PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Atlantic shuts down ahead of huge snow warning

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Mid-Atlantic shuts down ahead of huge snow warning

WASHINGTON Shoppers jammed aisles and emptied stores of milk, bread and shovels Friday as a massive snowstorm blew into the Mid-Atlantic. Forecasters predicted a record 30 inches or more for the nation's capital, and authorities already were blaming the storm for the deaths of father-son Samaritans in Virginia.

The region's second snow storm in less than two months could be "extremely dangerous," and heavy, wet snow and strong winds threatened to knock out power, the National Weather Service said.

Flakes started falling around noon in Washington, where the federal government sent workers home early. The storm's wide swath and predictions of historic proportions for an area ill-equipped for snow had airlines canceling flights and school districts closing hours before any snow arrived.

The last time D.C. got at least 28 inches of snow was in 1922. The city has seen more than a foot only 13 times since 1870, according to the National Weather Service. The storm was expected to track through Virginia and West Virginia, across Maryland into southern New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100205/ap_on_re_us/us_winter_weather;_ylt=AmOvj1Xp_PFHe45L98DfmKBvzwc F;_ylu=X3oDMTJpcXA5dGtlBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMjA1L3V zX3dpbnRlcl93ZWF0aGVyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDeW5fd G9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNtaWQtYXRsYW50aWM-)

djones520
02-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Love these types of systems. Everything is lining up PERFECTLY to just rock the ever living hell outta Maryland and N. Carolina. Those forecasts of up to 2 feet, I would buy.

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
How's it setting up people?

djones520
02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Eastern West Virginia is reporting half mile vis with moderate snow fall.

DC area 3/4 mile visibility with light snow, but the observation is automated, so i'd be expecting more moderate snow fall.

Deleware 1 1/2 mile visbility with light snow fall.

All of the forecasts in the region have moderate to heavy snow fall forecasted to last for the next 16-20 hours.

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Eastern West Virginia is reporting half mile vis with moderate snow fall.

DC area 3/4 mile visibility with light snow, but the observation is automated, so i'd be expecting more moderate snow fall.

Deleware 1 1/2 mile visbility with light snow fall.

All of the forecasts in the region have moderate to heavy snow fall forecasted to last for the next 16-20 hours.

What's the temp and pressure in D.C.?

SarasotaRepub
02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Well we got jack here. :D

Not that I'm complaining.

djones520
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Andrews AFB is reporting 30F with a station pressure of 1008mb or an altimeter of 27.78inhg

djones520
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Our wonderfully automated observing machine here on Scott is reporting Freezing Rain right now. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
02-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Andrews AFB is reporting 30F with a station pressure of 1008mb or an altimeter of 27.78inhg

:eek:

"Perfect" is about right.

PoliCon
02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
How's it setting up people?

we have 10 already - and more to come here in the Burgh. It's a nice wet snow so it will be fun for the kids tomorrow :D I may take the niece and nephews sledding . . . . Oh and there is a bus blocking the next street over because it started to slide down the hill and is now sideways in the middle of the block!

The good thing about days like this - DC will be shut down. :) Makes it harder for them to steal our money.

Rockntractor
02-06-2010, 12:04 AM
we have 10. The good thing about days like this - DC will be shut down. :) Makes it harder for them to steal our money.

10 inches! Its up to your knees already?

djones520
02-06-2010, 12:27 AM

I just shovelled an inch of slush out of my drive way. If you guys are getting this on that side of the river, I'd suggest breaking it down a bit before letting in freeze up overnight.

Rockntractor
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
The snow storm is Gods punishment because Washington made a deal with the devil!

linda22003
02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
It's still coming down heavily, and will for the rest of the day. As I posted on another thread, my husband just left the house and was up to mid-thigh in snow before he got out of the driveway.

The storm of 1922 is still the benchmark to measure by; it is still known as the "Knickerbocker storm". The roof of the Knickerbocker Theatre collapsed under the weight of 28" of wet snow; it was during a performance, and nearly a hundred people were killed.

http://www.weatherbook.com/knickerbocker.html

PoliCon
02-06-2010, 10:27 AM
It's still coming down heavily, and will for the rest of the day. As I posted on another thread, my husband just left the house and was up to mid-thigh in snow before he got out of the driveway.

The storm of 1922 is still the benchmark to measure by; it is still known as the "Knickerbocker storm". The roof of the Knickerbocker Theatre collapsed under the weight of 28" of wet snow; it was during a performance, and nearly a hundred people were killed.

http://www.weatherbook.com/knickerbocker.html

It is a very wet snow . . . .

SarasotaRepub
02-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I just shovelled an inch of slush out of my drive way. If you guys are getting this on that side of the river, I'd suggest breaking it down a bit before letting in freeze up overnight.

No, we didn't even get that. A big nothing of a storm but perhaps this next one will make up for it. They are saying 6 inches maybe. That's nothing in my book. :D

djones520
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
No, we didn't even get that. A big nothing of a storm but perhaps this next one will make up for it. They are saying 6 inches maybe. That's nothing in my book. :D

I'm looking into that right now. I mentioned that to our lead forecaster and he got a baffled look on his face.