PDA

View Full Version : "Cop Buys Food for Man Caught Stealing,"Welcome To Hard Times,.... America !"

megimoo
02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Officer purchases food for man caught stealing

Bozeman Police Officer Marek Ziegler was called to Van’s IGA last Friday night to check on a shoplifting report.

Bozeman Police Officer Marek Ziegler purchased groceries for a man after the man was arrested and cited for theft from a local grocery store.
The 33-year-old officer has been on the Bozeman force for three years. He is a K-9 handler and works nights, from about 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.

When he got to the grocery store on North Seventh Avenue, employees told Ziegler that a 32-year-old man had stuffed food and “pens, pencils, maybe markers, things for his kids” into his coat.

The officer arrested the man, cited him for theft and then released him.
But the story didn’t end there.Ziegler had asked the man why he had been stealing.“He was really upset,” Ziegler said this week. “Basically, he told me he’s having a hard time and can’t provide the food for his family right now, so that’s why he was stealing.”

Ziegler already had the man’s address, but asked for the man’s phone number.
“I told him, ‘Give me 15 minutes,’ and I went and got him some food.”Ziegler ran to Wal-Mart, picked up a few frozen pizzas and delivered them to the man’s house.“Obviously, as a police officer, I have a job to do, but we’re still human, too,” Ziegler said.

When the officer handed over the food, the man shook his hand and thanked him for understanding, Ziegler said.And then Ziegler kept the story to himself.

However, a Chronicle reporter was at the 911 dispatch center that night. She overheard tidbits of the officer’s report that he was going to buy the man some food. The Chronicle sought out the story. Ziegler wasn’t seeking attention for his good deed.

http://dailychronicle.com/articles/2010/02/05/news/000goodcop.txt

Sonnabend
02-06-2010, 03:31 AM
One of the comments

" It all comes down to this. Do you want to be a cop or a social worker?? " :rolleyes:

I'd say it came down to the cop having kindness and compassion.

AlmostThere
02-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Maybe a little of both with a good bit of human decency thrown in. With all the bad we hear it is SO nice to hear about some genuine kindness every once and a while. :)

PoliCon
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know what the average waiting period is for getting foodstamps etc is? :(

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know what the average waiting period is for getting foodstamps etc is? :(

Mocking the guy for being up shits creek?

PoliCon
02-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Mocking the guy for being up shits creek?

What the fuck do I look like? A leftist? I'm not mocking anyone - I'm serious. Right now it's taking over a month to process new claims where I'm at.

Rockntractor
02-06-2010, 08:40 PM
What the fuck do I look like? A leftist? I'm not mocking anyone - I'm serious. Right now it's taking over a month to process new claims where I'm at.

Evil bastid!

PoliCon
02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Evil bastid!

excuse me - that's MR. Ebil Bastid to you! :p

Rockntractor
02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
excuse me - that's MR. Ebil Bastid to you! :p
Sorry sir!

PoliCon
02-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Sorry sir!
You Porcine-Americans are all alike. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
02-06-2010, 11:42 PM

That's not the main problem. The big problem is qualifying. Way back when, when my wife and I were really struggling to make it in Arizona, we went to the welfare office to get a little help. Not looking for forever, just until we get back on our feet. We had to nearly beg. They relented and gave us $75 a month for 3 months(and prorated the first month which mean we got $60 in the first month). But it felt like it took forever. IIRC it took us a few months of interviews and background checks.

As for the OP, we cops are such dicks aren't we?

AlmostThere
02-07-2010, 05:06 AM

Are things going that bad? :(

PoliCon
02-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Are things going that bad? :(

You have to remember - All of the 1990s reforms have been rolled back by Barry and Co. They want as many people on the dole as possible so - yea it's that bad.