PDA

View Full Version : Japan Says Whalers Injured in Skirmish With Activists (Update1)

megimoo
02-12-2010, 03:48 AM
(Bloomberg) -- Japan's government will protest to Australia about the Sea Shepherd Conservation Group after four Japanese whalers were injured in clashes in the Southern Ocean, Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura said today.

"Glenn Inwood, spokesman for Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research, said the injuries were not serious, but he cautioned that butyric acid can cause temporary blindness."

Four crew members of one of the whaling ships were treated for ``not so serious'' injuries after the activist group threw bottles of butyric acid onto the deck, according to Hideki Moronuki, spokesman at Japan's Fisheries Agency, which overseas the annual hunt to kill minke and fin whales in Antarctic waters.

Sea Shepherd said in a statement it threw 24 bottles of rotten butter and a ``slippery chemical'' it didn't identify onto the Nisshin Maru during a confrontation with the Japanese vessel earlier today. Sea Shepherd Captain Paul Watson described the group's tactics as ``non-violent chemical warfare.''

Machimura said Australia must take legal measures to prevent a repeat occurrence after the U.S.-based Sea Shepherd's Steve Irwin vessel refueled in Melbourne last month, before resuming its campaign against the whaling fleet.

``The Japanese government strongly protests such activities that aim to cause unjustified harm,'' Machimura told reporters at a press briefing in Tokyo.

The government is also calling for the Netherlands to take action because the Sea Shepherd's Steve Irwin, flies a Dutch flag, he said.

Call for Restraint

``I absolutely condemn actions by crew members of any vessel that cause injury, or have the potential to cause injury, to anyone on the high seas,'' Australia's Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said in an e-mailed statement. ``The Australian Government once again calls on all parties in the Southern Ocean, including all protest and whaling vessels, and their respective crews, to exercise the utmost restraint.''

Three whalers were treated for eye injuries after the confrontation, while another received unidentified minor injuries, Moronuki, head of the whaling section of Japan's Fisheries Agency, said by telephone today.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society said on Feb. 29 five members on the Steve Irwin may attempt to board the whalers despite a warning from the Australian government that it couldn't assist in their release.

Moronuki declined to comment on whether the activists would be taken back to Japan if they boarded a Japanese vessel.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=ae22sMBhdoVA&refer=asia

asdf2231
02-12-2010, 04:49 AM
They oughtta fucking arm the whalers and treat these assholes like the pirates they act like. Or start deploying Japanese naval assets to protect their citizens.

I would board them and strap the jackholes down on my deck and duct tape their eyes open so they could watch me process my damn harvest.

megimoo
02-12-2010, 05:15 AM
They oughtta fucking arm the whalers and treat these assholes like the pirates they act like. Or start deploying Japanese naval assets to protect their citizens.

I would board them and strap the jackholes down on my deck and duct tape their eyes open so they could watch me process my damn harvest.
Their predecessors pulled this kind of crap with the French during their Nuclear testing in the South Pacific sometimes in the fifty's I believe .A French UDT team blew the bottom out of their little protest boat and sank it .

Sonnabend
02-12-2010, 05:17 AM
.A French UDT team blew the bottom out of their little protest boat and sank it .

Killing a man still aboard.

jediab
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
How can chemical warfare not be violent???

Apache
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
How can chemical warfare not be violent???

The acid they throw is the same as stomach acid, it smells like vomit, nothing fatal or harmful about it...

djones520
02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
The acid they throw is the same as stomach acid, it smells like vomit, nothing fatal or harmful about it...

Except being able to cause temporary blindness while on a wet and slippery deck a few feet above an ocean full of water so cold it will most likely kill you before you can be rescued.

Apache
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Except being able to cause temporary blindness while on a wet and slippery deck a few feet above an ocean full of water so cold it will most likely kill you before you can be rescued.

