PDA

View Full Version : Whats the weirdest thing you've seen someone do on the internet?

djones520
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
The interwebs, a place that allows the meek act like tough guys, and DUmmies act smart. We all know that weird shit happens on the internet. People do strange things, sometimes to be funny, sometimes to hurt. So whats the "weirdest" thing you've seen someone do?

Mine was a number of years back when I was a moderator on the Military.com discussion forums. I had to lock a thread for some reason, don't remember the particulars, but the thread originator really didn't take kindly to it. He seemed to think it was some huge elaborate plot I was putting into place to "censor his freedom of speech". The thought was laughable, but he was convinced of it.

Anyways, after raising a HUGE stink about it, he just dissapeared. No one had heard word of him for days. Then all of a sudden a post is made with his account. His daughter logged on, telling us that he had a heart attack and died. The reason behind it? He was so angry at me, it consumed his every waking moment, and caused so much stress his heart basically gave out. Some were skeptical and even called her to verify the whole story. After a few people had talked to her, it seemed like it had actually happened.

So in a nutshell, I killed him.

Well, I didn't know what to think of it. I thought the idea absolutely absurd, how could anyone let such a simple thing as a single locked thread kill them? It really started to get to me as the days went by. Hell, no matter how absurd the idea might have sounded, a man was still dead, and I was the one who set the wheels in motion.

But, it turns out he wasn't dead. The guy had faked his own death to try to screw with my head. The sick bastard actually somehow talked his daughter into going along with this, but I guess eventually gave in and told someone the truth about the whole matter. I was beyond pissed. How sick in the head would you have to be to do something like that? I left Mil.com not to long after that, so I'm not sure if anything else ever came from the whole thing.

The guy supposedly died again a couple of years ago, he was pretty old. I don't know if anyone found out if it was the truth or not, but either way it doesn't affect me this time.

So anyone else got crazy stories like that?

megimoo
01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
The interwebs, a place that allows the meek act like tough guys, and DUmmies act smart. We all know that weird shit happens on the internet. People do strange things, sometimes to be funny, sometimes to hurt. So whats the "weirdest" thing you've seen someone do?

Mine was a number of years back when I was a moderator on the Military.com discussion forums. I had to lock a thread for some reason, don't remember the particulars, but the thread originator really didn't take kindly to it. He seemed to think it was some huge elaborate plot I was putting into place to "censor his freedom of speech". The thought was laughable, but he was convinced of it.

Anyways, after raising a HUGE stink about it, he just dissapeared. No one had heard word of him for days. Then all of a sudden a post is made with his account. His daughter logged on, telling us that he had a heart attack and died. The reason behind it? He was so angry at me, it consumed his every waking moment, and caused so much stress his heart basically gave out. Some were skeptical and even called her to verify the whole story. After a few people had talked to her, it seemed like it had actually happened.

Well, I didn't know what to think of it. I thought the idea absolutely absurd, how could anyone let such a simple thing as a single locked thread kill them? It really started to get to me as the days went by. Hell, no matter how absurd the idea might have sounded, a man was still dead, and I was the one who set the wheels in motion.

But, it turns out he wasn't dead. The guy had faked his own death to try to screw with my head. The sick bastard actually somehow talked his daughter into going along with this, but I guess eventually gave in and told someone the truth about the whole matter. I was beyond pissed. How sick in the head would you have to be to do something like that? I left Mil.com not to long after that, so I'm not sure if anything else ever came from the whole thing.

The guy supposedly died again a couple of years ago, he was pretty old. I don't know if anyone found out if it was the truth or not, but either way it doesn't affect me this time.

So anyone else got crazy stories like that?So you have a history of it !

Gingersnap
01-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm very, very careful about my Internet presence so I don't have any personal horror stories. The worst thing I've seen is the destruction of marriages because of Internet hook-ups. :(

megimoo
01-30-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm very, very careful about my Internet presence so I don't have any personal horror stories. The worst thing I've seen is the destruction of marriages because of Internet hook-ups. :(
Who knows.People on the net are the same cross section of Society that fit into Suicide,High Risk Rage or Mental Breakdowns.

There have been cases of people tracing an antagonist on the web and traveling across the country to attack them with weapons or in one case even burning their homes to the ground.

There is software available that allows one to trace an adversary to a given ISP,Town,Street Address and even what floor in an apartment building they live in and with Google earth one can even do an overhead survey of the home on line!

