PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Speed Weeks

Bubba Dawg
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm watching the 24 Hours of Daytona race. It's 24 hours long, an endurance race, so no I don't watch it all. They should finish this afternoon.

I'm not really a NASCAR fan but I'll watch the races at Daytona in all series for the next two weeks. I worked in Daytona for a couple of years so it has a special interest for me.

Anybody else waatchin'?

lacarnut
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
It is not on my TV. I had a chance to go to the Daytona 500 while in college. A friend had tickets, a place to stay with his folks, and along came the Oil embargo and the race was canceled. Another good reason to be pissed off at the peanut farmer.

Space Gravy
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but I'll pop in and watch part of a race every now again. I took the Daytona USA museum and the track tour before. It was pretty cool. It's pretty surprising how narrow the track is and how high the turn banking is. I don't think you could start at the bottom of the track and walk up the track in a turn and touch the retaining wall.

lacarnut
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
A couple of years ago I drove my 350Z at the Texas World Speedway Driving School. Damn that was fun.

Bubba Dawg
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but I'll pop in and watch part of a race every now again. I took the Daytona USA museum and the track tour before. It was pretty cool. It's pretty surprising how narrow the track is and how high the turn banking is. I don't think you could start at the bottom of the track and walk up the track in a turn and touch the retaining wall.

I went to two NASCAR races in the 70's, both at Talladega. The banking is pretty steep there. Way before the race started we saw a service vehicle try to take the banking without having adequate speed to stick in the banking. He rolled over. Didn't look like anyone was hurt but it illustrates the steepness of the banking.

Bubba Dawg
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
A couple of years ago I drove my 350Z at the Texas World Speedway Driving School. Damn that was fun.

Wow. That's cool. Didn't know you could do that.

lacarnut
01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow. That's cool. Didn't know you could do that.

I drove my Mr2 Turbo at little Talladega. Our club rented the track for the whole day. Only had about 8 cars show up. I burnt up almost a tank of gas and about 100 bucks worth of rubber on 2 spin outs.

Google The Drivers Edge at Texas World Speedway. You can drive any kind of car. It is a driving school not a race school which traverses onto to front straightaway and then thru the infield road course. It cost about 300 bucks for 2 days which is cheap. Other driving schools charge more than that for a half a day.

Bubba Dawg
01-31-2010, 05:29 PM
I drove my Mr2 Turbo at little Talladega. Our club rented the track for the whole day. Only had about 8 cars show up. I burnt up almost a tank of gas and about 100 bucks worth of rubber on 2 spin outs.

Google The Drivers Edge at Texas World Speedway. You can drive any kind of car. It is a driving school not a race school which traverses onto to front straightaway and then thru the infield road course. It cost about 300 bucks for 2 days which is cheap. Other driving schools charge more than that for a half a day.

Neat.

hampshirebrit
01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Action Express Racing Porsche Wins !!!!

Bubba Dawg
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Action Express Racing Porsche Wins !!!!

Amazing what Porsche can do with 4 cylinder engines.

Crapouillot
01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Amazing what Porsche can do with 4 cylinder engines.

They are actually built in France. The factory is near my home.

And they actually have six cylinder engines. It's just that, usually only for of them are working at any given time.

hampshirebrit
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
They are actually built in France. The factory is near my home.

And they actually have six cylinder engines. It's just that, usually only for of them are working at any given time.

LOL!! At least some of you lot finally managed to build a car and have it win something before you set fire to it. :D

Crapouillot
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
LOL!! At least some of you lot finally managed to build a car and have it win something before you set fire to it. :D

Exuberant Youth. Who can control them?

Last week they tried to burn my bicycle. They spent hours trying to find the gas cap. :rolleyes: