PDA

View Full Version : US considers deploying missile defense radar to Israel

megimoo
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has agreed to explore deploying a powerful missile defense targeting radar in Israel, a senior US defense official said Tuesday.

"The idea here is to help Israel create a layered missile defense capability to protect it from all sorts of threats in the region, near and far," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Gates discussed the Israeli request Monday in a meeting with Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak, the official said.

Besides the radar, Gates also agreed to explore sharing missile early warning launch data, as well as US funding for two costly Israeli projects designed to counter short-range rockets and mortars, he said.

The official said deploying the X-band radar was a near-term proposition, adding "all this is moving pretty quickly."

"We are going to station this land-based system there, and the Israelis would plug into it," said the official.

An X-band radar is a powerful phased array radar that can target the warhead of a long or medium range missile in space. The United States has deployed one in Japan and plans to install a larger X-band radar in the Czech Republic.

The official linked the assistance to the US administration's push for progress on a roadmap for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

But it appeared to be more directly related to Israel's concern about Iran's nuclear program.

"A policy that consists of keeping all options on the table must be maintained," Barak told Gates, according to the Israeli defense ministry.

http://www.africasia.com/services/news/newsitem.php?area=mideast&item=080729215749.unrski8j.php

gator
07-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Oh great, another thread about Israel.

This will end well.

:rolleyes:

NonConformist
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Im for this idea. I prefer Israelis over the rest of the scum found in the ME

gator
07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Im for this idea. I prefer Israelis over the rest of the scum found in the ME

I vote "none of the scum" in the Middle East.

NonConformist
07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I vote "none of the scum" in the Middle East.

LoL Yeah, I figured as much!

LogansPapa
07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Oh Goodie - yet another give-away-program for the Star of David. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
07-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Exactly, I don't have a problem with selling it to them, though. I'm sure it could be useful-I remember how Saddam shot those SCUD missles at Israel in the first Gulf War.

Odysseus
07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll send you a nickel to cover your share of it.

Exactly, I don't have a problem with selling it to them, though. I'm sure it could be useful-I remember how Saddam shot those SCUD missles at Israel in the first Gulf War.
The radar array will provide early warning of Iranian launches, which could threaten southern Europe as well as Israel. Once Afghanistan and Iraq are stabilized, we can do the same there and ring both Iran and Russia with missile defense systems, eventually negating their arsenals. If we do the same in Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, then China will also lose their capacity to threaten us.

LogansPapa
07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
If we do the same in Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, then China will also lose their capacity to threaten us.

:p:D:p:D

As Ray Croc once said, "Volume overcomes everything."

gator
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
China will also lose their capacity to threaten us.

You moron. You don't know a fuking thing about the military, do you? With you everything is justification for giving money to Israel, isn't it? China spends 1/10th the amount on defesnse as the United States and to put that number in perspective they only spend 15 billion a year more than France. They are not even in the same ball park as us.

The only way China can be a threat to us if we go broke with perpetual war in the Middle East to defend the Israeli bastards.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm

Odysseus
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh great, another thread about Israel.
This will end well.
Gee, maybe if you could restrain yourself and avoid getting viciously personal, it just might end well.

You moron. You don't know a fuking thing about the military, do you? With you everything is justification for giving money to Israel, isn't it? China spends 1/10th the amount on defesnse as the United States and to put that number in perspective they only spend 15 billion a year more than France. They are not even in the same ball park as us.
The only way China can be a threat to us if we go broke with perpetual war in the Middle East to defend the Israeli bastards.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm
Or not.

Obviously, nothing that I say will ever receive a fair response from you because of your insane hatred of Israel and anyone who supports it. Unfortunately, it's impossible to put an Admin on ignore, and I really have no interest in being flamed every time I post anything that you dislike (which appears to be everything), but until you have me banned for philosemitism, I do have the right to post here, and if you have problem with it, then take it up with your boss. Otherwise, get a life.

