PDA

View Full Version : Military increases availability of morning after pill.

djones520
02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm really quite suprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet. I figured it would have caught Megi's attention if no one else.

Washington (CNN) -- All U.S. military health facilities around the world will now carry the emergency contraception pill known as Plan B One-Step, according to a new Department of Defense policy.

The decision to carry the pill, often referred to as the morning-after pill, was based on a recommendation by the Pentagon's Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, an advisory panel made up of medical professionals from the military services, Pentagon officials said Friday.

Many military hospitals already carry the pill, but the new action means it will become a standard part of every medical facility's stock of drugs, including those on bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, the officials said.

The panel's recommendation was approved by the Pentagon's acting assistant secretary of defense for health affairs, Allen Middleton, on Wednesday, the officials said.

The decision to make levonorgestrel, the generic name for Plan B One-Step, available to all Department of Defense health installations was based on a desire for uniformity, according to Pentagon spokesman Col. David Lapan.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/05/military.morning.after.pill/index.html

More at the link.

Rockntractor
02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Take all you want DJ!:D

linda22003
02-07-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm really quite suprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet. I figured it would have caught Megi's attention if no one else.

Why would Megi post about it? This involves HETEROsexuality. I assume it's a response to the problems the military has been having with unintended (in the military, one might almost say "unauthorized") pregnancies.

djones520
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Why would Megi post about it? This involves HETEROsexuality. I assume it's a response to the problems the military has been having with unintended (in the military, one might almost say "unauthorized") pregnancies.

Well, everything I've read has said that it was available at most military installations already. But the DoD decided to just make it a blanket regulation to keep uniformity. That and with a bunch of deployments in the AOR being 6 months plus, things are just gonna happen over there and they don't need to be losing people due to pregnancies.

linda22003
02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I think it makes sense. I think those who equate the morning after pill with a late term abortion are nuts, but there are people who do.

noonwitch
02-08-2010, 08:54 AM
It makes sense to have it available for military females.

It's still better for women to take precautions before having sex. But those things fail, sometimes.

wilbur
02-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I think it makes sense. I think those who equate the morning after pill with a late term abortion are nuts, but there are people who do.

Well, in a sense they are technically right. If its a human person at conception, then its a human person when the morning after pill does its thing, just like its a human person when a late term abortion happens. Of course, even the regular pill prevents pregancy in the same way, sometimes - it often prevents concieved fetuses from implanting - but most are totally ignorant of that fact, or rationalize it away somehow so that they don't have to take a troubling (but consistent) stand regarding the legality of the pill. So consistency still isnt the strong suit of most pro-lifers I have encountered, in this regard. It is all quite nuts, I agree.

And good for the military.