PDA

View Full Version : Bookish Wednesday.

Gingersnap
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
It's clouding up and there's snow in the forecast through tomorrow. This winter thing is getting old. I restarted my starter this morning. If I really enjoyed biochemistry, I would have majored in it. :mad:

TOTD: What is your favorite bookstore? Do you have a reader yet? Do you like it? How often do you cull through your RL books and recycle them? What's your criteria for that?

ralph wiggum
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
We may be getting another inch of snow today, like we need it. :mad:

TOTD: I'm not a huge reader, but I do collect baseball & golf books. I mostly pop into used bookstores to find good bargains, especially of older sports biographies. I'm not sure I've ever tossed a book or sent it to the neighborhood garage sale, although I probably should someday.

FeebMaster
01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
It's sunny and coldish today. I think it's supposed to snow tonight or tomorrow.

I buy books almost exclusively through Amazon because I am incredibly lazy and like having them delivered directly to me. Also, free shipping.

No reader here. I wouldn't mind reading on one, but I just like having real books.

Gingersnap
01-27-2010, 10:56 AM
It's sunny and coldish today. I think it's supposed to snow tonight or tomorrow.

I buy books almost exclusively through Amazon because I am incredibly lazy and like having them delivered directly to me. Also, free shipping.

No reader here. I wouldn't mind reading on one, but I just like having real books.

I like Amazon myself. I like the reviews (not on controversial books).

noonwitch
01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
It's cold (25) and sunny, and we got a little snow last night.

In Detroit, we basically only have the two big chains to choose from, although one of them (Borders) started out as our local bookstore. I prefer Borders to Barnes and Noble, but I really like the two independent book stores in Grand Rapids that still exist. Schuler Books is a great overall store, and Baker Books (also a publisher) is the best christian bookstore I've ever been in. They even have a really awesome used book section, and a fairly large christian music section. Baker publishes a lot of academic books that are used as textbooks in seminaries, and they carry all the titles in their store.

megimoo
01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I like Amazon myself. I like the reviews (not on controversial books).Snows almost gone.Windy and sunshine .

Most of my books are gifts from my children .I particularly enjoy techno adventure warfare stories but not too far fetched.
I've just finished Patrick Robinsons latest: Diamondhead and I am now reading Julia's 'Mastering The Art' for her classic version of onion soup which I will try.

I've just about finished reading Steven Coonts: Disciple .I enjoy going back and re reading things I've read years ago as I recall some fragment of the plot and decide to refresh my memory.

Whenever I visit someone in the hospital or nursing home after a decent interval I'll look for their used book collection and lift a few if they are of interest.
On my next visit I usually bring a few of my older books to makeup for the theft ,sort of a share swap arrangement .

Some of those old books go back to the Nineteen Forty's and the nurses usually encourage me to take as many as I can carry.I've even found an old copy of 'What Makes Sammy Run' by Phillip Roth,one of my favorites .

If we visit old friends most often when we talk of current books they will offer something they have finished and enjoyed and I'll return with a few that I've enjoyed.I dislike paying shipping charges that ofter approach half of the books costs so if I buy a new book it's most often locally at Costco's or BJ'S .

I'm about to go back over Tom Clancy's best and pickup on a few I've missed.

linda22003
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I've even found an old copy of 'What Makes Sammy Run' by Phillip Roth,one of my favorites .

How odd that Roth would use the same title as a famous novel by Budd Schulberg.

I like used bookstores; otherwise I just order online.

PoliCon
01-27-2010, 01:03 PM
It's clouding up and there's snow in the forecast through tomorrow. This winter thing is getting old. I restarted my starter this morning. If I really enjoyed biochemistry, I would have majored in it. :mad:

TOTD: What is your favorite bookstore? Do you have a reader yet? Do you like it? How often do you cull through your RL books and recycle them? What's your criteria for that?

TOTD: I have to avoid book stores :( I'm not allowed in one unsupervised. The Mrs has so decreed. But when I can convince her to go book shopping with me - I adore used book stores from half-price books to the local ones.

As for a reader - that's what the laptop is.

I have a box that any book that is not worth keeping ends up in. This box contains books that don't live up to expectations, are useless as references, or just piss me off. When the box is full I check to see if there is anything worth selling online - the rest go to the used book store to help fund my next set of purchases!

jendf
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
A little rainy here with a high in the low-60's.

TOTD: Barnes 'n' Noble is my weakness. I can get lost in there for HOURS.

I hang on to books I know I'll read again. If it's a "one and done" book, it goes in the goodwill pile right away. I don't like a lot of clutter so if it's not useful to me anymore, I send it packing.

I rarely buy books anymore because I know it will only be read once and then it will just take up valuable real estate on my book shelf.

When it comes down to it, I prefer the library.

Bubba Dawg
01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Cool and clear on the Mountain.

I buy almost all my books from Amazon including used books. I do it for price but mainly for selection.

My favorite brick and mortar bookstore is The Olde Book Shop in the St Nicholas area of Jacksonville.

There was also a store in Jax called a Book Mine which was pretty impressive but The Olde BS was and is my favorite.

Wonder if Bob is still there?