PDA

View Full Version : Democratic convention brings challenges to Denver

LibraryLady
07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Democratic convention brings challenges to Denver (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-dnc28-2008jul28,0,6528243.story)

DENVER -- For nearly a decade, city leaders here have wooed the Democrats, hoping to lure their national convention to this often-overlooked town and showcase its new public transit system, bustling downtown and sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains.

Municipal leaders were jubilant when they won the right to hold this year's event. But the convention is raising questions about whether this perennial booster town has bitten off more than it can chew.

The host committee is as much as $10 million short in fundraising, and financial difficulties have forced it to cancel two dozen parties for delegates. Denver officials are scrambling to deal with the logistical challenges of Barack Obama's acceptance speech being held at an outdoor stadium instead of in the arena where the rest of the convention will take place. Even special daisies that the city bred partly to show off for the convention are failing to sprout.:D

Criticism has been so harsh that this month the host committee felt compelled to issue a news release defending its much-mocked catering guidelines, which recommend organic produce and color-coordinated meals and discourage fried food.

Elspeth
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
And just think of what could possibly happen if there is any kind of fight for the nomination on the Convention floor. Poor Denver.

Goldwater
07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
And just think of what could possibly happen if there is any kind of fight for the nomination on the Convention floor. Poor Denver.

There won't be, sorry Els, unless he self destructs somehow before the date, and he won't.

LibraryLady
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I must be politically naive but I still wonder if Zer-0 will get the nomination....

LibraryLady
07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Anarchists offer DNC deal to Denver (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/28/anarchists-offer-dnc-deal-to-denver/)
They'll go away if $50 million goes to community

A group of self-described anarchists threatening to disrupt the Democratic National Convention is promising to go away if the $50 million federal grant that Denver received to pay for convention security is invested in the community instead.

"As anarchists, we feel the greatest problem with government is how its primary interest is to protect the profits of those in power, even when it comes at the expense of the general public," Clayton Dewey, an organizer with Unconventional Denver, said in a statement.

"Spending $50 million on weaponry to attack people voicing their opinion and flooding the streets with riot police while schools close down, children go without health care and people lose their homes is exactly the problem with the corrupt two-party system we're opposing this August," he said.

Lindy Eichenbaum Lent, a senior adviser to Mayor John Hickenlooper, said the grant is needed to protect the public, including protesters.

Elspeth
07-30-2008, 11:25 AM
There won't be, sorry Els, unless he self destructs somehow before the date, and he won't.

I actually was hoping that there would be a fight, but so many of the Super Delegates are being intimidated. In then end, the party will get its "unity" but at a price.

NonConformist
07-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I look forward to the riots!

Ranger Rick
07-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I look forward to the riots too.

And frankly I don't think Hillary can be counted out just yet. She is too scheming.

Eyelids
07-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I actually was hoping that there would be a fight, but so many of the Super Delegates are being intimidated. In then end, the party will get its "unity" but at a price.

Because you know... the guy who won doesnt deserve it.