Now, if your meds have kicked in, I'll address your point. China's goal is to be the regional hegemon, not necessarily the global one. We interfere with that by supporting their regional rivals, which are necessary to our security. It's in their interest to weaken us, and they can do that several ways. First, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan are major trading partners, and their security depends on our nuclear umbrella. China's missile threat is very real within the region. A missile shield that negates China's capability to threaten our allies renders them impotent, at least in that realm, but China doesn't have to match us in capabilities to be a threat. Assymetrical warfare gives them numerous tactical opportunities to undermine us throughout the world. Selling arms to hostile states and non-state actors who will then attack our interests is the least of it (remember a few years back when they tried to sell AK-47s to Los Angeles street gangs?).
Also, keep in mind that, like the Soviets before them, China's budgets are not transparent. Many of their military expenditures are masked by their public/private partnerships. For example, their space research isn't counted as military spending, but they are developing systems whose sole purpose is to take out our satellites. This is a direct threat to our global communications capacity, and a missile shield that can destroy their anti-sat systems on the launch pad is a great longterm investment.

megimoo
07-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll send you a nickel to cover your share of it.

The radar array will provide early warning of Iranian launches, which could threaten southern Europe as well as Israel. Once Afghanistan and Iraq are stabilized, we can do the same there and ring both Iran and Russia with missile defense systems, eventually negating their arsenals. If we do the same in Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, then China will also lose their capacity to threaten us.THats another one from the tollerant one from Surf City !Boy when he starts kissing ass he sure doesn't hold back !

gator
07-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Gee, maybe if you could restrain yourself and avoid getting viciously personal, it just might end well.

Or not.

Obviously, nothing that I say will ever receive a fair response from you because of your insane hatred of Israel and anyone who supports it. Unfortunately, it's impossible to put an Admin on ignore, and I really have no interest in being flamed every time I post anything that you dislike (which appears to be everything), but until you have me banned for philosemitism, I do have the right to post here, and if you have problem with it, then take it up with your boss. Otherwise, get a life.

Now, if your meds have kicked in, I'll address your point. China's goal is to be the regional hegemon, not necessarily the global one. We interfere with that by supporting their regional rivals, which are necessary to our security. It's in their interest to weaken us, and they can do that several ways. First, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan are major trading partners, and their security depends on our nuclear umbrella. China's missile threat is very real within the region. A missile shield that negates China's capability to threaten our allies renders them impotent, at least in that realm, but China doesn't have to match us in capabilities to be a threat. Assymetrical warfare gives them numerous tactical opportunities to undermine us throughout the world. Selling arms to hostile states and non-state actors who will then attack our interests is the least of it (remember a few years back when they tried to sell AK-47s to Los Angeles street gangs?).
Also, keep in mind that, like the Soviets before them, China's budgets are not transparent. Many of their military expenditures are masked by their public/private partnerships. For example, their space research isn't counted as military spending, but they are developing systems whose sole purpose is to take out our satellites. This is a direct threat to our global communications capacity, and a missile shield that can destroy their anti-sat systems on the launch pad is a great longterm investment.

I know, I know everything is a friggin threat in the world. That is how you NeoCons operate and justify your interventionism all over the world that takes up almost a forth of our Federal budget, which is in the red in case you haven't heard.

You don’t have a clue what is going on do you?

We borrow money from the Chinese to pay for our bases in about 160 foreign locations in the world. Most of these locations have nothing to do with a threat to our security now that the Cold War is over.

We are going bankrupt to protect the world from itself just like the old Soviet Union went bankrupt trying to make the whole world Commie. The only thing is there will nobody around to bail us out like Russia.

The days of us being able to afford being the world’s policeman are over.

We can have a damn fine defense and protect our interest and protect our security if we weren’t in the business of nation building and protecting the Israeli bastards.

You goddamn NeoCons pulled us into a war with Iraq that cost us trillions and cost the lives of over 4,000 of our finest by claiming they were a threat to us but in reality they were only a threat to your precious Israel and maybe Saudi Arabia.

We let Bin Laden and the other people responsible for 911 get away in Afghanistan because we were too goddamn concerned about making sure that Israel was safe from Saddam.

I have never been able to get a fair response out of you because you have your head so far up your Israeli loving ass that you don’t have a clue what it going on in the world. You only define the security of the US in terms of what we can do for Israel.

As far as China goes you need to study your history a little bit. The last time we got into a land war with them in a far away place they pretty well kicked our ass. The largest retreat in American history occurred at the hands of the Chinese.

If we are going to go war with them it needs to be because we are threaten and not because we want to make sure the South Koreans are safe or protect the Japanese or Tiawan or whatever.

