PDA

View Full Version : "Saudis to Save Noble Wild Camels From Those Evil Australian Camel Killers "

megimoo
01-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Saudis Try to Save 6,000 Wild Camels Sentenced to Die in Australian Cull

"Beat the Kid to Death But Save those Camels !"

FERAL camels on death row in Australia have been thrown an unexpected lifeline from distant Saudi Arabia.

Saudi camel enthusiasts are calling on their wealthy countrymen to take the wild Australian animals to the desert kingdom, where the camel is "loved and respected".

The coals-to-Newcastle-style venture follows an announcement by the Australian government that it will cull 6,000 wild camels in a small northern town next week, using helicopter-borne marksmen.

"I own more than 80 camels but I am quite willing to receive as many more from Australia," said Salim Al-Hajjaji, who grew up with camels. "I am now about 50 years old, but I am as attached to camels as I was in my boyhood.

"The camel is an integral and celebrated part of Saudi heritage, an icon of its nomadic traditions. The Arabic language has more than 40 terms for different breeds, ages and genders of the animal.

Today, the creatures are valued for their milk and meat, while camel races are extremely popular sporting events. There are also "beauty" pageants similar to cat and dog shows in the West where winners can pick up huge cash prizes.

An eye-popping indication of a prized camel's value came last year when an owner reportedly made a $250,000 (155,000) compensation claim against the kingdom's oil giant, Saudi Aramco, for causing the death of one of his best animals.

He said the three-year-old female black camel, which he had entered for a major show, had tumbled into a large hole in the desert used to store crude oil.

Australia's relationship with the animal couldn't be more different. The Canberra government has committed millions of dollars to camel-culling over the next four years: Australia's million-strong population of wild camels is forecast to double in the next eight years if left unchecked.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/world/Saudis-try-to-save-6000.6000173.jp

Rockntractor
01-20-2010, 11:45 PM
They could start marketing camel jerky! I'd walk a kilometer for kamel, A picture of Ahab the Arab from down under on the package! With my marketing genius Sonnabend could be rich.:cool:

Articulate_Ape
01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Isn't 'camel' Arabic for 'mistress'?

lacarnut
01-21-2010, 12:02 AM
They could start marketing camel jerky! I'd walk a kilometer for kamel, A picture of Ahab the Arab from down under on the package! With my marketing genius Sonnabend could be rich.:cool:

Sounds like a winner to me. Get Ray Stevens to make a video and you would have camel jerky flying out of the stores. On the wings of a pig would be his second video.

Gingersnap
01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
If the Arabs want them, then why not give the camels over to them? It's probably where the ancestral camels came from in the first place. These camel fanciers probably have more than enough money to capture and transport the animals. It sounds like a win/win to me.

Rockntractor
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
If the Arabs want them, then why not give the camels over to them? It's probably where the ancestral camels came from in the first place. These camel fanciers probably have more than enough money to capture and transport the animals. It sounds like a win/win to me.

Quiet girly! I'm trying to make some money here.

Gingersnap
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Quiet girly! I'm trying to make some money here.

Stick with goats. Camels are nasty customers.

megimoo
01-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Camels Down Under

snip
In fact, it could be argued that the town of Alice Springs owes its existence to the hardy camel and the equally hardy cameleers. It was founded in the early 1870's as a repeater station for the Darwin-to-Adelaide Overland Telegraph Line - which was also built by men who depended on dromedaries for supplies and equipment. Plodding camels not only helped establish "The Alice," they brought it civilization - or at least music. The first piano arrived in the 1880's, the story goes, strapped to the back of a camel.

Aptly, the city holds a state legislative district, a primary school and a major thoroughfare all named after cameleer Saleh "Charlie" Sadadeen, who came to Alice Springs with his team in 1890. "Children were enthralled with his distinctive, flowing robes and intrigued with the long-stemmed pipe he smoked," reports the Alice Springs Centralian Advocate.

Men like Sadadeen came to Australia on two- to three-year contracts but often lived out their lives in the country, writes American geographer Tom McKnight in The Camel in Australia. While a handful became wealthy, deploying "thousands of camels organized into the backbone of corporate business," most toiled from dawn to well past dusk for low pay, and lived near outback towns in little communities distinguished by the "tin minarets of their hastily constructed mosques."

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198801/camels.down.under.htm

obx
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
You know why they call camels the ships of the desert? They are full of arab seamen (No, I did not mispell it Linda.)
________
Mexico hotels (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

FlaGator
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
I feel that the Aussies owe the camels some reparation cash...

Sonnabend
01-21-2010, 05:16 PM
They're pests and need to either be culled or removed.

With my marketing genius Sonnabend could be rich

Camel tastes ugly...but roast pork rib?? MMMMMmmmmmm....:D:D