PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Memorials and Atheists.

megimoo
02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
“Atheist Activist” take prejudice to a new level

Roadside memorials are generally crosses, flowers, etc. little reminders placed by families at the side of roads where their loved ones died in car accidents or being run over.

It appears that Atheist Activists are so saturated with hatred that they encourage the destruction and disposal of these.

They refer to them as “macabre eyesores and dangerous distractions…offensive, annoying and depressing” and state,

“When you do see them, remove them as soon as possible"

…the State condones religious symbols being placed along the road on State property. There is nothing stopping us from taking down these religious symbols. We don't need...

http://www.examiner.com/x-34463-Albuquerque-Christian-Apologetics-Examiner~y2010m2d3-Atheist-Activist--driving-a-wedge-between-decent-people-and-road-side-memorials

linda22003
02-09-2010, 12:33 PM
In our area, it's mostly the police who remove them.

Gingersnap
02-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I moved this to it's own thread.

And for the record, I don't care for these shrines either. I don't object to them on religious grounds, I object to them because they are an eyesore. The right place to deploy shrine-like creations is a side altar in a church, at an actual shrine devoted to a religious figure, dedicated funeral/memorial locations, or at home.

Apache
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM

And for the record, I don't care for these shrines either. I don't object to them on religious grounds, I object to them because they are an eyesore. The right place to deploy shrine-like creations is a side altar in a church, at an actual shrine devoted to a religious figure, dedicated funeral/memorial locations, or at home.

What thread did this spawn from...:confused:

linda22003
02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
It spawned from the loony head of Megimoo.

FlaGator
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
It spawned from the loony head of Megimoo.

Very Athena like :D

Gingersnap
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
What thread did this spawn from...:confused:

He just mistakenly put it in a reply post instead of it's own thread. Lords knows I've done that myself more than once. ;)

noonwitch
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM

I don't like them, either. In Detroit, whenever a kid dies in either a fire or a car accident, people leave stuffed animals at the sight. You can imagine what that looks and smells like after a couple of rainstorms.

The city doesn't always take them down, either. There was one on Hayes that was there for years, as it crumbled and fell apart. All the animals were nailed to a stop sign, and just decomposed over a period of time.

Apache
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
He just mistakenly put it in a reply post instead of it's own thread. Lords knows I've done that myself more than once. ;)

You? Mistakes? Pshaw....:p

Apache
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't like them, either. In Detroit, whenever a kid dies in either a fire or a car accident, people leave stuffed animals at the sight. You can imagine what that looks and smells like after a couple of rainstorms.

The city doesn't always take them down, either. There was one on Hayes that was there for years, as it crumbled and fell apart. All the animals were nailed to a stop sign, and just decomposed over a period of time.

Unfortunately, from what I read, those aren't the markers they're targeting. They don't like the crosses :rolleyes:

With the roads and their conditions here, I see one of those markers and look for the danger. More than once they have helped me out!

linda22003
02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
All the animals were nailed to a stop sign, and just decomposed over a period of time.

Stuffed animal crucifixion is where I draw the line.
:eek:

Apache
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Stuffed animal crucifixion is where I draw the lion.

FIXXORED :D:p

noonwitch
02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, from what I read, those aren't the markers they're targeting. They don't like the crosses :rolleyes:

With the roads and their conditions here, I see one of those markers and look for the danger. More than once they have helped me out!

There's always the road sign on the freeway (I-75?) in Tennesee that memorializes the bus accident-that'll make you think twice before driving through the mountains at 100 mph.

Apache
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
There's always the road sign on the freeway (I-75?) in Tennesee that memorializes the bus accident-that'll make you think twice before driving through the mountains at 100 mph.

Was it JATO equipped? :eek:

Gingersnap
02-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't mind if the county puts up a permanent metal sign in memory of some victim with a "Drive Safely" message. It's those piles of candles, stuffed toys, and fake flowers that rot on the sidewalks that I don't like.

Since people have given up organized religion, they no longer have any customs and traditions to guide them through the mourning process. They picked up this shrine business from the Mexicans but most actual religious Mexicans have home altars.

Rebel Yell
02-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I've seen a couple of markers that were actually flower arrangements shaped like a car. i told my wife if I die of lung cancer, i want her to put an arrangment shapes like a cigarette whever I fall.:D

lacarnut
02-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I get an eerie feeling every-time I see a cross on the interstate. Atheists just need to get over their hatred of any thing religious.

noonwitch
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Stuffed animal crucifixion is where I draw the line.

I saw one this morning, in front of a burned-out house on East Warren. This time, all the stuffed animals were duct-taped to a light post, instead of nailed to it. I guess that's more humane.