PDA

View Full Version : Shoeless running may spare feet

Gingersnap
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Shoeless running may spare feet
Going barefoot ends pounding on heel, Harvard study finds

By Carolyn Y. Johnson
Globe Staff / January 28, 2010

We were born to run, but maybe not with shoes on.

New research, led by Harvard scientists and published today, shows that people who run barefoot or with minimal shoes - as people have done for millions of years - often land on their feet in a way that avoids a jarring impact. That’s very different from most shoe-clad runners, who crash down on their heels with every bound.

“It’s as if every time you land on the ground, someone hits you on the heel with a hammer,’’ said Daniel E. Lieberman, a professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard University, who studies the biomechanics of running in the lab - and himself runs with minimal or no shoes. “It’s an amazing thing. Running barefoot can be less impactful.’’

Instead of striking heel-first, barefoot runners tend to land on the ball or middle of their foot. Researchers need to do followup studies to test whether less impact translates into fewer injuries, but the new finding may become yet another example of the way in which the luxuries of modern life are a bad fit for bodies shaped by millions of years of evolution. Humans adapted to an environment lacking desk jobs, video games, abundant processed foods, and the modern running shoe.

Several scientists not involved in the research said the findings were intriguing, but that the critical next step will be to test whether landing differently decreases injuries.

“I think the contentious part will be whether wearing shoes and changing the pattern of running . . . actually has an impact on foot injury,’’ said Brian Richmond, an anthropologist at George Washington University not involved in the research. “It’s an idea worth examining, because basically what they found is how people would run in a more natural setting.’’

Interesting. I'm not to sure that 'born to run" idea is true. Born to walk, maybe. Humans aren't really efficient runners and women are even less efficient.

Boston (http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2010/01/28/shoeless_running_may_spare_feet/)

Rockntractor
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Interesting. I'm not to sure that 'born to run" idea is true. Born to walk, maybe. Humans aren't really efficient runners and women are even less efficient.

Boston (http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2010/01/28/shoeless_running_may_spare_feet/)

To much stuff bouncing or flopping around!:D

PoliCon
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM

well that's to be expected with those counter balances and ballast you have going on . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOcjpEUqm8

Gingersnap
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
To much stuff bouncing or flopping around!:D

Ah.....no, not really. We have a much wider pelvic structure which makes the angle of the femur extremely inefficient in terms of biodynamics. It's all relative, of course. Some women are more efficient runners than others because of narrower hips.

Even the most efficient human runner is still absolutely pathetic compared most animals, though. That's why we aren't really "born to run". Horses are born to run and they look like it.

Rockntractor
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
well that's to be expected with those counter balances and ballast you have going on . . . .

A cyborg! There is nothing even remotely natural about that girl. Asians don't have large breasts, what do you have a silicone fetish or something?

PoliCon
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
A cyborg! There is nothing even remotely natural about that girl. Asians don't have large breasts, what do you have a silicone fetish or something?

Those are NOT silicone.

coach
01-28-2010, 01:42 PM
You are SUPPOSED to run on the balls of your feet and walk heel to toe.

People do it wrong ALL THE TIME which is why shoe companied started making running shoes as they are (which cushion the heel.

The shoes do not prevent you from runing correctly, just ignorance.

Rockntractor
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Ah.....no, not really. We have a much wider pelvic structure which makes the angle of the femur extremely inefficient in terms of biodynamics. It's all relative, of course. Some women are more efficient runners than others because of narrower hips.

Even the most efficient human runner is still absolutely pathetic compared most animals, though. That's why we aren't really "born to run". Horses are born to run and they look like it.

Women had to be built slower than men or early men would have never gotten laid and the species would not have survived!

Rockntractor
01-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Those are NOT silicone.

Your looking up at them. get a stool.

PoliCon
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Your looking up at them. get a stool.

Dude - I know fake ones when I see them - those are not fake - or if they are they're the best damn fakes ever made! :D

AmPat
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=PoliCon;231761]well that's to be expected with those counter balances and ballast you have going on . . . .

Udderly ridiculous!

Apache
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Women had to be built slower than men or early men would have never gotten laid and the species would not have survived!

LOL :D

coach
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM

its my understanding that they kinda like it too....

Rockntractor
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
its my understanding that they kinda like it too....

They didn't have soap back then and woman had a better sense of smell!

coach
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
They didn't have soap back then and woman had a better sense of smell!

yeah but its sort of like garlic, if everyone is eating it, it doesnt smell

PoliCon
01-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Udderly ridiculous!I think if you made a better effort to stay a breast of the issue you would realize that there is more than a little tit of truth here. :p

FlaGator
01-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Some food for thought

The newly published evidence identifies the critical variable imposing the biological limit to running speed, and offers an enticing view of how the biological limits might be pushed back beyond the nearly 28 miles per hour speeds achieved by Bolt to speeds of perhaps 35 or even 40 miles per hour.

The new paper, "The biological limits to running speed are imposed from the ground up," was authored by Peter Weyand of Southern Methodist University; Rosalind Sandell and Danille Prime, both formerly of Rice University; and Matthew Bundle of the University of Wyoming.

"The prevailing view that speed is limited by the force with which the limbs can strike the running surface is an eminently reasonable one," said Weyand, associate professor of applied physiology and biomechanics at SMU in Dallas.

"If one considers that elite sprinters can apply peak forces of 800 to 1,000 pounds with a single limb during each sprinting step, it's easy to believe that runners are probably operating at or near the force limits of their muscles and limbs," he said. "However, our new data clearly show that this is not the case. Despite how large the running forces can be, we found that the limbs are capable of applying much greater ground forces than those present during top-speed forward running."
In contrast to a force limit, what the researchers found was that the critical biological limit is imposed by time — specifically, the very brief periods of time available to apply force to the ground while sprinting.

In elite sprinters, foot-ground contact times are less than one-tenth of one second, and peak ground forces occur within less than one-twentieth of one second of the first instant of foot-ground contact.

http://www.physorg.com/news183375827.html

Gingersnap
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Behold the future of running:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2akiquq.jpg

Apache
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Behold the future of running:

:D

SaintLouieWoman
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Cheetahs and greyhounds also born to run, with sleek, aerodynamic bodies, relatively small heads, long tails for balance, larger hearts, built for bursts of speed. (SR and I went to a lecture on cheetahs at the Zoo Tuesday evening with some really cool pics).

AmPat
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
I guess the days of shoe endorsements are coming to an end.

Bubba Dawg
01-28-2010, 08:56 PM

:D

winnah! :D

stsinner
01-28-2010, 09:32 PM

I'll be in my study.

stsinner
01-28-2010, 09:34 PM
I guess the days of shoe endorsements are coming to an end.

If every street was litter and glass free, and every trail was smooth as velvet... There is no way shoe-less running will catch on.. I've read many articles on it over the past six months, or so, and although your knees and ankles seem to benefit from finding the hard ground, the soles of your feet just can't take the environment.. Hell, when cars tires get flattened from the debris in the streets, there is no way feet could hold up!

AlmostThere
01-28-2010, 11:20 PM
You are SUPPOSED to run on the balls of your feet and walk heel to toe.

People do it wrong ALL THE TIME which is why shoe companied started making running shoes as they are (which cushion the heel.

The shoes do not prevent you from runing correctly, just ignorance.

Exactly! Running may take it's toll on the body but not the feet if you know how to run. When I was a young man I ran a good bit everyday and feet were never an issue.