PDA

View Full Version : "Licensed Duck Hunter Permanently Expelled From High School For Shotgun! "

megimoo
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Tedesco Expulsion Reversed - Guns Found in Truck

"This PC Crap Is Destroying America !"

Gary Tedesco, a Willows High student, was permanently expelled because he had two unloaded shotguns inside his locked pick up truck parked off campus. He was on a public street, but unknown to him, he was within 1000 feet of the school and this is a technical violation of the "gun free" zone. Principal Mort Geivett expelled Tedesco for this techicality and refused to consider any reasonable mitigating circumstances. This case brewed in a battle royale' between the school, the Tedesco family and the NRA who supported Gary.

Geivett did not take into consideration that Tedesco was a duck hunter and he had been duck hunting just before coming to school and this was the only reason for the unloaded shotguns in his truck and why Gary parked off campus.

Willows is a small, rural farming community where people have been legally duck hunting for many decades, it's a real common activity.

The situation began when a campus police officer was patrolling with a police dog when the dog alerted to the scent of gunpowder on Tedesco's vehicle. Tedesco was called to the scene and freely admitted he had two shotguns locked inside. He voluntarily opened the vehicle for inspection. However, he was unaware the public street he had parked on fell within the 1000 feet zone. The guns were seized and he was taken to the principals office.

But, after a full explanation, why would the principal at Willows High have imposed such a harsh penalty for an act that was otherwise completely legal and understandable given the whole circumstance? Geivett was appointed to his position after being released from his job at a Sacramento area continuation high school known for gang activity. Geivett's mindset was still in Sacramento and he could not get passed the troubles he had with firearms and thugs he dealt with at this continuation school. Arguably he should have because Willows High is nothing like his former school, but his bias was so strong it influenced his judgment. This case gained national publicity before the Glenn County Board of Education voted unanimously to overturn the expulsion.

ER editorial, "This wasn't the case of some powder keg waiting to blow. This was the case of a kid who went hunting -- lawfully -- before school.

Of the dozens of school shootings in our nation's history, we don't know of a single case where a duck hunter just snapped. The fact is, hunters are responsible firearms owners. They have to take a hunter's safety class that includes ethics and the safe use of firearms. You're a lot safer with three Willows High students in a duck blind than you are with three gang-bangers armed with pistols driving around Los Angeles. That's just the way it is. Tudesko wasn't a threat

http://www.norcalblogs.com/post_scripts/2010/01/tedesco-expulsion-reverse.html

PoliCon
01-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Tedesco Expulsion Reversed - Guns Found in Truck

"This PC Crap Is Destroying America !"

Gary Tedesco, a Willows High student, was permanently expelled because he had two unloaded shotguns inside his locked pick up truck parked off campus. He was on a public street, but unknown to him, he was within 1000 feet of the school and this is a technical violation of the "gun free" zone. Principal Mort Geivett expelled Tedesco for this techicality and refused to consider any reasonable mitigating circumstances. This case brewed in a battle royale' between the school, the Tedesco family and the NRA who supported Gary.

Geivett did not take into consideration that Tedesco was a duck hunter and he had been duck hunting just before coming to school and this was the only reason for the unloaded shotguns in his truck and why Gary parked off campus.

Willows is a small, rural farming community where people have been legally duck hunting for many decades, it's a real common activity.

The situation began when a campus police officer was patrolling with a police dog when the dog alerted to the scent of gunpowder on Tedesco's vehicle. Tedesco was called to the scene and freely admitted he had two shotguns locked inside. He voluntarily opened the vehicle for inspection. However, he was unaware the public street he had parked on fell within the 1000 feet zone. The guns were seized and he was taken to the principals office.

But, after a full explanation, why would the principal at Willows High have imposed such a harsh penalty for an act that was otherwise completely legal and understandable given the whole circumstance? Geivett was appointed to his position after being released from his job at a Sacramento area continuation high school known for gang activity. Geivett's mindset was still in Sacramento and he could not get passed the troubles he had with firearms and thugs he dealt with at this continuation school. Arguably he should have because Willows High is nothing like his former school, but his bias was so strong it influenced his judgment. This case gained national publicity before the Glenn County Board of Education voted unanimously to overturn the expulsion.

ER editorial, "This wasn't the case of some powder keg waiting to blow. This was the case of a kid who went hunting -- lawfully -- before school.

Of the dozens of school shootings in our nation's history, we don't know of a single case where a duck hunter just snapped. The fact is, hunters are responsible firearms owners. They have to take a hunter's safety class that includes ethics and the safe use of firearms. You're a lot safer with three Willows High students in a duck blind than you are with three gang-bangers armed with pistols driving around Los Angeles. That's just the way it is. Tudesko wasn't a threat

http://www.norcalblogs.com/post_scripts/2010/01/tedesco-expulsion-reverse.html

why is there no news at all on this story? The only places this is being discussed is here, FR and the quoted blog . . . . something smells fishy.

Rockntractor
01-27-2010, 01:07 AM
why is there no news at all on this story? The only places this is being discussed is here, FR and the quoted blog . . . . something smells fishy.

Just because it wasn't a news story with your beloved main stream media doesn't mean it isn't true!:rolleyes:

AlmostThere
01-27-2010, 03:15 AM
I was almost at a point of calling BS on this. Searching wasn't finding anything. I finally did a search on the principal's name, Mort Geivett. A couple links later I was at the Sacramento Bee, reading a story how the expulsion had been overturned. http://www.sacbee.com/education/story/2483630.html#mi_rss=Education

Apparently, this kid is not a Boy Scout... to say the least.

