megimoo
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
To Those of Us Born Between 1925-1970
An email I recieved

SNIP
~~~~~~~~~
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets, and, when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.
As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight..
WHY?Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
--And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building
our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes... After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms...

WE HAD FRIENDS
and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.
We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.
We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and
-although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever.
The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?
~~~~~~~
The quote of the month by
Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us.....go ahead and delete this.
For the rest of us. ...pass this on...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2445749/posts

hampshirebrit
02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, I don't believe in God, but I can get behind just about everything else in that post.

I'm a 59er. I'm glad of it. It was a good time to be a kid in the UK and US. Things only started to turn to shit in the mid 70s. By then, I was nearly all growed up.

I'd hate to be a child growing up now. Fuckin' nanny state bullshit. We're raising a generation of Nintendo corn-fed pussies now.

Articulate_Ape
02-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, I don't believe in God, but I can get behind just about everything else in that post.

I'm a 59er. I'm glad of it. It was a good time to be a kid in the UK and US. Things only started to turn to shit in the mid 70s. By then, I was nearly all growed up.

I'd hate to be a child growing up now. Fuckin' nanny state bullshit. We're raising a generation of Nintendo corn-fed pussies now.

Amen.

Sonnabend
02-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Damned straight.

marv
02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
At 71, I think I've seen the best the Nation has had to offer; from WW2 to President Reagan. I'm tired now.

megimoo
02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
At 71, I think I've seen the best the Nation has had to offer; from WW2 to President Reagan. I'm tired now.You're only a kid,keep going and if you're tired take a nap. Make it a habit to have a few drinks of a day and always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die and .... "You'll Be a Long Time Dead" !

ColonialMarine0431
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I was born in '75, but all that applies to how I grew up. :D

Speedy
02-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Army Men and Black Cat firecrackers. Glass Kerknockers remember those? Lawn darts, the real ones with metal tips. Dodgeball. At my elementary school we had a metal slide 20 feet high. We would put WD40 on an old shop rag and make a few runs down the slide on it.

ColonialMarine0431
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
We had BB guns and used to go into the woods and play War. Nobody thought twice about a bunch of kids carrying BB guns. Then again, I grew up on military bases. To me a civie was someone waiting to go through MEPS.

Shannon
02-06-2010, 08:05 PM
We're raising a generation of Nintendo corn-fed pussies now.

Not all of us.;)

djones520
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Not all of us.;)

Amen to that. I was born in 84 and my parents didn't raise no nancy pants. Nor will my son be raised as such.

hampshirebrit
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
You're only a kid,keep going and if you're tired take a nap. Make it a habit to have a few drinks of a day and always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die and .... "You'll Be a Long Time Dead" !

You know what? This is one of the few Megi threads I'll endorse.

What Megi said. Fuckin A, Oohrah. Good fuckin' post.

Rockntractor
02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
You know what? This is one of the few Megi threads I'll endorse.

What Megi said. Fuckin A, Oohrah. Good fuckin' post.
So your a 59er too. We are both geezers!:D

hampshirebrit
02-06-2010, 08:31 PM
So your a 59er too. We are both geezers!:D

59ers are the best people in the world.

Anyone else can kiss my ass. Sucks to be you. :p

Shannon
02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
59ers are the best people in the world.

Anyone else can kiss my ass. Sucks to be you. :p

I think I'm an 81er this year.

hampshirebrit
02-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I think I'm an 81er this year.

OK, since it's you, I'm willing to give you a pass. It's not your fault for being an 81er.

Yes, it's nice of me. Yes, I'm abusing my privs. Yes, I know all the short-bus people will flame me for it. Who gives a shit.

Fuck'em, the retards. There has to be some bennies for being a mod. :p

djones520
02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
OK, since it's you, I'm willing to give you a pass. It's not your fault for being an 81er.

Yes, it's nice of me. Yes, I'm abusing my privs. Yes, I know all the short-bus people will flame me for it. Who gives a shit.

Who are you kidding? Our only purpose is to make bad decisions and get yelled at.

Shannon
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM

You've been drinking, haven't you?:p

hampshirebrit
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
You've been drinking, haven't you?:p

I am shocked, Madam, shocked I say, that you could even think such a thing, even in your wildest dreams.

Shocked, I say.

hampshirebrit
02-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Who are you kidding? Our only purpose is to make bad decisions and get yelled at.

Now there, you might be right. Life in Modnicolor ii.

Bubba Dawg
02-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I am shocked, Madam, shocked I say, that you could even think such a thing, even in your wildest dreams.

Shocked, I say.

A non-denial denial. :rolleyes:;):D

hampshirebrit
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I just got through watching the first of a two-part series on BBC2 about how children used to play in the first 6 decades of the 20th century. It focussed on the UK but a lot of it applies to the US as well, and in many ways closely resembles the OP.

As kids we played outside all the time. Summers seemed to last forever. We learned the social rules of the world this way, because we were allowed to, because this was seen as an essential part of growing up, to be allowed to play without adult supervision. At six, I walked to school and back, alone or with other kids ... we all did that then.

