PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Friday

linda22003
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Cold in the DC area today, and may snow tonight.

TOTD: Dave Ramsey has a clunky tag line which says "Live like no one else, so someday you can LIVE like no one ELSE!" This means scrimp and save and pay off debt today, so someday you'll be able to live well without monetary cares.

Which side of that phrase are you on? We still have to finish paying off the house, which will take just a few more years, but other than that we are firmly in part 2 of LIVING like no one ELSE. :)

djones520
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
We're hoping our tax return gets here today, and with that we'll be freeing up 5 credit cards worth of debt. I've also got my version of a 401k growing well. Despite the economic troubles of the last couple years, it's still posting a profit, and should be doing so for the next 20-30 years. I've also got 100% of all my bonuses signed over to it.

I'm definitely in the school of paying stuff off now and saving up for later. Between my retiring with my AF pension at 37, the money growing in my TSP, and whatever career I start up after the AF, I think we'll be sitting pretty good when I do decide to retire.

linda22003
01-29-2010, 09:01 AM
By "tax return" do you mean "tax refund"? We don't even have all the paperwork in yet to take to the accountant. I hope we can drop all of that stuff off before we leave for Paris, so he can work on it while we're gone.

djones520
01-29-2010, 09:02 AM
By "tax return" do you mean "tax refund"? We don't even have all the paperwork in yet to take to the accountant. I hope we can drop all of that stuff off before we leave for Paris, so he can work on it while we're gone.

Yeah, a refund. Got my W2 last week. Making $27,000 taxable income with 2 dependants, it doesn't really require a lot of work.

linda22003
01-29-2010, 09:06 AM
That's about what my husband was making when we got married. Good thing I was able to accurately estimate what his ROI would be someday. :D

djones520
01-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Thats just taxable income. I really make something like the equivalent of $55,000 a year between housing allowances, medical care, etc...

Still a far cry from what I could be making in the civilian sector.

lacarnut
01-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Low 60's and rain in the forecast.

TOTD: I retired 5 years ago. My house is paid off and have no debt.... a great feeling.

aerojarod
01-29-2010, 09:32 AM
The January Thaw finally froze over again last night. Wind Chills in the negs.

TOTD: Bought my first home this year. Looking forward to that $8 Grand. Going to pay back the family for the small loan they gave me to help with the downpayment... Pay off my god-awful Capital One card with 23% interest. Pay down my other Card to a manageable balance... and then go buy myself a nice 46" Flat Screen TV. I'm just waiting for one more Tax Document to come in the mail before I file. w00t!

Gingersnap
01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
We'll get into the high 30s today which is better than it has been. My paperwhites are starting to bloom inside the house.

TOTD: We have a few more years on the house but no other debt. I have some infrastructure plans for the garden this year but we'll cash all that out. I like being close to debt-free and I like being thrifty. It helps a lot that I'm married to a man who has zero interest in consumer debt accumulation and who is happy to eat well prepared leftovers. We have never, ever had a heated discussion, let alone a fight, about money.

noonwitch
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Single digit temps with sunny skies. It's cold.

TOTD: I have a pension, and because I started at my job at the age of 22, I can retire and draw on my pension in 10 years. I will still have a house payment, though. I am planning to retire from this job and find something less stressful and more enjoyable, because I will be supplementing my pension at that point. I also have some banked leave time ( a pay cut resolution) I've never used that will be converted to $$ and put in a 401k for me when I retire. I also will inherit some money from my dad, but I'd rather have him around than his money. My mom will inherit a lot of money from Grandpa, but again, I'd rather have him around, especially as he's got a good chance of making it to 100 (he's going to be 97 this summer).

linda22003
01-29-2010, 10:37 AM
We'll get into the high 30s today which is better than it has been. My paperwhites are starting to bloom inside the house.

TOTD: We have a few more years on the house but no other debt. I have some infrastructure plans for the garden this year but we'll cash all that out. I like being close to debt-free and I like being thrifty. It helps a lot that I'm married to a man who has zero interest in consumer debt accumulation and who is happy to eat well prepared leftovers. We have never, ever had a heated discussion, let alone a fight, about money.

Mine eats what he's given, too, and we don't stint on the groceries; last night we had some huge baked scallops on a bed of quinoa, and he loved it. :) My fellow loves his toys, but he pays cash for them!

Gingersnap
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Mine eats what he's given, too, and we don't stint on the groceries; last night we had some huge baked scallops on a bed of quinoa, and he loved it. :) My fellow loves his toys, but he pays cash for them!

Same here. I think it's kind of funny that we eat much, much better than most people I know but we probably spend half as much.