The original article had misspelled his name. It's Gary Tudesko.

ON EDIT:

One thing you have to love about the California school system,it always surprises you. I thought I couldn't possibly read anything more today about their system that made me shake my head in disbelief. WRONG!

The Golden State's Menifee Union School District has yanked all copies of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary from its shelves and is investigating the classic American text for containing "age-inappropriate" words.In the dictionary was a definition of oral sex. There is talk of legalizing pot in CA. They need to do that, RIGHT NOW. Those people have lost their ever-loving minds. If anyone ever needed to be on drugs, it is those people.

Sonnabend
01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Principal Mort Geivett said he believes he did the right thing by recommending expulsion. Having guns so close to campus in the wake of school shootings (http://topics.sacbee.com/school+shootings/) around the country raised grave safety concerns, he said.

...the fact that every single shooting was in a gun free zone doesnt seem to have registered with these fools :rolleyes:

noonwitch
01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
From a strictly legalistic view, the school was out of bounds because the car was not on school property. It was a police matter, not a school one. The kid was aware of the rules and trying to comply, and just unaware of the law about the 1000 foot school zone.

He sounds like one of those pain-in-the-butt students who doesn't know when to shut up, though.

Almost There: I remember a time in the 80s, maybe, when the American Heritage Dictionary was on the list of books that some group or another wanted to ban from high school libraries. It allegedly had entries for swear words. It was the same group that wanted to ban "Huckleberry Finn", "The Diary Of Anne Frank" and other such dangerous and controversial books.

jediab
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
What I want to know is what gives the school the right to claim 1000 feet from school property for anything let alone a gun free zone?

megimoo
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I was almost at a point of calling BS on this. Searching wasn't finding anything. I finally did a search on the principal's name, Mort Geivett. A couple links later I was at the Sacramento Bee, reading a story how the expulsion had been overturned. http://www.sacbee.com/education/story/2483630.html#mi_rss=Education

Apparently, this kid is not a Boy Scout... to say the least.

The original article had misspelled his name. It's Gary Tudesko.

ON EDIT:

One thing you have to love about the California school system,it always surprises you. I thought I couldn't possibly read anything more today about their system that made me shake my head in disbelief. WRONG!
In the dictionary was a definition of oral sex. There is talk of legalizing pot in CA. They need to do that, RIGHT NOW. Those people have lost their ever-loving minds. If anyone ever needed to be on drugs, it is those people.How did we get from duck hunters to BJ's ?Am I missing something about ducks ?

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Just because it wasn't a news story with your beloved main stream media doesn't mean it isn't true!:rolleyes:

I mean I did a search and it only shows at three places. You'd think that there would be something about it out there somewhere if it were true, right? I mean it is quite possible for the MSM to ignore it - but the NRA would have something about it on their website if they were actually involved right?

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
The original article had misspelled his name. It's Gary [B]Tudesko.

OK. That would explain why I couldn't get anything to come up.

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 12:44 PM
What I want to know is what gives the school the right to claim 1000 feet from school property for anything let alone a gun free zone?

It's part of the lefts plan to outlaw guns. They have proclaimed 1000 feet around every school to be gun-free zones.

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Apparently, this kid is not a Boy Scout... to say the least. given that the news story states that there were two dozen issues brought up I'm sure that the three they name were the worst of the bunch.

AlmostThere
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
How did we get from duck hunters to BJ's ?Am I missing something about ducks ?

Sorry, when I saw another insane decision by a CA school district on the same day I couldn't resist.:o

AlmostThere
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
given that the news story states that there were two dozen issues brought up I'm sure that the three they name were the worst of the bunch.

The thing that caught my eye was what the kid said himself.

The high school junior, who has been home schooled since he was expelled, said he is excited to return to school as soon as possible. He vowed to improve his failing grades in math, English and history and avoid further trouble.
"I need to grow up and take advantage of school," he said.He's a Junior, failing his core classes and just now decides to grow up and take advantage of school? Sounds like he's on a fast-track to a career at McDonald's. :eek:

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 01:07 PM
The thing that caught my eye was what the kid said himself.
He's a Junior, failing his core classes and just now decides to grow up and take advantage of school? Sounds like he's on a fast-track to a career at McDonald's. :eek:

it sounds to me like he's a typical public school student. When you rarely have to face consequences for your mistakes, you don't see past now. Hopefully this whole experience will be a clarion call for him and he'll get his ass in gear now . . . .

AlmostThere
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
it sounds to me like he's a typical public school student. When you rarely have to face consequences for your mistakes, you don't see past now. Hopefully this whole experience will be a clarion call for him and he'll get his ass in gear now . . . .

If the typical student in America is failing their core classes, has discipline problems and waits until their Junior year to say they're gonna get serious, we might as well turn out the lights. You realize he hasn't actually gotten serious, he's just at a point where he says he gonna get serious.

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
If the typical student in America is failing their core classes, has discipline problems and waits until their Junior year to say they're gonna get serious, we might as well turn out the lights. You realize he hasn't actually gotten serious, he's just at a point where he says he gonna get serious.

Sadly - that's a huge problem in our schools today. Parents want good grades whether or not their kids give the effort - and kids do NOT want to give the effort.