OK, there's more traffic, we all have more cash these days, we have TVs and we have cars, but our kids do not have the freedoms that most of us CUers had growing up, nothing like.

megimoo
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I just got through watching the first of a two-part series on BBC2 about how children used to play in the first 6 decades of the 20th century. It focussed on the UK but a lot of it applies to the US as well, and in many ways closely resembles the OP.

As kids we played outside all the time. Summers seemed to last forever. We learned the social rules of the world this way, because we were allowed to, because this was seen as an essential part of growing up, to be allowed to play without adult supervision. At six, I walked to school and back, alone or with other kids ... we all did that then.

OK, there's more traffic, we all have more cash these days, we have TVs and we have cars, but our kids do not have the freedoms that most of us CUers had growing up, nothing like.
This is rather frightening ,I Find Myself in agreement with this Brit street Hoodlum but We did find more things to keep us occupied when we were young.

Outside games with other kids our age,bicycles made from parts found in the local dump.I Made my first English Raleigh bike from about six junk bikes that I found in the dump.

In The Summer Time We Would make 'Racing Scooters' from old wood boxes and roller skates wheels and race down hills into traffic .

In the winter we would slide down the hills at the local golf course on old cardboard boxes and into the traffic and we all survived.

After school I would change my cloths and rush out to play baseball of 'stick ball' until it was too dark to see.

Sundays I would listen to my favorite shows on the radio,the Green Hornet,I love a mystery,The Cisco Kid, Jack Armstrong, the All-American Boy, Captain Midnight, and The Tom Mix

Going to bed,under the covers,and listening on my secret homemade crystal radio,far into the night, that my parents didn't even know that I Had built.

hampshirebrit
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Did you guys have Saturday matinees at the local cinema? We did. I had completley forgotten about them until I saw them mentioned on the BBC thing. They were a kids- only morning at the Odeon cinema each Saturday. TV did for them in the 70s. I probably saw some of the last ones.

Rockntractor
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Did you guys have Saturday matinees at the local cinema? We did. I had completley forgotten about them until I saw them mentioned on the BBC thing. They were a kids- only morning at the Odeon cinema each Saturday. TV did for them in the 70s. I probably saw some of the last ones.

I don't know, when I was a kid my parents said that movies were evil and so was dancing.

AlmostThere
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't know, when I was a kid my parents said that movies were evil and so was dancing.

Is that why your avatars are generally animated and dancing? Rock, are you evil?!? :eek:

Shannon
02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Did you guys have Saturday matinees at the local cinema?

No, old man, we did not.

Rockntractor
02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Is that why your avatars are generally animated and dancing? Rock, are you evil?!? :eek:

To the core! I snuck out at about 14 and went to an R rated movie, about two weeks later I took a girl to a dance and soon was no longer a virgin. Maybe they were right!:confused:

lacarnut
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM

When I was a kid my brother and I would catch the bus to town and watch great movies with stars like Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, etc on Saturdays. Prior to going to the movie, we would attend a radio broadcast sponsored by a local bakery. They would give a few silver dollars out and everyone would get a loaf of bread. I was mean to my little brother because I would make him carry both loaves around or else I would beat him up.:)

Rockntractor
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I was mean to my little brother because I would make him carry both loaves around or else I would beat him up.:)

I hope he didn't grow up like Poli!:eek:

lacarnut
02-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I hope he didn't grow up like Poli!:eek:

Nope. We fought a lot as kids. In my late teens, he got so much bigger than me; so, I scaled back our fights. He later went into the Army and as an MP guard would box the prisoners in the stockade just for the hell of it.

noonwitch
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM

We had them in Grand Rapids in the 70s. Studio 28 even had a mini-golf course, the classic kind with little buildings and such. On nice saturdays, my parents would give us $10 bucks for movie, food and golf, and drop us off for about 2 or 3 hours. I assume that is when they had sex.

hampshirebrit
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
This is rather frightening ,I Find Myself in agreement with this Brit street Hoodlum but We did find more things to keep us occupied when we were young.

Hey, don't be frightened. :p Seriously, I think you posted a great thread there.

It's good that it coincided with the BBC show I posted about. I just got through watching the rest of it this evening. It pretty much confirmed to me that I was part of the cusp generation, the one that probably started to be changed during the mid to late sixties, because of TV coming in, car ownership increasing, more money around and so on, and definitely more restrictions on unsupervised play. To me there is little doubt now as to the profound impact that TV and the increase in car ownership made to society at that time.

Looking at those two shows, I can remember so much about my childhood that was very much like they depicted (although they actually had it as the first five decades, rather than the six I thought), and I can also see the cut-over point when things started to change. For me, that was the seventies, rather than the sixties as shown in the program, but I guess it has a lot to do with where you lived, where you went to school and what age you were.

Maybe it's just me wallowing in nostalgia, but looking at your OP and looking at the two shows, I think our newer generations are missing out. I think that they are much more limited nowadays, in ways we never were. They have more things materially, maybe, but they have far, far less freedom. That's the real point, to me, the real problem.

I'm not saying that all societal problems are down to only that, but I am saying that our society is far, far less self reliant now, and that is because of that. I think it will cause big problems down the road, and I think it is already causing big problems.