Molon Labe
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I know, I know everything is a friggin threat in the world. That is how you NeoCons operate and justify your interventionism all over the world that takes up almost a forth of our Federal budget, which is in the red in case you haven't heard.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

gator...it's the common theme these days to find a demon under every rock....must keep the machine moving you know.

LogansPapa
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
THats another one from the tollerant one from Surf City !Boy when he starts kissing ass he sure doesn't hold back !

http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/22778.jpg

And your point would be?:confused:

Odysseus
07-30-2008, 05:58 PM
You don’t have a clue what is going on do you?
We borrow money from the Chinese to pay for our bases in about 160 foreign locations in the world. Most of these locations have nothing to do with a threat to our security now that the Cold War is over.
We are going bankrupt to protect the world from itself just like the old Soviet Union went bankrupt trying to make the whole world Commie. The only thing is there will nobody around to bail us out like Russia.
The days of us being able to afford being the world’s policeman are over.
We can have a damn fine defense and protect our intrest and protect our security if we weren’t in the business of nation building and protecting the Israeli bastards.
You goddamn NeoCons pulled us into a war with Iraq that cost us trillions and cost the lives of over 4,000 of our finest by claiming they were a threat to us but in reality they were only a threat to your precious Israel and maybe Saudi Arabia.
We let Bin Laden and the other people responsible for 911 get away in Afghanistan because we were too goddamn concerned about making sure that Israel was safe from Saddam.
I have never been able to get a fair response out of you because you have your head so far up your Israeli loving ass that you don’t have a clue what it going on in the world. You only define the security of the US in terms of what we can do for Israel.
As far as China goes you need to study your history a little bit. The last time we got into a land war with them in a far away place they pretty well kicked our ass. The largest retreat in American history occurred at the hands of the Chinese.
If we are going to go war with them it needs to be because we are threaten and not because we want to make sure the South Koreans are safe or protect the Japanese or Tiawan or whatever.

We let Bin Laden and the other people responsible for 911 get away in Afghanistan because we were too goddamn concerned about making sure that Israel was safe from Saddam? I can't wait to hear you explain that one, but at least you're not claiming that 9/11 was pulled off by the Mossad.

Yeah my responses are so unfair, especially since everything in the world is our fault, and I just refuse to admit it. Us Jews (whoops, you don't have a problem with Jews, got it, I'll change that to bagel-bending, Israel-loving Neocons who are not necessarily Jewish but just happen to lack foreskins on edit) have been causing trouble with the Arabs since the Crusades, when Karl the Roundheaded suckered Richard the Lionhearted into embarking on nation building and lied about Saladin's possession of large quantities of crossbows, ballistae and other WMDs. The Knights Templar are still bitching about mission creep. :rolleyes:

As for China, in one post, they're no threat at all, in another, they're "kicked our ass." Are they a threat, or aren't they?
Let's remember that the US forces, after an embarassing debacle when TF Smith was overrun and our perimeter was pushed back to Pusan, were able to counterattack and drive the NKPA back to the Yalu, at which point Mao launched a sudden surprise attack which forced us back, following which we drove them back into North Korea. Don't forget that part. Yes, our forces were overwelmed, but look at it from China's POV: In their own backyard, in a conflict in which we declined to commit our most destructive weapons, despite their massive numerical superiority, we still fought them to a draw, and the US Army that fought in Korea was a fraction of the size of the army that was mobilized for WWII. The didn't kick our ass, we kicked theirs, with one leg kept in reserve in case we had to kick somebody else's ass. China won't engage us directly because their one advantage, population, becomes a liability in the new kinds of warfare being waged in the world.

What you don't get is that far from bankrupting us, a secure global trading environment enriches us and the cost of securing our trading partners has to be met, not least of which because they make our microchips, electronics and other critical components of our information-based economy, which is what makes it possible for us to maintain our military edge. Check the manufacturer of your computer components if you don't think that Taiwan and Japan are critical to us.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison
gator...it's the common theme these days to find a demon under every rock....must keep the machine moving you know.

