PDA

View Full Version : NBC Cafeteria Celebrates Black History Month With Fried Chicken Special

bijou
02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
So who at NBC thought it would be a good idea for the special today to be, among other things, fried chicken, “in honor of Black History Month”?

Because, spoiler alert – it wasn’t a good idea at all. And now NBCU employee Questlove is bringing it to the attention of his 1 million plus Twitter followers.

Questlove, the band leader and drummer for The Roots (the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon) tweeted this picture from the NBC Commissary at 30 Rock, with the comment: “Hmm HR?”

link (http://www.mediaite.com/online/nbc-cafeteria-celebrates-black-history-month-with-fried-chicken-special/)

Liberal media in need of diversity training. :D

ColonialMarine0431
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I guess for gay pride month they'll be serving foot-longs on steamed buns and chocolate pudding.

AlmostThere
02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I really didn't need to contemplate that menu. :eek:

CueSi
02-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I guess for gay pride month they'll be serving foot-longs on steamed buns and chocolate pudding.

:eek:

:D

Um, Sir... you owe me a new laptop. <bats eyes>

~QC

djones520
02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
That's roflicious.

stsinner
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
I've got a silly question... Why should it be offensive to black people to be associated with liking fried chicken? It's funny, because having grown up in the Midwest, I can tell you that they absolutely love friend chicken, and I fail to see how this is in any way demeaning... I happen to love fried chicken, too! Remember stereotypes are nothing more that identified patterns of behavior.. I just don't get the whole, "I'm offended because you said I like fried chicken," thing.. It's not the cheapest thing to eat-in fact, KFC is damned expensive!

Rockntractor
02-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I've got a silly question... Why should it be offensive to black people to be associated with liking fried chicken? It's funny, because having grown up in the Midwest, I can tell you that they absolutely love friend chicken, and I fail to see how this is in any way demeaning... I happen to love fried chicken, too! Remember stereotypes are nothing more that identified patterns of behavior.. I just don't get the whole, "I'm offended because you said I like fried chicken," thing.. It's not the cheapest thing to eat-in fact, KFC is damned expensive!
I think churches chicken is better.They give you bigger pieces and it's cheaper and less greasy. I do like Kentucky fried chicken's sauce less hot wings though!

stsinner
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I think churches chicken is better.They give you bigger pieces and it's cheaper and less greasy. I do like Kentucky fried chicken's sauce less hot wings though!

Rock, I grew up not a block away from a Church's Chicken, and i LOVED it!! That's where I learned that black people actually do LOVE fried chicken, and I don't see the insult! Church's used to always put a jalapeno in their meals-don't know if they still do, because we don't have them here in the Northeast.. That was some good chicken!!

Rockntractor
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Rock, I grew up not a block away from a Church's Chicken, and i LOVED it!! That's where I learned that black people actually do LOVE fried chicken, and I don't see the insult! Church's used to always put a jalapeno in their meals-don't know if they still do, because we don't have them here in the Northeast.. That was some good chicken!!

I had a clearing job I was working this summer right next to a churches's chicken. I had to smell it all day and ate it for supper about 3 times a week. That woman got tired of it but I can't get too much!

Gingersnap
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
What's funny about this is that it's trivial since a lib company did it but it would be outrageous if a company perceived as "right" did it.

In real life, it ought to be trivial no matter who did it. Almost everybody likes fried chicken and a lot of people would like greens if they gave them a try. Plenty of lily white people in the South like greens.

You should be able to serve tacos for Hispanic month and stir-fry for Asian month and fry-bread and venison for Native American month. For White month we could get fancy coffees, organic yogurt, and grass fed, organic beef with locally sourced, in-season veggies. :p

stsinner
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
What's funny about this is that it's trivial since a lib company did it but it would be outrageous if a company perceived as "right" did it.

In real life, it ought to be trivial no matter who did it. Almost everybody likes fried chicken and a lot of people would like greens if they gave them a try. Plenty of lily white people in the South like greens.

You should be able to serve tacos for Hispanic month and stir-fry for Asian month and fry-bread and venison for Native American month. For White month we could get fancy coffees, organic yogurt, and grass fed, organic beef with locally sourced, in-season veggies. :p

Well-said, Ginger!!! I love some collard greens and kale!!

Gingersnap
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Well-said, Ginger!!! I love some collard greens and kale!!

I grow collards every year. They are just as good in salads or stir-fries as spinach and they have all the health benefits of broccoli or cabbage. Plus, they are awesome when cooked in bacon grease.

