PDA

View Full Version : US raises stakes on Iran by sending in ships and missiles

Rockntractor
02-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Pentagon says Patriot shield will deter strike on American allies in the Gulf
Tension between the US and Iran heightened dramatically today with the disclosure that Barack Obama is deploying a missile shield to protect American allies in the Gulf from attack by Tehran.

The US is dispatching Patriot defensive missiles to four countries – Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Kuwait – and keeping two ships in the Gulf capable of shooting down Iranian missiles. Washington is also helping Saudi Arabia develop a force to protect its oil installations.

American officials said the move is aimed at deterring an attack by Iran and reassuring Gulf states fearful that Tehran might react to sanctions by striking at US allies in the region. Washington is also seeking to discourage Israel from a strike against Iran by demonstrating that the US is prepared to contain any threat.
Mo>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/31/iran-nuclear-us-missiles-gulf

Bleda
02-01-2010, 01:12 AM
So when's the war coming? I've been hearing these reports that "hint" at an incoming war with Iran for years now.

Rockntractor
02-01-2010, 01:16 AM
So when's the war coming? I've been hearing these reports that "hint" at an incoming war with Iran for years now.
I would be utterly amazed if Obama went to war with Iran. If they attacked us I think he would apologize and surrender. This story surprised me, that is why I posted it.

AlmostThere
02-01-2010, 02:23 AM
The Iranian news agency said an upcoming dramatic announcement on Iran's nuclear "rights" would be made on February 11. The report was accompanied by a series of announcements heralding alleged Iranian technological and medical breakthroughs, including an "AIDS cure."Maybe it's just coincidental that we beef up a little bit right before they announce they are a nuclear power. I believe them on the aids cure. If you have aids, you're either gay, a drug user or a fornicator, all punishable by death. Your aids is cured, bada bing, bada boom.

I sure hope this business with Iran having nuclear weapons wraps up quickly. We need to get back to the health care debate ASAP. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
02-01-2010, 03:30 AM
I would be utterly amazed if Obama went to war with Iran. If they attacked us I think he would apologize and surrender. This story surprised me, that is why I posted it.

Poor Robert Gates, Sect. of Defense, having to explain the appeaser-in-chief's policies.

If Iran announces they have the bomb, I believe Israel will attack them. The coward in the WH will probably sit on his hands.:mad: Hope I am wrong though.

PoliCon
02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
If Iran has the bomb - we all need to attack them. The pig fuckers that lead that counrty are batshit crazy and would use it to bring about the second coming of the 12th Imam and the end of the world.

Bleda
02-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't think anyone would attack a nuclear power. Iran could easily slip a bomb to their proxies Hezbollah and Hamas. If we don't attack them before they acquire a nuke, we never will.

lacarnut
02-01-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't think anyone would attack a nuclear power. Iran could easily slip a bomb to their proxies Hezbollah and Hamas. If we don't attack them before they acquire a nuke, we never will.

If they have it but not the means to deliver it, this would be the time to attack them.

Bleda
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
The means to deliver it being a nuclear-capable missile?

Doesn't matter, anyway. They only need the bomb, and they can give it to Hezbollah or Hamas who would sneak it into Israel or some other country.

Talismen
02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
He won't...he'll posture, and threaten, and get more sanctions...But, the military (in his mind) is for aid trips to haiti, and other such things.

He's a man-child, playing with (what he belives are) toy soldiers.

noonwitch
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM

We're not going to have to attack Iran. All we'll have to do is back Israel when they attack Iran.

Apache
02-01-2010, 03:34 PM

10 to 1, 0 doesn't even realize he signed that off...:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-01-2010, 03:48 PM
10 to 1, 0 doesn't even realize he signed that off...:rolleyes:

It's just so not O!:D

Apache
02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
It's just so not O!:D

With his deep and biding love for all things military, I don't think 0 even knows what 75% of our armed services do....

BTW Rock, there's a difference between O and 0....

1) Oh
2) zero

I use the latter when refering to the president....:eek::p

Rockntractor
02-01-2010, 04:03 PM
With his deep and biding love for all things military, I don't think 0 even knows what 75% of our armed services do....

BTW Rock, there's a difference between O and 0....

1) Oh
2) zero

I use the latter when refering to the president....:eek::p

I was using O as in Obama but I think I like zero better!:D

Apache
02-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I was using O as in Obama but I think I like zero better!:D

So do I :cool:

Bleda
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
We're not going to have to attack Iran. All we'll have to do is back Israel when they attack Iran.

I don't think Israel will attack Iran if they acquire nukes. Maybe they will very quickly, but if months pass after Iran acquiring a nuke, Israel would be crazy to attack.

AlmostThere
02-02-2010, 04:17 AM
This thing with Iran might actually be a very good thing, seriously. I read a couple posts back where he was referred to as a man-child playing with toy soldiers. I think that is quite an accurate description. If we are lucky this might be a clarifying moment for the American people and serious Democrats. This is a serious situation and perhaps it will expose him for what he is. Either that or being what he is, he may get us into a war we definitely don't want to fight. My fingers are crossed.

Ya know, Bush couldn't have stopped Iran, Zero isn't going to do it and the world isn't going to let Israel do it. Iran has an ACE in the hole and I don't think we can beat their hand. It's called the Strait of Hormuz. Maybe if we were willing to use all the reserves in the Salt Domes and be willing to turn Iran into a parking lot before the reserves ran out, blah,blah,blah. Like that's gonna happen?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Strait_of_Hormuz.jpg

Bleda
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
The Fifth Fleet is in Bahrain. I'm sure they can take care of Strait of Hormuz.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aZ5V4GuTsk5g&refer=home

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/strait-of-hormuz-wont-close-american-fleet-says/81011/

AlmostThere
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
What do we do if Iran announces that any oil being transported through the Strait is fair game to be attacked because it will eventually wind up in American and Israeli cars and tanks?

A couple years ago Iran said that if Israel attacked them, they'd shut down the Strait, basically eliminating about a third of the world's oil supply. We had the 5th in Bahrain then too and we said that shutting down the Strait would be an act of war. Fortunately, we then had a president who could make a difficult decision reasonably quickly in contrast to what we now have. To make my point, Gen McChrystal told zero he needed 40,000 more troops or we could well lose a war we are currently fighting. How many months did McChrystal have to wait for a decision and then be told he'd get fewer than he asked for?

I'll tell you what we got when we elected zero. We got someone who came to Washington with a set agenda on transforming America internally. But if there is a situation that arises that requires a difficult decision on his part, the best we are going to get is him voting PRESENT. And our enemies know it.

noonwitch
02-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't think Israel will attack Iran if they acquire nukes. Maybe they will very quickly, but if months pass after Iran acquiring a nuke, Israel would be crazy to attack.

Not if they know exactly where the nuke is located-their spies are good. They were able to take out Saddam's nuclear plant in 1984.

Bleda
02-03-2010, 03:43 AM
But that was one plant. Iran has many, scattered all around Iran. And those are just the ones we know of.