But Tyranny and Oppression can also come to this land if we lose to a foreign enemy. The idea is to protect our interests, but to remember that our interests span the globe, and invest our limited resources in those systems and places where we can not only make a difference, but where not making a difference will be fatal to us. Chinese hegemony in Asia will threaten us far more than the likelyhood of an invasion of the US, but if our access to the manufacturing base of the tech that makes us the lead in just about every global area is lost, we're in trouble, and right now that base is in the Pacific Rim.

gator
07-30-2008, 06:04 PM

The US can't be the Savior of the world. There are only 300 million us (with a lot being illegals) and there are 6.3 billion other people in the world. We are going bankrupt doing it.

The Federal deficit alone this year is almost ten times the amount of the next highest defense budget in the world next to us.

Why do we need bases in Europe nowadays?

Why do we need troops in South Korea?

Why are we fighting in Iraqi?

Why have we guaranteed the security of a shit ass country like Israel?

Why do we continue to provide protection to rich countries like South Korea and Israel when their citizens spend less than half the amount of US citizens? Other countries like Japan spend even less than that.

Our Founding Fathers warned us about foreign entanglements that has nothing to do with our security.

The NeoCons (and most Liberals) in their stupidity think we are strong with having troops all over the world intervening in the affairs of other countries. What these morons don’t understand is it is causing our economy to go to hell in a hand basket and one day soon we will be like the old Soviet Union and wake up and discover we can’t afford a military anymore and then we will really be weak.

Troll
07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
You know, I'm starting to think that there are several CU-ers whose sole purpose on this board is just to type "Israel" into Yahoo News every day and post whatever news stories come back, no matter how irrelevant that news may be to American politics. You know, "Boy Trips on Rock in Israel", "Israeli Farmer Plants Tree", etc.

I think this is trolling and that those CU-ers are trolls. I think these trolls should be warned to stop flame-baiting. We don't need a new discussion thread every time someone farts in Tel Aviv.

gator
07-30-2008, 06:39 PM
You know, I'm starting to think that there are several CU-ers whose sole purpose on this board is just to type "Israel" into Yahoo News every day and post whatever news stories come back, no matter how irrelevant that news may be to American politics. You know, "Boy Trips on Rock in Israel", "Israeli Farmer Plants Tree", etc.

I think this is trolling and that those CU-ers are trolls. I think these trolls should be warned to stop flame-baiting. We don't need a new discussion thread every time someone farts in Tel Aviv.

I agree. The reason for the thread is very transparent. I played along for a little bit just for shits and giggles but that doesn't mean I'll play along in other threads or even continue with this one.

Odysseus
07-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Hmmmm... Sounds familiar:

Picador does not engage other Warriors in direct combat. Instead, he uses well placed barbs to goad his adversary into charging while skillfully avoiding the appearance of being the provocateur. He thus guides his enraged target towards certain injury or defeat at the hands of a stronger Warrior. Once the fight has been set in motion Picador will retire to a discrete distance, always ready prod his lance into sensitive areas should the action begin to flag. HINT: Alert Warriors can readily spot Picador because, though he seldom takes a stand on controversial issues, he always seems to be near the fray.
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/picador.jpg

Goldwater
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Come on Ody, you know it's true, the amount of Israel threads lately has increased by about 3 a day.

asdf2231
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Troll
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/picador.jpg

LOL! Exactly! :D

Molon Labe
07-30-2008, 09:17 PM

I remember too. I remember how ineffective the Patriot was. Oh sure it connected with it's Scud target...only problem was that the fallout destroyed more than the Scud would have. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Come on Ody, you know it's true, the amount of Israel threads lately has increased by about 3 a day.

Hey, I'm not the one who starts them. I hate the damned things because they always degenerate into flame wars.

gator
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I remember too. I remember how ineffective the Patriot was. Oh sure it connected with it's Scud target...only problem was that the fallout destroyed more than the Scud would have. :rolleyes:

PAC1 Patriots were designed to defend NATO airbases from Soviet attack aircraft. It was the most effective ground to air missiles ever made. It was never designed to shoot down incoming missiles.

With a few modifications (PAC2) the Patriots were able to shoot down slow missiles like the SCUDs. It was mostly a sofware change. The changes came about during Operation Desert Shield and were quickly deployed to the Gulf. There have been several modifcations since then.

THADDS are much more effective but were not available in 1991.

gator
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
We should spend billions to protect ourselves from the flying Chinese threat.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2sb0io1.jpg

Zathras
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
:p:D:p:D

As Ray Croc once said, "Volume overcomes everything."

