PDA

View Full Version : Friday Thread : Who's running in your state?

linda22003
01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Drizzly cold Friday in the DC area.

TOTD: Are there any Scott Browns lurking in your states, ready to pull a November surprise? Who's an incumbent ready to fall off the political tree in your state, out of sheer rotten over-ripeness?
This is Virginia, we have nothing up in the Senate this year, and we were part of the "hope and change '09" vanguard last year; our GOP governor just took office last weekend.

Rebel Yell
01-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Sonny Perdue's term limit is up this year. Roy Barnes, who we ran out of office when Sonny went in, is trying to get back in. On the GOP side, we have John Oxendine. He is the insurance commisioner now, and a damn good one. I work in insurance, and see how he walks the line between the customers and the companies. I think he'll win it in a walk.

lacarnut
01-22-2010, 09:01 AM
It is a warm, sunny, lovely day in Bayou Land.

TOTD: Repub. Senator Vitter from LA is up for re-election. He is up by 18 points in the latest poll. Shame Mary Landrieu is not; she has 5 more years on her term.

linda22003
01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Vitter's the one who had the "Elliot Spitzer problem", right?

djones520
01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
TOTD: Hoekstra is running for Mich. Gov this year. Thats about all that I'm following. Not sure whose gonna replace his House seat if he gets it though. That's got me a bit concerned. His district has been growing a bit more blue the last few elections, and I'm not sure if a new no named Republican candidate will be able to take it.

Gingersnap
01-22-2010, 09:39 AM
It's cold and snowing in the high country. It looks kind of bleak for the weekend.

TOTD: Gov. Ritter has hastily decided to "spend more time with family" in the wake of several scandals so Scott McInnis is probably the guy to watch in that race. There's some infighting among the Democrats right now over who run against Bennet (an appointee). The Republicans haven't really shaken themselves out yet.

Colorado went blue or purple in 2006 but that didn't work out so well for a lot of people who depend on the oil and gas industry out here. The suburbanites are getting increasingly fed up with the two-tiered justice system we have regarding illegal aliens. If you're a citizen and street legal but you get popped for DUI or whatever, your car gets impounded and you go to jail. If you're an illegal alien, they give you a ticket and tell you to appear at a special court. Obviously, nobody ever shows up.

It will be interesting.

lacarnut
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Vitter's the one who had the "Elliot Spitzer problem", right?

Yep. I felt sorry for his wife because he dragged her up on the stage for his confession.

noonwitch
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
It's a little warmer today, and supposed to hit 40 over the weekend.

We have a governor's race in Michigan, as Granholm is term-limited out. Originally, the Lt. Gov was going to run in the dem primaries, but no one gave him any money, so he dropped out. It looks like Andy Dillon, who is speaker of the MI house, is probably going to run on the D ticket.

The GOP has a couple of candidates. Peter Hoekstra, who is on FOX news a great deal and is the congressman from the Holland area (probably the most conservative area of Michigan, along with Livingston County) is probably the best known candidate. The AG Mike Cox is also running, but his white-washed investigation into Kwame is going to haunt him, along with his whole "Geoffrey Fieger tried to blackmail me when I was cheating on my wife" scandal of a few years ago. Ted Nugent has also talked about running, but I think that unless a repub from Oakland County steps up, Hoekstra will win the primaries.

It'll be an interesting race. Andy Dillon is not part of the Granholm administration and has disagreed with the current governor on plenty of issues. Hoekstra is not from a highly populated area, and is well-known in conservative circles, but not so much in moderate areas like Oakland County.

The AG post also is up for grabs, but I haven't heard anyone from either party announce their candidacy yet. I'd like to see Kym Worthy, the woman who did take Kwame down, run on the dem side. She's been a good prosecutor in Wayne County, is well-known for having strong ethics, and could finish the job against Kwame from that office. David Gorcyca would be a good GOP candidate. He has bipartisan appeal as Oakland County prosecutor, and has had to sort out some ugly political scandals (like the aforementioned Mike Cox/Geoffrey Fieger thing).

The big Michigan race that could be is in 2014, if Carl Levin retires as Senator, as the rumors I keep hearing indicate he may be doing. That would be a free for all. If the GOP really wants to win that seat, they should start working Bill Laimbeer now and get him to run. He could win a lot of Detroiters over to the GOP. I know people from outside of Michigan remember his days as a Piston and loathe him, but he is greatly loved here. He also has a good, solid backround in business and charity, and cares deeply about what happens to both Detroit and the rest of the state. He stayed in Michigan after he retired from the NBA, even though he didn't have family ties here. He even got his dad to invest money in Michigan companies.
Think about it-the dems won't have anyone better. The Nuge scares moderates.

FlaGator
01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Overcast and a bit drizzly.

TOTD Marco Rubio

NJCardFan
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
We already had one in Chris Christie defeating the Democratic incumbent Jon Corzine for NJ guv. Haven't heard anyone running for Congress or Senate although LoBiando is most likely running again, and win again in my district.

Oh, and it's cold and cloudy.

RobJohnson
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
It's official. Las Vegas has had more rain in the past four days then all of last year.

My off air TV reception has been poor during the storms, so I am going to bite the bullet and get Dish HDTV tomorrow. I love a good deal, and found a way to buy the equipment and keep my monthly charge really low...

Our network stations are bounced over the hill via UHF and the tower is not far from my house but the reception is hit or miss on days like this. We also have two local stations that are good for watching the local news, getting the weather or catching a 20 year old movie. Those stations come in pretty clear. In Illinois we had a ton of off air HDTV stations that had enough variety I have not had to pay for calbe, dish, etc since 2006...

TOTD: Harry Reid