'So Be Very Careful with me',LOL !

djones520
01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Who knows.People on the net are the same cross section of Society that fit into Suicide,High Risk Rage or Mental Breakdowns.

There have been cases of people tracing an antagonist on the web and traveling across the country to attack them with weapons or in one case even burning their homes to the ground.

There is software available that allows one to trace an adversary to a given ISP,Town,Street Address and even what floor in an apartment building they live in and with Google earth one can even do an overhead survey of the home on line!

'So Be Very Careful with me',LOL !

Ask BC to show you what your house looks like one day.

megimoo
01-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Ask BC to show you what your house looks like one day.I've a nice view of yours !

djones520
01-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Those are sad. I've heard of that happening here a couple times in the past.

PoliCon
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I've had someone from an internet forum show up at my door. Needless to say I don't give out any identifiable information any more.

megimoo
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
I've had someone from an internet forum show up at my door. Needless to say I don't give out any identifiable information any more.Did ya whup em ?

PoliCon
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Did ya whup em ?

I wasn't home. The wife was terrified - called the cops - he was belligerent got taken off in handcuffs and we have a restraining order on him. If he comes within 50 feet he goes to jail - **IF** I don't kill him first.

djones520
01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I wasn't home. The wife was terrified - called the cops - he was belligerent got taken off in handcuffs and we have a restraining order on him. If he comes within 50 feet he goes to jail - **IF** I don't kill him first.

So whats his CU name? :p

Rockntractor
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Did ya whup em ?

His ankles are still smarting!

PoliCon
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
So whats his CU name? :p

It was someone from CF not CU.

Rockntractor
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
It was someone from CF not CU.

Compact Flash?:confused:

djones520
01-30-2010, 01:56 PM

I'm guessing ConservativesForum.com

megimoo
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
His ankles are still smarting!He licked em ?

Gingersnap
01-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Those are sad. I've heard of that happening here a couple times in the past.

Those are the ones I was thinking about. :(

PoliCon
01-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Christian forums.

PoliCon
01-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing ConservativesForum.com

Nope. you guessed wrong. :p

BSR
01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Ginger is constantly throwing her e-panties at me.. its getting out of control and I need legal help to file a restraining order.

BSR
01-30-2010, 06:48 PM

ahhh yes. the RNG-Freeper fiasco. Its a shame because there is a beautiful little girl involved in that mess.

Sonnabend
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Weirdest I ever knew was on a games forum...back in the day when whiny leftie libbers didn't infest the place.they did later...oh you'd have loved THAT lot, there was an eternal loser whose sole concern was herself...I called her Little Miss Selfish....it fit... and a vicious little troll who claimed to be a famous rock star..living in New Zealand. :rolleyes:

Nice threads like "God Fuck America"..oh they were such little charmers....:rolleyes:..the entire forum was one great big Hate America site.

They chased away their members, destroyed one of the best abandonware teams ever created, created a newbie hostile forum, had another little charmer who said he was a gay unemployed lawyer in Canada...and years later the same little fucker tries to add himself to my Facebook network (and one look at his profile tells me he had lied through his teeth)..I was there for years. Oh the stories I could tell about that sick little lot.

One uneducated moron who kept telling me I was "appealing to authority"...the little fuckwit had never heard of networking comes to mind. Probably a burger flipper these days.

Anyway, in short a member's acct was either hijacked or her identity stolen, and a website put up advertising her death. A year or so later, I did some detective work and got to the truth.

That one was ugly as hell...apparently another forum member had actually met her and fallen in love with her...or that's how the story went..it got....complicated.

Place is gone now and good riddance.

JB
01-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Boink a cantalope.

Articulate_Ape
03-29-2011, 08:41 PM
It's a new dawn. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzwm7t9Xs_o

malloc
03-29-2011, 09:18 PM

I can't imagine any software that would allow someone to trace an IP to the real address of a home user outside of T.V. You can find the ISP a given subnet is allocated to, but finding an address tied to it would require someone inside the ISP who can access client account information, a court order to force the ISP to hand over the info, or planting a trojan of some sort. ISPs probably don't even link the IP address to billing information for residential customers, because the IPs assigned to these customers are dynamic and change constantly. A MAC address is probably what is linked to the account, and those are unroutable, so you wouldn't be able to see that from the far side of an IP connection. Each ISP probably uses it's own billing software and processes, so each ISP has very dissimilar systems for holding and accessing such information which would make automation very difficult.

