PDA

View Full Version : Mike Martz hired as Bears' offensive coordinator

ralph wiggum
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
The search is over.

Twenty-seven days after the Bears set out to find a new offensive coordinator, they have hired a man who was one of the most logical choices from the start, passing wizard Mike Martz.

Martz will be charged with turning around the Bears' dismal offense and doing it quickly with quarterback Jay Cutler, someone he was pining to work with even during last season.

Martz becomes the third offensive coordinator during the Lovie Smith era and potentially the last if the coaching staff doesn't turn things around. That's what the press conference the team held Jan. 5 insinuated. Team president Ted Phillips has demanded an immediate turnaround after three straight seasons without a trip to the playoffs.

Martz hired Smith as the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams in 2001 when he was still directing one of the most potent offenses in the history of the NFL, the Greatest Show on Turf. Since, Martz has served as the offensive coordinator in Detroit, coaxing a 4,000-yard season out of Jon Kitna, and in San Francisco before being let go after the 2008 season.

LINK (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/mike-martz-hired-as-bears-offensive-coordinator.html)

I wonder if the Bears will finally have an offense now. Probably not. :D

Rebel Yell
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
How'd that work out for the Lions?

NJCardFan
02-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Martz hasn't been relevant since he cut Kurt Warner. He never had a winning season after Warner's departure. And as a Cardinal fan I thank him for that.

fettpett
02-02-2010, 07:39 PM
the Bears are on the downward spiral, Cutler has NO one to throw the ball to, they don't have any a pick till either round 3 or 4, regarless of how you feel about Cutler, the Bears screwed themselves in that trade, and then trading for Gains Adams (even before his untimely death)

that said, i'm a Packer fan and i say, KEEP IT UP!! :D

SaintLouieWoman
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Martz hasn't been relevant since he cut Kurt Warner. He never had a winning season after Warner's departure. And as a Cardinal fan I thank him for that.

Martz was good as an offensive coordinator with the Rams, but he was a terrible coach. Everyone hated him, and he was ineffective. Of course, the Rams are absolutely the worst right now, so guess having Martz back wouldn't hurt much. Hope he's better for Chicago.