PDA

View Full Version : Ehud Olmert to step down as Israeli PM

bijou
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
In a surprise press conference, Mr Olmert said he could not adequately defend himself against an ongoing police investigation, and therefore would not contest his Kadima party's leadership race on Sept 17. He pledged to resign once a new leader was selected.

"The prime minister does not stand above the law but also is not below the law," he said, referring to media leaks of private testimony which have virtually convicted him in the public eye, though charges have yet to be laid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2475909/Ehud-Olmert-to-step-down-as-Israeli-PM.html

mourningdove
07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Mr Olmert said he could not adequately defend himself against an ongoing police investigation

you reckon thats a fancified way of saying "I haven't figured a way out of this shit yet"?

Goldwater
07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
you reckon thats a fancified way of saying "I haven't figured a way out of this shit yet"?

No thats his way of saying, "Soon they'll find the evidence they'll need so I'll announce now."

AmPat
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Hmmmmm!!!!!!!

Iranian Nuclear developments.
Iranian aggression against Israel.
Israel pronouncements regarding Iranian nuclear program.
X-band radar detectors shipped to Israel.
Anti-rocket defense sent to Israel.
Olmert stepping down.

Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmmm!:cool:

Odysseus
07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
No thats his way of saying, "Soon they'll find the evidence they'll need so I'll announce now."

More like, "Okay, you got me. Can I use the bathroom before you lead me out of the building?"

Now, for those who argue that Israel is no different, or worse, than the surrounding states, what other Middle Eastern country could remove its head of state because of malfeasance without a coup?