PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy some space stuff?

FlaGator
01-22-2010, 10:30 AM
NASA's holding an auction. Pick up a used space shuttle for a mere 28.8 million. Follow the links in the article to the NASA site and see if there is anything you like. I think one of the Mercury space suits would be cool.

Thatís the cost NASA estimates for shipping and handling on a space shuttle. The Space Shuttle Discovery has already been spoken for by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, but Atlantis and Endeavour are still available.
Not just anybody can buy them, however. NASA says because of the role the shuttles have played in the nationís space program (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html), ďspecial attention is being given to ensure the shuttle orbiters are appropriately retired and displayed in the broadest interest of the American public.Ē That means Bill Gates or Sergei Brin probably canít put one in the backyard.

The $28.8 million price tag is more than 30 percent off the original sticker price of $42 million NASA was asking in December of 2008. The space agency says it dropped the price because much of the original cost included work that is needed to decommission the shuttles even if they were only to be stored in a hangar.
NASA says the new price reflects the cost of transporting the space vehicles to their new locations and fixing them up so they are in proper display condition. More than 20 inquiries were received after the initial listing, but NASA expects others will step up now that the shuttles have been discounted. Technically, Atlantis and Endeavour are not for sale. They will remain property of NASA, but will be on permanent display at the new locations. The deadline for organizations to apply to adopt a shuttle (http://gsaxcess.gov/NASAWel.htm#) is February 19.
In addition to the orbiters, NASA is also offering up surplus main engines from the space shuttle. And, itís offering numerous other items are space-shuttle related (http://gsaxcess.gov/htm/nasa/userguide/NASA_SSPA_Pamphlet.pdf) (.pdf) to museums and educational institutions, including such items as flight-crew clothing and instruments that have been to space, as well as wind-tunnel models, mockups and simulators that never left the ground.

Read More
(http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/01/nasa-shuttle-garage-sale/)

noonwitch
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
There is probably something NASA is selling that my grandpa would enjoy picking apart in his garage/laboratory and show them how to make it better. He has followed the space program since it started, because as a Ford engineer, he was just fascinated by the idea of putting rockets into space. He even met Werner von Braun, after he sent NASA (if they were even called NASA at that point) a prototype of the ratchet wrench he invented, and they used it to tighten the bolts on the fuel tanks.

When the Challenger exploded, Grandpa called the O rings as the culprit before the investigation even started. When he worked at Ford engineering, he was the guy all the college-educated engineers brought their concepts to and asked him to figure out the mechanics. Even at 96, he still spends half his day in his garage shop, either re-upholstering furniture he fished out of the dump (which he then gives to me or my sister), or fixing household items. He doesn't do his own car repairs anymore because his doctor told him not to-not because it was too strenuous, but because he lives alone and the car could fall on him, if he were to crawl under it.

I keep trying to get him to post here, because he is a strong conservative and he is very lonely since Grandma died, but he sees the computer as an information gathering tool and for email (he can't hear on the phone really well anymore), not as something to be used to increase social interaction. But I wish he would come here, you guys would really like him.

Gingersnap
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I keep trying to get him to post here, because he is a strong conservative and he is very lonely since Grandma died, but he sees the computer as an information gathering tool and for email (he can't hear on the phone really well anymore), not as something to be used to increase social interaction. But I wish he would come here, you guys would really like him.

Maybe the next time you go over there you could create a shortcut to CU on his system. :)