durango.

I had so little coordination on my left side that I needed a wheel chair to make it to the emergency room where the staff hurriedly started diagnostic procedures.

A few minutes later, the doctor on duty told me what I was pretty sure of already. I was having a stroke in the right part of my brain, the part that controls the left hand side of your body, probably caused by a blood clot in the brain

They gave me a shot of a drug called tPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator), which breaks up blood clots and in a few minutes I was loaded aboard an ambulance plane and hurried off to Swedish Medical Center in Denver, Colorado, where I was hurriedly taken into the emergency room and examined by a very, very capable staff of doctors including a neurologist and was put in the critical care ward where I was hooked up to a battery of diagnostic machines and IVs and began the many tests I would be given in the next two days.

The early consensus of the doctors was that I had indeed had a stroke in the right hand part of my brain, as a CAT scan was later to confirm.

The only effect that it seemed to have left behind was a numbness in my left hand and a stiffness in my left arm.

They released me on Sunday morning and I went back to Durango, where I am writing this column.

More at the link.

Soap Box (http://www.charliedanielssoapbox.com/view_topic.php?id=8835&forum_id=4)

Rockntractor
01-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Another good reason for praying tonight!

SaintLouieWoman
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
So glad that things went right for him. SR and I saw him last year in San Diego at Hannity's Freedom Concert, benefitting the troops. He's supposed to be on the concert tour this year. He seems to be a very good man and one hell of a musician.

Articulate_Ape
01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Damn. He has to recover.

lacarnut
01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
This might be a wake up call for him to lose weight. Glad he is doing ok.

linda22003
01-21-2010, 08:39 AM
He's lucky he recognized the signs of what was happening to him. I've only seen him on a Geico commercial, but from what I did see I concur with the opinion that he needs to lose weight and take care of himself better.

noonwitch
01-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I played the violin as a kid and teen, from 5th grade on up. I still have it, but since I broke my arm a couple of years ago, I can't play it anymore. I can't move my elbow the right way to use the bow.

In orchestra class, we always had some time for just goofing with a small group in one of the practice rooms. We used to try to play like Charlie Daniels-most of us never were that good, so we'd do quartet versions of Eleanor Rigby or something easier like that.

Rebel Yell
01-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I played the violin as a kid and teen, from 5th grade on up. I still have it, but since I broke my arm a couple of years ago, I can't play it anymore. I can't move my elbow the right way to use the bow.

In orchestra class, we always had some time for just goofing with a small group in one of the practice rooms. We used to try to play like Charlie Daniels-most of us never were that good, so we'd do quartet versions of Eleanor Rigby or something easier like that.

Sugar, no one plays a violin like Charlie. If you're playing like Charlie, it's a fiddle.;)

One of my favorites.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzTU7VAPLY

NJCardFan
01-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Uneasy Rider, great song. Fellers dancin' and fellers kissin'. Too much. Get well CD!