PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Friday

linda22003
02-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Today in the DC area we're expecting to get slammed with snow. Our fridge and freezers are full, as are our gas tanks, and the wood bin as well.

TOTD: What do you like to do when you're snowed in "since there's no place to go"? We have lots of popcorn and old movies, over twenty cases of wine, and I have a big knitting project I'm working on. I can stay inside for ages without the slightest hint of cabin fever. :)

patriot45
02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Today in the DC area we're expecting to get slammed with snow. Our fridge and freezers are full, as are our gas tanks, and the wood bin as well.

TOTD: What do you like to do when you're snowed in "since there's no place to go"? We have lots of popcorn and old movies, over twenty cases of wine, and I have a big knitting project I'm working on. I can stay inside for ages without the slightest hint of cabin fever. :)

Gonna be around 80 degrees and windy today. Snow? Whats that? :eek:

10:00 Tee time this morning!

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Same old, same old: low 40s and probably some snow this weekend.

TOTD: Hah! I also have knitting projects (what is yours by the way?), thousands of books, slap-happy dogs, and skis. When it really snows and everything grinds to a halt, I can literally ski right out of my yard and into a nature preserve. If we need to really get out, we can borrow the neighbor's snowmobile.

Mr. Snaps is a be-prepared kind of guy so we always have plenty of food and fuel. I'm never bored. Being snowed in is just an excellent excuse to bake cookies and pursue various other activities of an adult nature. ;)

Bubba Dawg
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Snow turned into rain. Temps in the 30's. Grey Day.

We can get in and out but I have a stomach bug. Blah.

I love weather related down-time. Books and movies. Coffee. Cats. Munchies.

Today is a good day for beef stew and cornbread. Shame I'm on clear liquids. :(

Rockntractor
02-05-2010, 10:04 AM

How do you fix your cat?

Bubba Dawg
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
How do you fix your cat?

LOL. When we watch movies or read we are covered in cats, especially if we have a blanket over our laps and legs.

linda22003
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
TOTD: Hah! I also have knitting projects (what is yours by the way?)

A cardigan sweater for a friend. I may even finish it before I head to Paris next week.

BadCat
02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Snow?

I have to mow my lawn today.

BadCat
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Vodka is a clear liquid.

Bubba Dawg
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Vodka is a clear liquid.

Nice. :D

Maybe later.

Or gin. I have a bottle of Boodles.

BadCat
02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice. :D

Maybe later.

Or gin. I have a bottle of Boodles.

Did you ever try the Hendrick's Gin?

FlaGator
02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Thunderstorms and rain this afternoon. Temps in the mid 70s.

TOTD: What is "being snowed in"? Please explain.

Bubba Dawg
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Did you ever try the Hendrick's Gin?

I have recently at a friend's house. I didn't remember the name until you just said it but it was excellent. It had a cork stopper instead of a screw top.

I tried it in a martini. It was excellent.

linda22003
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Thunderstorms and rain this afternoon. Temps in the mid 70s.

TOTD: What is "being snowed in"? Please explain.

It is being marooned in your home by snowdrifts, rather than by disgusting tropical temperatures and bugs the size of Volkswagens.

NJCardFan
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
You and me, Linda are going to be in the same boat. Calling for anywhere between 12 to 24 inches of snow. I already called off of work today and tomorrow because I have a feeling that if I went to work today I won't get home until Monday. I'm about to head off to the store for some supplies. Just topping some stuff off. I might even top off my oil tank but as with any snow storm, shouldn't be snowed in more than a couple of days. As long as the electric doesn't go out we'll be fine. Got plenty of movies and the Super Bowl coming up and plenty of food. Just need some snacky stuff. We also have plenty of ice melt so now we wait.

FlaGator
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
It is being marooned in your home by snowdrifts, rather than by disgusting tropical temperatures and bugs the size of Volkswagens.

Those things have never forced me to stay in doors.

linda22003
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Those things have never forced me to stay in doors.

They would sure do it for me!

Shannon
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I have never been snowed in before. I've been "hurricaned in". That's not so much fun.

Rockntractor
02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I have never been snowed in before. I've been "hurricaned in". That's not so much fun.
I drank to many hurricanes too fast one time. I was passed out for two days, I called in sick on a Tuesday and they asked me where I was Monday. I had no idea!

djones520
02-05-2010, 09:20 PM
TOTD: I'm not allowed the luxury of getting snowed in unfortunately. Being a military weather forecaster, I'm considered mission essential. So it doesn't matter if it snowed 24" overnight, when my shift begins I am required to be there.

Rockntractor
02-05-2010, 09:22 PM
TOTD: I'm not allowed the luxury of getting snowed in unfortunately. Being a military weather forecaster, I'm considered mission essential. So it doesn't matter if it snowed 24" overnight, when my shift begins I am required to be there.

Will they send someone to pick you up if you can't drive or do you just stay on the base when a storm is coming?

djones520
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Will they send someone to pick you up if you can't drive or do you just stay on the base when a storm is coming?

I live on base, and I grew up in NW Michigan, were snow bands would dump a foot of snow a night rather frequently. So I'm prepped for snow. The unfortunate part about that is I'm usually the one who gets to cover for those who aren't. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I live on base, and I grew up in NW Michigan, were snow bands would dump a foot of snow a night rather frequently. So I'm prepped for snow. The unfortunate part about that is I'm usually the one who gets to cover for those who aren't. :rolleyes:
I remember the snow storms in Minnesota, no big deal they were prepared. In Oklahoma everything shuts down. You can have an inch of snow and they all drive 5 mph, the ditches are full of SUV's.

djones520
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I remember the snow storms in Minnesota, no big deal they were prepared. In Oklahoma everything shuts down. You can have an inch of snow and they all drive 5 mph, the ditches are full of SUV's.

An inch of snow here can generally be disregarded, but 3 inches will shut the base down. All our bases are affected differantly. At Misawa, we had the best snow removal team in the Air Force. As a result, the base rarely closed due to snow events, despite the fact of averaging 70" of snow a year. Places like Shaw AFB, in South Carolina laugh when you mention snow removal. So when they get an inch once a year or so, the base closes.

NJCardFan
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
It's snowing now. Gonna be a good one.

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
The unfortunate part about that is I'm usually the one who gets to cover for those who aren't. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. Even out here, there are some more or less chronically unprepared/terrified people who refuse to drive in snow. I'm sad to say that they are all women at my place. :(

SarasotaRepub
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
It's snowing now. Gonna be a good one.

Make sure you have enough bread, eggs, and milk!!!! :eek::D

Hey, I used to live in Monmouth County.:D