I still think about that witless food stamp experiment from a couple of years ago where college-educated journalists and politicians just could not eat well on the government's "thrifty" food budget plan. You don't have to go on Dave's famous rice and beans diet to manage your meals in sensible and delicious manner.

hampshirebrit
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Bloody snowing again today. Brrrrr!!!

TOTD. I have another 3 to 4 years left to go on the house. I started an aggressive accelerated repayment program a couple of years ago on what was already a small mortgage (probably not more than 20pc of the current value of the house), and it's working pretty well for me. I have no other debts. I treat my credit card like a debit card, and pay it off in total each month.

linda22003
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I still think about that witless food stamp experiment from a couple of years ago where college-educated journalists and politicians just could not eat well on the government's "thrifty" food budget plan. You don't have to go on Dave's famous rice and beans diet to manage your meals in sensible and delicious manner.

But you do have to cook, sometimes from scratch. That lets a lot of people out.

jendf
01-29-2010, 01:38 PM
The January Thaw finally froze over again last night. Wind Chills in the negs.

TOTD: Bought my first home this year. Looking forward to that $8 Grand. Going to pay back the family for the small loan they gave me to help with the downpayment... Pay off my god-awful Capital One card with 23% interest. Pay down my other Card to a manageable balance... and then go buy myself a nice 46" Flat Screen TV. I'm just waiting for one more Tax Document to come in the mail before I file. w00t!

Your situation is nearly identical to mine. I, too, am waiting for the $8,000 home buyer's tax credit. It's supposed to be deposited any day now. I'll use that money to pay off a down payment loan from folks and pay off two of my three credit cards.

Once I do that, it shouldn't take me long at all to knock out the last credit card balance. Then, with the exception of my mortage, I'm debt free!

Right about that time, I expect my car to crap out so I'll take on new debt again. Such is life. :D

RobJohnson
01-29-2010, 01:51 PM
We have never, ever had a heated discussion, let alone a fight, about money.

That is good, very good!

aerojarod
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Your situation is nearly identical to mine. I, too, am waiting for the $8,000 home buyer's tax credit. It's supposed to be deposited any day now. I'll use that money to pay off a down payment loan from folks and pay off two of my three credit cards.

Once I do that, it shouldn't take me long at all to knock out the last credit card balance. Then, with the exception of my mortage, I'm debt free!

Right about that time, I expect my car to crap out so I'll take on new debt again. Such is life. :D

Wow, very similar situations, yes..!

My car is just about paid off, too... It's a 2000 Corolla with close to 185K on it, but I'm hoping to get another year out of it at least. I should have enough saved for a downpaypment on a new vehicle by then.

Without the credit card payments and the car payment, I should have some nice cash to start putting away again. Need to remodel a bathroom and I'd like to put in a pellet stove before next winter.

linda22003
01-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow, very similar situations, yes..!

My car is just about paid off, too... It's a 2000 Corolla with close to 185K on it, but I'm hoping to get another year out of it at least. I should have enough saved for a downpaypment on a new vehicle by then.

Without the credit card payments and the car payment, I should have some nice cash to start putting away again. Need to remodel a bathroom and I'd like to put in a pellet stove before next winter.

Hope the accelerator's okay. ;)

I didn't save for a down payment; I saved for a car, which I purchased outright. Now that I have mine, we've started the savings account for my husband's replacement vehicle. Since he doesn't know what he wants yet, we have plenty of time.

Rockntractor
01-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Bloody snowing again today. Brrrrr!!!

TOTD. I have another 3 to 4 years left to go on the house. I started an aggressive accelerated repayment program a couple of years ago on what was already a small mortgage (probably not more than 20pc of the current value of the house), and it's working pretty well for me. I have no other debts. I treat my credit card like a debit card, and pay it off in total each month.
I've got snow up to me bum!:D

hampshirebrit
01-30-2010, 01:26 AM

How's that ice storm comin' on? We had a harsh winter this year, but nothing to what you guys are going through.

Keep that genny power sharp, guy.

Rockntractor
01-30-2010, 01:55 AM
How's that ice storm comin' on? We had a harsh winter this year, but nothing to what you guys are going through.

Keep that genny power sharp, guy.
The precip finally quit. We have 1 inch of ice on everything topped with 5 inches of snow. There is no thaw in sight for at least a week and we are hoping the wind stays low so the trees and power lines don't break.

hampshirebrit
01-30-2010, 02:09 AM
The precip finally quit. We have 1 inch of ice on everything topped with 5 inches of snow. There is no thaw in sight for at least a week and we are hoping the wind stays low so the trees and power lines don't break.

Send some pics if you can. That ice-on-the-tree one was good.

Stay safe, Rockn, you and yours.

Bubba Dawg
01-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Poli's in Oklahoma?