Well there is that... I was addressing the chemical aspect only...:o

djones520
02-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Well there is that... I was addressing the chemical aspect only...:o

Yeah... I'm the unit safety monitor. I get to think about that type of stuff. :p

Apache
02-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah... I'm the unit safety monitor. I get to think about that type of stuff. :p

Then you'd hate me....:D

I'm the one who stands on TOP of the ladder :eek:

JB
02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Why aren't those hippies sunk yet?

MountainMan
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Killing a man still aboard.

If a sea hippy screams during an explosion and no one is around to hear the scream, was he really on board? :cool:

Sonnabend
02-12-2010, 10:42 PM
If a sea hippy screams during an explosion and no one is around to hear the scream, was he really on board?

Dont know. Ask his family.

Disagree with protestors all you like...a man died because they were too careless to check before they set the bomb off.

fredj125
02-13-2010, 12:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1rINRY_RQ

Rockntractor
02-13-2010, 12:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1rINRY_RQ
Hello Fred and welcome to CU.

megimoo
02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Sea Shepherd - Angry fisherman attack the Farley Mowat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUIaB76NBIg&feature=youtube_gdata
The Real Culprit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np9jDr2kdBs&feature=related
Sea Shepherds Tactics vs Japanese Whalers... Ady Gil... fail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1TQc0eXhSk&NR=1&feature=fvwp
Racist Australia and Terrorist Sea Shepherd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svf_ic5Lp50&NR=1&feature=fvwp
Sea Shepherd Attacks Japanese Whaling fleet. Feb 12, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDsZcLVXyn8&feature=related

Sonnabend
02-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Peter Garrett is an idiot. This is....news?:rolleyes:

megimoo
02-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Peter Garrett is an idiot. This is....news?:rolleyes:Too some it is !

Sonnabend
02-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Too some it is !

Try "to" some, it is.

megimoo
02-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Try "to" some, it is.Try minding your own business, numbers !

Sonnabend
02-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Try minding your own business, numbers !Try using a dictionary.

Jackass.:rolleyes:

megimoo
02-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Try using a dictionary.

Jackass.:rolleyes:In your nasty nature don't you think that its time for your move over to the DU,thou Mistress of the Queens English ?
Moron:D

lacarnut
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Why aren't those hippies sunk yet?

That's what I am talking about. Plus, let the terrorists swim to shore.

MountainMan
02-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Dont know. Ask his family.

Disagree with protestors all you like...a man died because they were too careless to check before they set the bomb off.

As someone who has actual real world experience with these losers from GreenPeace and the Sea Shepards from my time in the USCG, lets just say I have a hard time shedding a tear for them.

djones520
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
As someone who has actual real world experience with these losers from GreenPeace and the Sea Shepards from my time in the USCG, lets just say I have a hard time shedding a tear for them.

Don't know about Greenpeace, but I know Sea Shepherd brags about sinking ships. So I won't shed any tears if one of theirs happens to go down with all hands.

Sonnabend
02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
In your nasty nature don't you think that its time for your move over to the DU,thou Mistress of the Queens English ?

You mean Master. Or are you insinuating I'm Linda? :D

Sonnabend
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Greenpeace disowned Watson years ago.I have no time for them, but they are not connected to the Shepherds antics.

Credit where it is due..one is not connected to the other.

JB
02-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Try "to" some, it is.Are you seriously going to do this too? Isn't one on the board enough. The two of you completely disrupted the flow of the thread with this nonsense.

Is it just me? I always thought the messageboard grammar nazi was one step above a troll.

TxTenther
02-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Ram and sink them. They are eco-terrorists.

megimoo
02-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Are you seriously going to do this too? Isn't one on the board enough. The two of you completely disrupted the flow of the thread with this nonsense.

Is it just me? I always thought the messageboard grammar nazi was one step above a troll.Put it on ignore,It's going through the change of life!

lacarnut
02-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Are you seriously going to do this too? Isn't one on the board enough. The two of you completely disrupted the flow of the thread with this nonsense.

Is it just me? I always thought the messageboard grammar nazi was one step above a troll.

Or an asshole that does not have a life.