PDA

View Full Version : Bear with Jar on It's head shot in Busy Town in Northern Minnesota

megimoo
07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
The wanderings of a black bear for six days with a plastic food jar covering its head came to a deadly end in northern Minnesota, when authorities killed the hungry and thirsty animal in a town bustling with visitors.The bear, a male about 2 years old, was shot by police in Frazee on Saturday night as the town was celebrating Turkey Days.

"With all the people around ... you're never sure what the outcome is going to be," Rob Naplin, a wildlife supervisor for the state Department of Natural Resources in Park Rapids, said today.

Naplin said efforts were made to trap the bear as it moved from spots in or near Itasca State Park. At one point, the DNR was equipped to tranquilize the animal, "but we never had the opportunity. ... because it stayed in forested areas" for nearly all of the time since it was first spotted July 21 until it met its fate in Frazee, he said.

Naplin said the bear "was in pretty tough condition after not being able to eat or drink for several days" with the 2.5-gallon plastic jar over its head. He said the jar is the type that holds candy or popcorn and can be bought at large discount stores.

http://www.startribune.com/local/26095434.html?location_refer=Homepage:highlightMod ules:3

Goldwater
07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Why not sedate the bear?

megimoo
07-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Why not sedate the bear?Follow the link for details !

SaintLouieWoman
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Follow the link for details !
I followed the link. They should have called that bear sanctuary right away. Why would they have jeopardized the safety of the people and the bear for all those days? It's also a good thing the officer was a good shot. If that many people were around, I'd think the festival visitors might have been in danger.

This reminds me of how bears were often killed in Canada, sitting ducks when they were foraging in the city dump.

It's more a matter of folks disposing of their trash properly. I realize that's a tough thing to do in bear country.

Goldwater
07-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Follow the link for details !

Still hasn't changed my mind that much, several of them fired at once would do it. I suppose if you have to be absolutely sure...

SarasotaRepub
07-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Poor Yogi couldn't get to the picnic basket! :(:D

Seriously, I think that bear could have been saved if they call the bear folks sooner.

Oh well, I wonder who gets the rug??

Zeus
07-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Why not sedate the bear?

Just in case they ran out of Turkey ;)

megimoo
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Still hasn't changed my mind that much, several of them fired at once would do it. I suppose if you have to be absolutely sure...Tell you what .Next time they have a bear in in a jar go on up there and take it off !

megimoo
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I followed the link. They should have called that bear sanctuary right away. Why would they have jeopardized the safety of the people and the bear for all those days? It's also a good thing the officer was a good shot. If that many people were around, I'd think the festival visitors might have been in danger.

This reminds me of how bears were often killed in Canada, sitting ducks when they were foraging in the city dump.

It's more a matter of folks disposing of their trash properly. I realize that's a tough thing to do in bear country.
It looks like they didn't have much interest in the bear until it started into the downtown area .
They tried to sedate it but it wandered into the woods.
If they really wanted to go to the trouble they could have trapped and sedated it but didn't have enough equipment so they took the easy way out !

Goldwater
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Tell you what .Next time they have a bear in in a jar go on up there and take it off !

I will! You'll see, and the bear will thank me by crushing my enemies.

megimoo
07-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I will! You'll see, and the bear will thank me by crushing my enemies.

More than likely it'll bite off your nuts then eat you !

Goldwater
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
More than likely it'll bite off your nuts then eat you !

If by my nuts you mean Shannon and by eating me you mean stabbing Hitler in the face. Then Meg, we have finally found common ground. :)

megimoo
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
If by my nuts you mean Shannon and by eating me you mean stabbing Hitler in the face. Then Meg, we have finally found common ground. :)I doubt it very much.Your answer has me baffled .Could I please have some sort of clarification ?

lurkalot
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Still hasn't changed my mind that much, several of them fired at once would do it. I suppose if you have to be absolutely sure...

There is a lot of forested land between where the bear was first sighted and where he ended up. Now granted I haven't been back home in 8 years, but when I left, Frazee MN had no stoplights, a grocery store, a bar, a nursing home a funeral home, a school, and a turkey processing plant. Not likely that the local police are equipped with anything beyond basic guns.
Itasca where the bear is originally from in appears, is the headwaters of the Mississippi and a very large state park. Tons of stupid tourists who dont' realize that there are bears around and don't realize that just leaving their trash laying around is not a good option. Dang city people!

Zeus
07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/01Zeus/Bearsign.jpg

Goldwater
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I doubt it very much.Your answer has me baffled .Could I please have some sort of clarification ?

I'm afraid not.

Toodles! :D