There are a few ways I could think of to get a physical address of a person just using an IP address, but none of them are easy or automated. For instance one could use an OS flaw to inject a virus or trojan, have that virus report back the MAC address, then try to get the client information for that MAC from the ISP, however it would probably be easier to have the virus send you back all the MS Word documents it finds on the remote machine as there is likely a letterhead or address on a saved resume or something useful like that.

Things like google lattitude, four square and other social networking toys combined with GPS enabled phones make it much easier to find someone, provided they used those kinds of things.

fettpett
03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I can't imagine any software that would allow someone to trace an IP to the real address of a home user outside of T.V. You can find the ISP a given subnet is allocated to, but finding an address tied to it would require someone inside the ISP who can access client account information, a court order to force the ISP to hand over the info, or planting a trojan of some sort. ISPs probably don't even link the IP address to billing information for residential customers, because the IPs assigned to these customers are dynamic and change constantly. A MAC address is probably what is linked to the account, and those are unroutable, so you wouldn't be able to see that from the far side of an IP connection. Each ISP probably uses it's own billing software and processes, so each ISP has very dissimilar systems for holding and accessing such information which would make automation very difficult.

There are a few ways I could think of to get a physical address of a person just using an IP address, but none of them are easy or automated. For instance one could use an OS flaw to inject a virus or trojan, have that virus report back the MAC address, then try to get the client information for that MAC from the ISP, however it would probably be easier to have the virus send you back all the MS Word documents it finds on the remote machine as there is likely a letterhead or address on a saved resume or something useful like that.

Things like google lattitude, four square and other social networking toys combined with GPS enabled phones make it much easier to find someone, provided they used those kinds of things.

must be how the figured out who and where the guy from Blizzard lived last July when they announced the changes to Real ID

megimoo
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
It's a new dawn. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzwm7t9Xs_oHe looks more like a Queer Rhino ?

Articulate_Ape
03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
He looks more like a Queer Rhino ?

I will respectfully not inquire as to how you were able to make that comparison with such a tone of authority. :p

megimoo
03-30-2011, 12:19 AM
I will respectfully not inquire as to how you were able to make that comparison with such a tone of authority. :pWell first of all his horn is in the wrong place for a Unicorn,it should be higher on it's head well above the eyes .Secondly it prances around like a swishy San Francisco Ballet dancer in skin tight white leotards .All things considered a queer Rhino !

Novaheart
03-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I won't link to it, but until the other day I was unaware that an auto-sexual command often directed in anger at men is physically possible for some individuals.

RobJohnson
03-30-2011, 05:59 AM

There is no way anyone can top this story. Holy cow. :eek::eek:

Constitutionally Speaking
03-30-2011, 07:28 AM

I once had a guy who I thought was a good Joe, say he was sending me some venison - I never got it. :o

djones520
03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
I once had a guy who I thought was a good Joe, say he was sending me some venison - I never got it. :o

Heheheheh. What a dirt bag that guy is. ;)

Zafod
03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
after reading this thread I kinda miss BSR.....kinda.

Articulate_Ape
03-30-2011, 04:33 PM
And now for something completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwzBuN7jfjw

WTF?

Wei Wu Wei
03-30-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm not sure what's funnier, someone dying after getting mad at an internet post or someone doing something so elaborate to screw with someone after an internet post

Wei Wu Wei
03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
I've had enough weird things happen to me (people doing elaborate things to get my info, receiving some odd things in the mail, some trolls trying to mess with my facebook page) but nothing harmful or overtly threatening. However I've known people who've been seriously harassed from the internet. It makes me careful to not give out any personal information because I know some people just don't know limits.

fettpett
03-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I've had enough weird things happen to me (people doing elaborate things to get my info, receiving some odd things in the mail, some trolls trying to mess with my facebook page) but nothing harmful or overtly threatening. However I've known people who've been seriously harassed from the internet. It makes me careful to not give out any personal information because I know some people just don't know limits.

that explains why you wont tell us what you teach....not that it would matter

Zafod
03-30-2011, 06:13 PM
that explains why you wont tell us what you teach....not that it would matter

he doesnt teach. That one is a lie among many others from the little tool

Articulate_Ape
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Can you say "dumbass"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpAvycIQwnY

Articulate_Ape
04-04-2011, 04:43 PM
OMG, it gets worse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIjMeeY-z3I

And there's MORE! (http://www.youtube.com/user/HumanimalAlex#p/u/35/aIjMeeY-z3I) :eek:

WTF?