PDA

View Full Version : PajamaJeans - The Next Snuggie?

Gingersnap
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
PajamaJeans - The Next Snuggie?

by Katie Hintz-Zambrano (Subscribe to Katie Hintz-Zambrano's posts), Posted Feb 4th 2010 at 3:43PM

http://i45.tinypic.com/314rvqe.jpg
The soon-to-be-infamous PajamaJeans. Photo courtesy of PajamaGrams
Move over Snuggie, there's a new loungewear product in town and it doesn't resemble a blanket.

Say hello to PajamaJeans -- a new addition to the "I didn't feel like getting dressed" family of "fashion," advertised as "the pajamas to live in, and the jeans to sleep in." Um, okay.

"We were noticing that people were wearing their pajamas on airplanes and in grocery stores. But a lot of people have mixed feelings about it because they think it's inappropriate and sloppy," Stacey Buonanno, merchandising manager for The PajamaGram Company, maker of the double duty "denim," explained to StyleList.

"We thought, why don't we develop something that you're comfortable hanging around the house in or even sleeping in, but it looks acceptable when you go out of the house?"

"A lot of people wear their workout clothes out. But we thought it would be easy to take a pair of jeans, style them similar to a yoga pant, give them all the jean detailing, but make them stretchy and soft so that you wouldn't mind wearing them to bed," she told us.

Adding that, "The cool thing about the fabric is that the outside looks like a typical twill but it definitely has more of a jersey feel. And the inside is really, really brushed, so it almost feels like the inside of sweatpants or fleece."

"We thought it was perfect for the woman Oprah calls a 'shlumpadinka' to kick it up a notch. She can still be casual and comfortable, but she can look like she's snazzy and stylish," Buonanno said.

While we dare you to watch the PajamaJeans commercial (below) without cracking up (a breathy voice touts: "PajamaJeans have all the detailing of your favorite jeans -- high contrast top stitching, back pocket design details, even brass rivets so they look like they were made by some European designer"), it looks like the creators are laughing all the way to the bank. The jeans sold out within a few days of the launch.

"[It] took us all pleasantly by surprise," John Gilbert, PajamaGram's president and CEO, said in a statement. "We knew we had a great product that would appeal to many women, but the speed with which they flew out the door was amazing. It feels great knowing we've created a product that can give women everything they want, and demand, in a favorite pair of jeans."

Honestly, despite the gimmicky name and concept, the jeans themselves don't look so bad (although we're wondering how those rivets feel when you're taking a nap). We'd definitely say the dark wash and slim-fit puts them a couple notches above the out-dated mom jeans favored by President Obama and Steve Jobs.

I guarantee that these pants will sell like hotcakes and will be instantly imitated and sold in thousands of stores. Jeans are not particularly comfortable unless they are loose which is considered unfashionable (Mom jeans). Now you can have the stretchy goodness of spandex with the comfy softness of some kind of brushed cotton. Plus, it will appeal to the hopelessly fat and lazy.

I'm all for it! I'd much rather see some gal strolling around the grocery store in these than in her Hello Kitty pajama bottoms.

Stylelist (http://www.stylelist.com/2010/02/04/pajamajeans-the-next-snuggie/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl6|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stylelist.com%2F2010% 2F02%2F04%2Fpajamajeans-the-next-snuggie%2F)

Apache
02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm all for it! I'd much rather see some gal strolling around the grocery store in these than in her Hello Kitty pajama bottoms.

Ageed!

noonwitch
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I guarantee that these pants will sell like hotcakes and will be instantly imitated and sold in thousands of stores. Jeans are not particularly comfortable unless they are loose which is considered unfashionable (Mom jeans). Now you can have the stretchy goodness of spandex with the comfy softness of some kind of brushed cotton. Plus, it will appeal to the hopelessly fat and lazy.

Stylelist (http://www.stylelist.com/2010/02/04/pajamajeans-the-next-snuggie/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl6|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stylelist.com%2F2010% 2F02%2F04%2Fpajamajeans-the-next-snuggie%2F)

I bought my first pair of jeans in 20 years that doesn't have an elastic waistband. I don't want to go back!

Cotton and flannel are for pajamas, not denim.

Jumpy
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Cotton and flannel are for pajamas, not denim.
I agree!! I like the feel of my favorite jeans. I will believe it when I see it.. that these will actually look like a pair of jeans, and not pj's or sweats.

My daughter went to Sweden to visit my son who plays volleyball there. She had her luggage arrive 3 days after she got there so she was limited in her wardrobe. She wore casual sweats to the grocery store and said she felt way underdressed. Unlike the USA, people in Sweden dress to the nines, just to go to the grocery store.

Apache
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree!! I like the feel of my favorite jeans. I will believe it when I see it.. that these will actually look like a pair of jeans, and not pj's or sweats.

While we dare you to watch the PajamaJeans commercial (below) without cracking up (a breathy voice touts: "PajamaJeans have all the detailing of your favorite jeans -- high contrast top stitching, back pocket design details, even brass rivets so they look like they were made by some European designer"), it looks like the creators are laughing all the way to the bank. The jeans sold out within a few days of the launch.

"[It] took us all pleasantly by surprise," John Gilbert, PajamaGram's president and CEO, said in a statement. "We knew we had a great product that would appeal to many women, but the speed with which they flew out the door was amazing. It feels great knowing we've created a product that can give women everything they want, and demand, in a favorite pair of jeans."

Looks like the girls are giving them the thumbs up...;)

bijou
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
mzkSFnh7lbQ

If only people knew how to wear a snuggie properly there would be no need for stretchy jeans. :D

Jumpy
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Looks like the girls are giving them the thumbs up...;)
Maybe it is the name that is weirding me out. "pajama jeans".

I can definitly see my daughter loving them.