I don't see why we all can't enjoy collards regardless of our skin tones.

PoliCon
02-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Reality is - The whole hubbub is manufactured and stupid. I see nothing wrong with the menu - but you're right. The ire over something like this will be tempered based on how 'liberal' the perpetrator is perceived to be. Just like how Reid isn't racist for what he said but Rush is for saying people want McNab to succeed because he's black.

nightflight
02-05-2010, 01:14 AM
For White month we could get fancy coffees, organic yogurt, and grass fed, organic beef with locally sourced, in-season veggies. :p

Ironically, for Southern White Month you would serve the same dishes as Black History Month.

ColonialMarine0431
02-05-2010, 01:27 AM
The link was updated. There's a short video from the chef defending the menu. And she's a black woman. Oh the irony. Aside from the collards and black eyed peas the menu looks tasty to me.

AlmostThere
02-05-2010, 05:31 AM
The link was updated. There's a short video from the chef defending the menu. And she's a black woman. Oh the irony. Aside from the collards and black eyed peas the menu looks tasty to me.

I knew there was something strange going on here. You don't like black eyed peas???:eek:

PoliCon
02-05-2010, 05:40 AM

Oh that is rich! So all the charges the left is making about racism are against a black woman. I hope that she's a lesbian. That would make it all the more ironic and fun!:D

noonwitch
02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Oh that is rich! So all the charges the left is making about racism are against a black woman. I hope that she's a lesbian. That would make it all the more ironic and fun!:D

Did any of the people making the charges even ask any black people if they'd be offended? Probably not.

One of the best things about working in social services in a city like Detroit is: multicultural potlucks. We're having one on Tuesday. I'm making spanakotopita, other white people will bring in their italian or polish recipes, and the black people will bring in greens, catfish, cornbread, etc. The only thing better is the church parking BBQ you can buy around Detroit on Fridays and Saturdays in the summer.

Jfor
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Fried chicken with some hot sauce, collard or turnip greens and some black eyed peas. Maybe even throw some fried okra in there. Now that's what I call good eatin'!

ColonialMarine0431
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I knew there was something strange going on here. You don't like black eyed peas???:eek:

Vile vegetable. :cool:

But the fried okra suggestion is spot on. I LOVE okra.:D

ralph wiggum
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Had this come out about Fox News serving fried chicken in "honor" of black history month, there would be OUTRAGE.

AlmostThere
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Vile vegetable. :cool:

But the fried okra suggestion is spot on. I LOVE okra.:D

What do you do for good luck on New Years Day? :confused:

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM

I hate to break this to you but not a lot of people north of the Mason-Dixon Line eat cow peas on New Year's Day. :cool:

ColonialMarine0431
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Ugh! My Mom always said that. My family is 100% midwestern and southern and black eyed peas were always served on New Years Day. Never touched 'em.

ralph wiggum
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
So when Fuzzy Zoeller jokes about Tiger Woods serving fried chicken & collard greens at the Masters dinner, he loses sponsors left & right.

But at the 1997 Masters tournament, Zoeller made an off-hand remark regarding Tiger Woods. After finishing tied for 34th place with a score of 78, Zoeller, referring to the following year's Masters Champions Dinner, for which the defending champion selects the menu, said, "He's doing quite well, pretty impressive. That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not to serve fried chicken next year. Got it." Zoeller then smiled, snapped his fingers, and walked away before turning and adding, "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve." K-Mart and Dunlop ceased sponsoring Zoeller after the incident.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_Zoeller#Controversies)

But when NBC "celebrates" black history month like this, they get a pass? :rolleyes:

PoliCon
02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Fried chicken with some hot sauce, collard or turnip greens and some black eyed peas. Maybe even throw some fried okra in there. Now that's what I call good eatin'!

The shit ya'll call vegetables in the south is revolting.

PoliCon
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Sauerkraut and pork. Duh. :rolleyes:

djones520
02-05-2010, 05:02 PM
The shit ya'll call vegetables in the south is revolting.

Amen to that.

megimoo
02-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Next month it's 'Hog Jowls,Collard Greens and Grits with a side of 'boiled peanuts'!

AlmostThere
02-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I hate to break this to you but not a lot of people north of the Mason-Dixon Line eat cow peas on New Year's Day. :cool:

Well, as you say, they live north of the Mason Dixon line, so whatever they're doing for good luck, it isn't helping very much. Location, Location, Location.