Hey, it worked in WW2 vs the Germans.

LogansPapa
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey, it worked in WW2 vs the Germans.

And this will be China’s approach. A hundred thousand small rockets hitting the beaches of Taiwan and then a quarter million soldiers following them. Only our Navy and the Air Force coming from Guam will stop them.

AmPat
08-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Who knew flatulance could be harnessed so effectively?:eek:

Odysseus
08-01-2008, 10:45 AM

You laugh now, but that's just practice, and when a billion of them land at once and set off the shock wave, we'll all be waving goodbye to California. Which means goodbey to LogansPapa and 56 electoral votes that always go blue... Hmmm...

Okay, you're right. No threat there. Keep up the hopping, boys. :D

asdf2231
08-01-2008, 11:15 AM

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/smileys%20and%20fun/cats/128881.jpg

Sonnabend
08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
You laugh now, but that's just practice, and when a billion of them land at once and set off the shock wave, we'll all be waving goodbye to California. Which means goodbey to LogansPapa and 56 electoral votes that always go blue... Hmmm... HEY

You do NOT discuss VRWC secret contingency plans without seeing me first.

SHEESH..now we have to come up with a new plan, and the committee is away for the week, and my damned secretary is at home with a cold and.....right Odysseus, this time YOU do the paperwork :mad::mad::mad:

megimoo
08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
HEY

SHEESH..now we have to come up with a new plan, and the committee is away for the week, and my damned secretary is at home with a cold and.....right Odysseus, this time YOU do the paperwork :mad::mad::mad:No more posts about Israel for a while .
They all run long and The Gators blood pressure rises and everyone accuses me of
baiting the older critter. I wonder if I go back to Civil War matters if he will pop a cork ?.

LogansPapa
08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
You laugh now, but that's just practice, and when a billion of them land at once and set off the shock wave, we'll all be waving goodbye to California. Which means goodbey to LogansPapa and 56 electoral votes that always go blue... Hmmm...

Okay, you're right. No threat there. Keep up the hopping, boys. :D

Hmmm....guess you don't hold the United States Navy in high regard, eh?:rolleyes:

Odysseus
08-01-2008, 09:55 PM
HEY

SHEESH..now we have to come up with a new plan, and the committee is away for the week, and my damned secretary is at home with a cold and.....right Odysseus, this time YOU do the paperwork :mad::mad::mad:
No problemo, my fellow conspirator. If we want to regain the momentum that we had during the Reagan years, we simply have to let the pendulum swing back the other way for one term, while the American people remember what it is that they hate about Democrats. Now, if only the Democrats would nominate someone with even thinner credentials than Jimmy Carter, someone with absolutely no executive or military experience, a history of association with unsavory radicals, maybe even some bigots who could alienate the vast majority of Americans, and just to make it really a slam dunk, it would help if the guy had the physical presence of Don Knotts, plus some physical attribute that really called attention to his nerdiness, like oversized ears or something. Oh, and the media would have to be so gaga over this clown that they'd abandon even the pretense of impartiality and just fawn over the guy as if they were teenaged girls at a Beetles concert circa 1964. They'd have no credibility at all after that.

On second thought, nahhhh... They'd never do something that stupid. And could you imagine a journalist like Chris Matthews playing groupie to some political hack?

No more posts about Israel for a while .
They all run long and The Gators blood pressure rises and everyone accuses me of
baiting the older critter. I wonder if I go back to Civil War matters if he will pop a cork ?.
Okay, so taboo subjects that will set off Gator are Israel, tobacco regulation, Civil War reparations and any words consisting of consonants and/or vowels.

Hmmm....guess you don't hold the United States Navy in high regard, eh?:rolleyes:
What a question to ask an Army officer.
Besides, the navy can always pick up new bases once the Arizona coastline stabilizes.

Goldwater
08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, so taboo subjects that will set off Gator are Israel, tobacco regulation, Civil War reparations and any words consisting of consonants and/or vowels.

The tobacco one was fine, he just disagreed, steer clear of Israel though. :D

gator
08-01-2008, 10:28 PM
The tobacco one was fine, he just disagreed, steer clear of Israel though. :D

Don't forget Rosa Parks and Tim McVeigh.